• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does anyone own a DSLR camera?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deadly

Registered
I'm looking to upgrade my 2003 point and shoot digital camera. It's served me well over the years but I'm really having an issue with flash. If I turn flash off, I get a blurry, low quality picture. If I turn it on (even low flash setting), the light is too much and ruins the picture with an annoying shining light.

So I am looking for a new camera that will allow me to take a picture like what I'm seeing using my own eyes (if that makes sense) without any annoying "flash" issues. I never heard of DSLR before until a few weeks ago. Would an entry level DSLR camera be a good choice or would I still be dealing with an annoying "flash" in my pictures? Do I need to be a rocket scientist to use one, or is it easy? Cost is not much of a concern...I don't want to spend over $500 though so anything at the "professional" level is out of my budget. I am looking at entry level only.

I'm looking at getting the Sony alpha 200 right now and it seems to have good review and is just under $500. Thanks for any help or advice.

I own a Nikon D40. This is hands down THE camera you should buy. Check out this review of it at Ken Rockwell. Awesome site; easy to read, great free info. The kit lens that it comes with is fantastic. It seems weightless! It's also smaller than any of the competition's offerings. Adorama has it for $450. My mother has the Canon equivalent, the Rebel XSi and I've used both. You'll LOVE the Nikon. I recently upgraded the lens to the 18-200 which is mega sweet, but pricey. Feel free to ask me ANY questions. I bought my D40 in January and have devoured everything DSLR resource related. Hit me up!

I've a Nikon D80 which is leaning towards serious hobbiest or professional. Probably a little much but the D40 is a good starter model.
i would stick with a 'camera' manufacturer: Nikon, canon, Fuji, Kodak. your options for lenses and accessories will be greater and not as proprietary as Sony is known to be. Tere are also some 'hybrid' DSLR's with excellent reviews as point shoot replacements.

D40 is the way to go, great picture quality, lightweight and is well priced right now, the D50 is also a nice entry level DSLR.

i'm by no means a Camera person, but my dad has the Canon 400D. it's discontinued now, replaced by the Canon 450D am i correct?
it comes with a 55-80mm lens and one that goes up to 300mm. these lenses aren't the best of quality, but i believe it's a great camera for 'noobs' or beginners. my dad's into photography, but doesn't want to spend $h1tloads on one...so he bought the 400D.

10 megapixel of sweatness ;)

EDIT: 10.1 megapixel :santa:

It might on SLRs though. :)

Still, I hate when I tell people I just bought an SX10 IS and people ask omgkewl how many megapixels and I say 10 and they just go "oh" and think(Mine at home has 12!)

Anyways, I sold a dSLR to someone on here a while back, maybe they'll chime in.

My non-slr has high med low off settings for flash. I know better cameras have more adjustments, I'm sure it's mentioned on the mfr's site.

Personally I'd look at the Olympus SLR, it's about $1300 but afaik it's the only slr on the market right now with a swivel lcd

I'm looking to upgrade my 2003 point and shoot digital camera. It's served me well over the years but I'm really having an issue with flash. If I turn flash off, I get a blurry, low quality picture. If I turn it on (even low flash setting), the light is too much and ruins the picture with an annoying shining light.

If this is what you are looking for, you are going to need to get either image stabilized lenses, or "fast" lenses. Neither of these options are going to come cheap though. One option would be to get good quality tripod, don't even consider those flimsy $20 ones. A good quality tripod will set you back a couple hundred, but they can be used with any camera, and are worth every penny.

If you are still looking to go the dslr route, in addition to the kit lens, pick up a 50 mm prime. Everyone that gets an slr camera should learn to use a 50mm lens. Prime lenses are a cheap way to get good quality, fast glass. You can save up you money to get a fast zoom lens later down the road.

Another thing to consider is a flash that can be swiveled, so you can bounce the light coming from it, or one you can attach a diffuser to. This hobby gets complicated quicky, as you can see. Good luck, and don't hesitate to post more questions.

Last edited:
D40 is the way to go, great picture quality, lightweight and is well priced right now, the D50 is also a nice entry level DSLR.
Given your budget of under $500, the D40 would be an excellent choice for you. It has most of the automatic features you seem to desire and it is rock solid quality. There are many cameras available right now with every gee whiz electronic option you can think of....but with a mediocre lens. That's like putting 1950s bias ply tires on a new Porsche. All DSLR Nikons, even the entry level (D40) models, come stock with superb quality lenses.

I'm currently using a Nikon D90. My previous DSLR was a D70. (Previous to that it was mainly Olympus and Canon SLRs.)

