• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silly question, but can I puchase other brand's modular PSU cable for my PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pmap93

Registered
Hi.

Just making sure here :p

All modular connectors are standard right?

I have a GIGABYTE ODIN PRO 800W power supply, but I wanted to use the Corsair cables because they are much more aesthetically pleasing :p

Connectors may be the same, but im sure pin outs too right? :p

I need to connect more fans, some how...i have only two 3 pin connectors (that has only two pins inside) from powersupply and i don't exactly know waht to do.

:shrug:

Last I heard, no, they aren't standardized. If you need more fans, they make 3pin splitters (example)

Edit: Just realized you're in Dubai, I don't know of many sites that'll ship them internationally.

I'll try to find them here :) I just want to know what to get.

BTW, these are three pins, so does that mean, speed it lower or has to be used through controller or something?

Cuz currently i have only two pin, so that runs full speed

I'll try to find them here :) I just want to know what to get.

BTW, these are three pins, so does that mean, speed it lower or has to be used through controller or something?

Cuz currently i have only two pin, so that runs full speed

If you plug the fans directly into the power supply, they would run constantly at full speed, yes. The third wire isn't really for direct control, it transmits the RPM signal from the fan to the source. Since there isn't anything on the power supply to read the signal, that's why they didn't bother putting in that third wire.

If you do want some sort of speed control, then yeah, you would need to either plug it in to the motherboard or get a separate controller.

I want to get them Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition. :) They are quiet at full speed.

No i don't really wish to get some control. I just don't really know what the third one is for.

So if I plug this wire you suggested, from the PSU to Fan, even with the third RPM wire included, it will still run full speed yes? :)

I want to get them Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition. :) They are quiet at full speed.

No i don't really wish to get some control. I just don't really know what the third one is for.

So if I plug this wire you suggested, from the PSU to Fan, even with the third RPM wire included, it will still run full speed yes? :)

Yes, they would run at full speed, but if you get quieter fans and are ok with it then it shouldn't be a problem.

You could always get something like this its relatively cheap and will get the job done.

It's not so much that they aren't standardized as that they aren't standardized and plugging the wrong cable in will destroy significant amounts of hardware.

You could always get something like this its relatively cheap and will get the job done.

That may not work in this case. That's a PWM distributor, while 2 wire/3 wire fans aren't PWM based. The only way to adjust speed is to adjust the incoming voltage, and even then some fans don't offer a wide range of control that way, if any control at all.

This is just a random one, but see how it has the 3 pin connectors on that back? That means it can adjust non-PWM fans.

Well they also have the 3-pin variants and have connectors for 4-pin molex, PCIE, and SATA, even 8-pin depending on the need. I would assume they will provide the required power needed for 3-pin fans.

Back