• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help getting NT4 to recognize hard drive for install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mizzery

I had a customers computer crash and they were running NT4 SP6 (needed for some legacy applications). When trying to run the install from the CD - there are no storage devices shown except for the CD-ROM. This is a standard PATA hard drive. No storage drivers except from the manufacturer except for a raid card (not in this configuration). I've tried hard drives of varying sizes down to 3gb, with no luck. The corrupted drive was a 20gb with an 18gb partition. How do I get NT to see the drive - bios sees it, and dos boot disks will.

I would think of it as a blessing and move on.

-Have you tried a Windows 2000 or XP cd to verify it's not a hardware issue?
-Have you tried starting the install from the NT4 floppies?

An alternate solution would be to run NT4 as a VM using Virtual server, Virtual PC, VMWare, etc. I've done this for legacy software in the past. Usually works fine.

I had a customers computer crash and they were running NT4 SP6 (needed for some legacy applications). When trying to run the install from the CD - there are no storage devices shown except for the CD-ROM. This is a standard PATA hard drive. No storage drivers except from the manufacturer except for a raid card (not in this configuration). I've tried hard drives of varying sizes down to 3gb, with no luck. The corrupted drive was a 20gb with an 18gb partition. How do I get NT to see the drive - bios sees it, and dos boot disks will.

I have a lot of NT experience, I will try to help you.

What motherboard is this?
Are the HD and CD on the same PATA interface?
Is the BIOS set to auto-detect the drive?
Is the drive configured in BIOS for LBA mode?

I ran into similar trouble with NT4 where it didn't know what to do with the partition table on the disk. Perhaps try fdisk from your dos disks, and delete all existing partitions on the drive, and then try again with the NT disc.

Back