• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power estimations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Need a guesstimation here

8320 oc'd to 4.5-5.0ghz (1.4-1.5 volts)
2x gigabyte windforce r9 270x in crossfire
3 x 500gb-1TB 7200 hdd's
1 x 320gb 15000 rpm hdd (yes. 15k rpm)
1 x 250 gb 10000 rpm hdd
4 x 120mm fans (2 front, 2 rear)
2 x 140mm fans (2 top)
1 x 120mm fan for HDD

I was thinking 1000w would clear me here, is that over kill?

calculated about 700 watts, so yes, 750watt psu would be safe. If you overclock your graphics cards. I would say 850 watt to be safe.

750w is plenty.

Its not though... unless my PSU is dying from old age here, I had to downclock my CPU to keep things from turning off, WITH ONE r9 270x mind you. (Granted this may be entirely possible).

Are you sure its the psu overloading? not an unstable overclock?
Does your psu fan ramp up?

You could try taking a gpu out(since you run two) then overclocking. Then you will find if its your overclock or your psu

Are you sure its the psu overloading? not an unstable overclock?
Does your psu fan ramp up?

I'm 1000000% positive it's super stable overclock. It's definitely a power supply issue, as the psu simply turned off. (Overload protection).

Are you guys taking the over clocked 8320 into consideration, or using its stock power requirements? I've seen kill a watt readings anywhere from 300-450 on these 8 cored chips.

I was taking the overclock into consideration. What model is your psu?

Coolermaster TX700, its pretty old, so it not putting out enough juice is probably within the realm of possibilities here.

750w is enough for that overclocked cpu and gpus. Gpus are 180 max each full load stock (likely won't hot that stock unless mining or folding). Overclocked and adding voltage, 200w. Say 600w total with those all running full tilt. Give 100w for the rest. That is 700w if everything in your rig ran with 100% load which doesn't happen really. If you feel unsafe, go 800w.

If its an old psu, and also a cooler master which was hit and miss, that could be it. The wattage should be fine.

I'm not familiar with that psu. You could be very right then. From the information you have provided, if you buy a 750 watt psu, you should be fine with your build. 850 for more headroom.

Well, glad to hear. 750 watters are much much cheaper :D

Thanks guys, guess its time to repair... shame yours isnt 750 earth dog :(

Back