• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seasonic Platinum 1000W or 1200W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidst95

Hi, my current PSU is going bad. I bought a used one on ebay which was a bad mistake. Amazon has a Seasonic Platinum 1000W for $185 after rebate or a Seasonic 1200W for $219 after rebate. I have a I7-4770K overclock to 4.2 ghz. I also have 32 GB of RAM and 2 AMD R9 290X video cards. I have two SSD and two HDD. Would I be OK with the 1000W or should I spend the extra money and get the 1200W? Thanks for any advice.

David

http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-PLAT...=UTF8&qid=1405655140&sr=8-4&keywords=seasonic

http://www.amazon.com/SeaSonic-ATX1...=UTF8&qid=1405655140&sr=8-6&keywords=seasonic

Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out. I always been a seasonic fan so I really haven't looked at out companies.

So I might make a compromise. I think I'm going to get the EVGA SuperNova 1000W. My R9 290X are factory overclocked.

So I might make a compromise. I think I'm going to get the EVGA SuperNova 1000W. My R9 290X are factory overclocked.

That is massive overkill.

850W still gives you almost 200W of headroom, why waste money for more wattage?

850W is plenty for that setup. Save some money and get that EVGA... There is no need for a 1KW+ PSU. None.

get the evga 850, plenty for you and an awsome unit, I have one and am very happy i do.

Overkill smoverkill. I'm a firm believer of "it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".

Yeah I know I "didn't need" a 1350w psu, but I went ahead and bought it anyway. The superdeal it was offered for helped a helluva lot too! :p

Overkill smoverkill. I'm a firm believer of "it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".

Yeah I know I "didn't need" a 1350w psu, but I went ahead and bought it anyway. The superdeal it was offered for helped a helluva lot too! :p

And honestly he doesn't even need 850W, the G2 750W would still give plenty of overclocking headroom.

Neb, you "didn't need" a 600W PSU, LOL!

The reason why I say get a properly sized PSU is as follows...

1. You spend more money than you have to by overbuying - If one may SLI/CFx in the future, then surely buy for that. If not, don't!
2. The PSU runs outside of its peak efficiency curve - While this really isn't a huge deal as the difference is usually around 2%, that is the difference between the 80+ ratings. So say you pay the premium for gold and overbuy on your wattage, because of where you run the PSU, you are less efficient and should have bought a silver model. Again, not a huge deal...

Basically, you are loading that 1.3KW PSU to 350W on its worst day. I hope that thing was around $60. Otherwise, you could have taken the family out to dinner and still had a PSU that was 'better to have and not need than to need and not have' in the 600-750W range if you wanted to CFx down the line. :)

:rofl:, yeah I know. I spent my xtra beer money on it, but the deal I got from OW was just too good to pass up!

I've been thinking of getting a 700w unit to replace this beast with, but my timing is lousy at best. Everytime I get a chance to pull the trigger on one, something else gets in the way (car, kid, grandkids) and of course they trump my pc ;)

the eVGA / Super Flower units are solid, Mine has been bullet proof thus far and I have beaten that thing to death.

SeaSonics are great as well and go on sale every now and again

Agree with ED, if no X-fire is in your future the 850 will work nicely be it SeaSonic or eVGA

the eVGA / Super Flower units are solid, Mine has been bullet proof thus far and I have beaten that thing to death.

SeaSonics are great as well and go on sale every now and again

Agree with ED, if no X-fire is in your future the 850 will work nicely be it SeaSonic or eVGA

I love Seasonic myself, but EVGA has the 750/850W category locked down.
And nobody in their right mind would snub their nose at a nice Super Flower unit :)

I push 4.8GHz+ on my 4770K and OC the crap out of my two 280X's on that EVGA SuperNova G2 850W and the fan doesn't even come out of ECO mode.

LOL, my 750W EVGA model (same as the 850 for the most part) runs an overclocked 295x2 and a 4.7GHz 4930K.............

...... it peaked at 889W at the wall while never dipping below 830W. So it was running at its labeled output power and more for this little ambient benching session.

Beasts. They are beasts.

(don't try that at home folks)

:rofl:

I have to admit, I panicked a little bit when I saw those values on the kill-a-watt (ATM knows, I was on TS with him, LOL!)... Assuming 90% efficiency, that is ~750W and peaking at ~800W.

I think I'll get the evga 850W instead of the 1000W. It's only $119 on Amazon after the rebate. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back