• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

storage suggestions for my dads family photos?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

My dad wants me to find him a flash drive that will last a long time and is able to handle a situation where if the flash drive was left a the car, forgotten, went through many hot summers, and still works when used again.

he wants to use the flash drive to back up all his family photos that are on the computer. i was thinking getting him this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233315

But then i thought there might be a better way like drop box or getting him a external hard drive instead. Just so you know, he prefers to use the software that came with the camera called "Picture Project" to extract and store his photos on his computer.

suggestions anyone?

I use WD my passport ultra 2TB and I've got a my passport 1TB for movies, photos etc and I've never had a issue with either, and I have left the 1TB drive in my car in the summer for 10 days (oops went on vacation lol) and it was totally fine. That's my 2 cents :D

I've used the Survivor, and well, it didn't. Mine lasted maybe a month, now it either doesn't register in any computer I plug it into or registers, but disconnects as soon as I start transferring files.

Surprisingly, in my experience, if you want endurance over temperature extremes, you want one of these - and I actually think most of the Cruzer line is good, mine just has the white slider. I leave one with some MP3s in my cars stereo, which I didn't leave in a garage in college in Vermont. This means it has spent extended periods of time in both sub-zero (Fahrenheit) temperatures and 100+ temps (my car has a dark gray/black interior). Still works.

Another idea if he doesn't mind a bit of bulk is one of these. I have one with a couple Samsung HDDs in Raid-0, but getting some HDDs or maybe even small SSDs and setting them up in Raid-1 is just as easy. It's fairly small (it's actually not much bigger than an internal 3.5" drive) and works well.

Of course, some sort of cloud storage would be good, as then your data is near impervious to single drive failure.

Last edited:
Google Drive or Dropbox. If he's worried about privacy or them shutting down explain what a nutjob he is until he understands.

If he's really that worried tell him to keep whatever the drive is in a safe deposit box

Back