• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Build Log: Water & Wood

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MIAHALLEN

Water & Wood

This is a desk build...in other words, it will be built into my desk. The desk is made from pine, which is why I'm calling this Water & Wood.

Direct links to updates:
  1. motherboard tray slider installation
  2. GPU waterblocks and the fan wall
  3. more pics of the fan wall assembled
  4. first reassembly
  5. fill port and leak testing
  6. final loop flush
  7. PWM controller wired, and blocks cleaned & mounted
  8. first fulll assembly with water cooling
  9. initial temp testing, air VS water
  10. 1st dust filter built, and pump mounted
  11. work started on the front panel, and PSU sleeving complete
  12. work started on the front door and window
  13. work on the front door continues...until disaster strikes...also new air filter installed
  14. new GPU backplates installed ...then tragedy strikes the 2nd front door :mad:
  15. Impressive the difference proper tools can make
  16. Water & Wood is nominated for bit-tech's MOTM...VOTE FOR ME!

Direct links to videos:
  1. water cooling components 1st flush
  2. custom PWM fan wall in operation
  3. loop flow demo
  4. 1700W from a 1050W PSU!!!
  5. window etching time lapse video
  6. Playing a little DCS A-10C with headtracking

Parts list

Water cooling parts

I've got quite a few unique ideas for this build, but it's going to be slow going for another month or so. I'm still working out a full parts list, but many are asking about the build, so I wanted to give you something to look at while you wait :cool:

Swiftech and Coldzero Team will be sponsoring this build, thanks a ton! :D
site_logo.gif.png
logo-black.png

Read my Maximus IV Extreme review here: part 1, part 2
M4E_studio-1.jpg

WW4.jpg

WW3.jpg

WW1.jpg

parts1.jpg

parts2.jpg

parts3.jpg

parts4.jpg

parts5.jpg

parts6.jpg

I plugged the loop into Martin's Pump & Rad Optimizer to see what it said...of course there are a couple caveats
  • My rads are 420s, not 320s
  • My blocks are the new (more restrictive) design for the 580
  • My CPU is planned to be run in parallel with the GPUs

idle (200W -- 1000RPM -- pump @ 50%)
WW_min.jpg

max load (1000W -- 2600RPM -- pump @ 100%)
WW_max.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/build-pc/4318067

Have you seen that one? Drawing any inspiration from it?

Honestly, I think anyone who has ever entertained the idea of a project of this magnitude has seen that more than a few times. :D Don't forget the l3p D3SK.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=256952

Both of these are very cool projects, but mine will be more functional, and with less bling. Here is a hint: my inspiration is coming from the frustration of working in the confines of a case :bang head

More soon :thup:

Nice start miah. I too am getting agitated at the fact that building a water-cooling system in my case is a PITA. Trying to fit a 320 in my case and it barely fits and looks like crap. Definitely going to be back for updates though.

So, I'm waiting for the watercooling gear to arrive, but I've got a question for all of you...I'm thinking of using some new Koolance U-pipes, there are three versions at PPCs:
CNT-RP402X2
CNT-RP402X21
CNT-RP452X2
I'm going to have three MCR420-QP rads all mounted side by side, and I can vary the spacing as I please....

th_MCR420-SPEC.jpg
....at a bare minimum, the center of the inlet on one will be 35mm from the center of the inlet on the next (if the rads are mounted nearly touching one another). The problem is, I do not know the distance between the center of the ends of these U-Pipes. I think ideally, I'd like to have 40mm of spacing.

th_u-pipe.jpg

If anyone owns these U-pipes, or the matching Koolance resevoirs, can you please measure these points, and let me know the spacing? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Back