Just to save some confusion. The above poster means "find a flash that can swiveled." not a lens. :)

That might have ended ip with you lookig at tilt-shift lens and they are bloody expensive.

I'd say have a look at the-digital-picture.com for some good reviews on canon equipment.

If you want a twisting LCD Sony also make a camera with the feature. TBH my camera supports live view but I never do.

I own a Pentax K20D a few lenses for it; I love it. The body is weathersealed (some of the lenses too), build quality is excellent, ergonomics are perfect, it has in-body CCD-shift shake reduction, IQ is excellent, price is very reasonable etc. Only significant drawback is the poor continuous focus tracking compared to the Nikon or Sony dslrs.

There is no competition to the Pentax K20D at it's price point ..the last time I checked, it was US$680 or thereabouts. I checked out the K20D and chose it carefully after examining all the systems (I have no legacy lenses at all so I had a full choice of systems).

Avoid the ultra-low end budget dslrs like the the canon 1000D or Nikon D60...they are quite crippled in features (the D60 does not even have MLU or the ability to autofocus screw driven lenses). Spend a little bit more and get a body that you wont have to upgrade for a while.

Here is a useful article.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...er/2009/04/top-ten-recommended-cameras-3.html

EDIT: Also check out the Pentax K-M/K2000 and the K200D, both are significantly cheaper than the K20D.

Avoid the ultra-low end budget dslrs like the the canon 1000D or Nikon D60...they are quite crippled in features (the D60 does not even have MLU or the ability to autofocus screw driven lenses).

That is worthy of note; if you get a D40 (still my vote) then you're using Nikon AF-S lenses. But imho you should be anyways. :)

I'm not sure if the OP is coming back but at least someone searching threads will hopefully find this one.

So I am looking for a new camera that will allow me to take a picture like what I'm seeing using my own eyes (if that makes sense) without any annoying "flash" issues. I never heard of DSLR before until a few weeks ago. Would an entry level DSLR camera be a good choice or would I still be dealing with an annoying "flash" in my pictures? Do I need to be a rocket scientist to use one, or is it easy? Cost is not much of a concern...I don't want to spend over $500 though so anything at the "professional" level is out of my budget. I am looking at entry level only.

I'm looking at getting the Sony alpha 200 right now and it seems to have good review and is just under $500. Thanks for any help or advice.

To give you another route to consider, I recently made a camera purchase with a similar budget, but after trying out a lot of different DSLR's, settled on a different category of camera - the "point-and-shoot for the SLR user" class.

Right now, there are two models that top those charts, and tons of debate over which is superior. They are the Canon Powershot G10 and the Panasonic LX3. There's a Leica-branded model out there that's identical to the LX3 but twice as pricey, FYI (the LX3 uses the same Leica lens).

Of the two, I finally settled on the G10. It offers quality that, in the right conditions, can rival medium format equipment (at a 13x19 print). It has the "auto-everything" that keep point+shoots popular, while maintaining as much or more control over aperture/shutterspeed as entry level DSLR's. To boot, it's a lot easier to carry around with me - which means I find myself taking more opportunities for a great shot than I would if I left the camera at home.

That said, if you are out to take very rapid shots or lots of evening/night shots using only ambient light, you'll probably be better off selecting one of the entry-level DSLR options out there.

Brand new retail for the G10 is about $400 as of when I purchased a few weeks ago, and less if you're patient for a deal, so it'd fit well within your budget.

Whatever you choose - do your homework, and spend the time/effort to find and 'test-drive' your narrowed options in a store before laying down the cash! =)

...I'm really having an issue with flash. If I turn flash off, I get a blurry, low quality picture. If I turn it on (even low flash setting), the light is too much and ruins the picture with an annoying shining light.

Not sure if this has already been pointed out, but just to be sure you've heard it: A universal truth is that if you take a photo with less light - such as without flash in a dim situation - then you will be increasingly fighting blurriness due to handshake and/or subject movement. That's a reality of any camera. Some newer digital cameras have optical stabilization technologies (worth it - really works!) that can help with the handshake side, but there are going to be times that to get a shot, you'll simply have to deal with flash (that's why it's out there).

That said, flash is like a tool in your photographer's toolbox - albeit one you may understandably prefer to avoid. Like any tool, you can develop skills to help you use it, when needed, with better end-results. Annoying effects caused by flash (foreground overexposure, off colors, glare on eyeglasses, and more) can often be mitigated with different approaches!

