• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding a stock compaq case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ObiwanShinobi

So Im planning on modding my girlfriends computer case for fun and possibly a V-day present. Its a compaq case, its pretty small. Not too much room to work with. Possibly only room for 1 cold cathode light, maybe 2. Heres a picture of it without the side panel on it:
10658456_tp.jpg

I was thinking of adding a window that curves do hide the drive racks. I dont really know if I will be able to do that with a dremel though.
I was also thinking about putting some plexiglass on the top and on the dvd drive. Thats all I could really come up with right now. Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

nothin' says lovin' like a modded computer case...

red/pink cold cathodes...are they out there? I know they have fans with red LEDs in them...i just put one in a friend's case. (going along with valentines day...) maybe move that case speaker and drop a 120mm fan there in the front. Maybe something a little different than a normal window on the side, some sort of design, like stripes...nothing too elaborate, but not just a boring old window. coaster wheels on the bottom? Paint the outside? If you put a window on the dvd drive, i'd suggest leaving the metal that goes overtop of the laser and the center of the tray/dvd disc.

I did what you're thinking of doing years back, it's very easily done with a jigsaw and a metal cutting blade:

12r.jpg

I curved my window around the drive cages and stuck a window in the top too. I then drilled holes in both the case door and the plexiglass and passed small 2.5mm bolts through, I love the effect.

It's very easily done, even with no experience. Mine is an Antec case made of 1mm steel, and a decent metal cutting blade just glides through it like butter.

:)

Heres a real old pic of the same case, shows the curves a bit better:

image3.jpg

Back