Last edited:
At work I sometimes use a Canon D5 Mark II, and it looks complicated. And you can fiddle with the settings for hours, but if you put it on auto it does a fantastic job, and you could be a chimp in a mental instutute and still get decent pictures with it (but you wont need the Canon D5).

The Nikon D40 is great. And other people have mentioned some other fantastic cameras too.

However if you go for one of these cameras. It will be more bulky and it will be a bit more effort to take it places. And you'll worry about it more, but on the bright side you'll treat it better. :)

If you go for a Camera, best brands IMO are Nikon and Canon. Other brands will do good too. But I prefer Canon or Nikon.

I own a Nikon D40. This is hands down THE camera you should buy. Check out this review of it at Ken Rockwell. Awesome site; easy to read, great free info. The kit lens that it comes with is fantastic. It seems weightless! It's also smaller than any of the competition's offerings. Adorama has it for $450. My mother has the Canon equivalent, the Rebel XSi and I've used both. You'll LOVE the Nikon. I recently upgraded the lens to the 18-200 which is mega sweet, but pricey. Feel free to ask me ANY questions. I bought my D40 in January and have devoured everything DSLR resource related. Hit me up!

I've got a D40 as well. Love it. Very light and easy and fun to use and the screen is very bright and easy to look at.

I've had it a year and still haven't got much past point and click though :p

^ David, check out Ken Rockwell's guide for the D40. Its quick and super easy to read. Highly informative site.

To give you another route to consider, I recently made a camera purchase with a similar budget, but after trying out a lot of different DSLR's, settled on a different category of camera - the "point-and-shoot for the SLR user" class.

The G10 and other such cameras are fun and have a plethora of features but they have the same internals as the manufacturer's pocket cams, with slr type controls. Therefore the route many people take is buying a full DSLR and a pocket cam. I've got a little canon sd870, I call it a 'bar cam', because its what I cram into a pocket to go to a bar or a party where I wouldn't want to risk breaking my D40. Ken Rockwell's review of the G10 yields:

Ken Rockwell said:
Gotchas

Why is it that as cameras get more processing horsepower, they never seem to handle any faster? The most important feature I want is speed, not more pixels! Unlike an SLR, the G10 still has annoying habits like having no EXIT button to get me out of what I'm twiddling and just shoot. Pressing the shutter halfway doesn't always get me out. I sometimes have to wait for it to get itself out of whatever I was doing before I can shoot, or worse, have to back-pedal through the menus myself before I can shoot.

Forget the marketing poop about DIGIC 4. The G10 isn't any faster doing things than any older Canon compact camera. All that processing power is being wasted somehow.

The G10 is the best compact digital camera I've ever used. The gotcha words are "digital" and "compact." Maddeningly, like all other compact (non-interchangable lens) cameras, the G10 still takes too darn long to adjust or change anything. Forget the G10 for moving subjects.

Don't buy a G10 for photos of family, friends, or of your kids. For photos of people and action you want an SLR like the Nikon D40 or Canon Digital Rebel XTi, which react far faster for action. Compact cameras like the G10 just aren't fast enough.

Forget shooting with flash. It can take forever (10 seconds) for it to recycle between shots, and like most compact cameras, exposure is all over the map.

The G10 has strap lugs, and feels best worn as a strap-on. That's the problem: if I have to wear it around my neck, I'd rather have a small SLR like a digital Rebel or D40, any of which outperform the G10 in both speed and and image quality.

The G10 has a great lens, but so what. If you're splitting pixels, its image quality is still hampered by its tiny sensor. High ISOs are crummy; even ISO 800 is obviously grainy in 5x7" (12x19cm) prints. Any SLR is far superior at high ISOs, even at ISO 200.

The G10's histogram is only suitable for shooting black-and white; there is no color histogram.

The LCD has too much junk on it. It's actually impossible to clear away all the junk to compose a picture! At the very minimum, you'll see an indication of the exposure compensation value (even if zero) and a meter mode icon superimposed over your image as you compose. Hello, Japan: the time for video games is not while I'm trying to compose an image!

No one who owns a G10 complains about any of this. People who own G10s bought them for travel and landscape photography, and for their compact size compared to SLRs.

The fact that I'm comparing the G10 to SLRs, and not to other compacts, should tell you a lot.

Raw: Who cares?

The G10 can shot raw files. So what? Like all compact cameras, the tiny sensor has so much noise, compared to any true SLR, that there isn't anything to lose in the JPG format.

Last edited:
Canon xsi!!!!! Wonderful camera. (It even comes with a good kit lens unlike most cameras in this class.)

Back