• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Simple html form question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinky

Hi All,

I'm putting the finishing touches on my new business webpage. I'm going to be offering remote computer support via a Ultra VNC download package, but I don't want people to just be able to click a link as the VNC software will prompt me at my computer. Instead I would like to put a single hurtle in their path to prevent the link from immediately appearing, could even be a preset number that stays the same (1111 for example) that they have to nter into a form field, click submit, then it starts the download of the client. I just don't have enough experience with forms to know how easy/hard this might be, and googling has been tough because I don't know the proper keywords to search for... :bang head

Thanks for the suggestion Ebola :).

I tried the password protection script. I can get it to work in Frontpage, but when run as a page from my host it immediately goes to the default URL entered as the 'incorrect' password web address:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
<!-- Begin

var password;
var pass1 = "1111"; // place password here

password=prompt("Please enter the password provided by the technician:","");

if (password==pass1) {
  window.location= "pennywise_remote_support.exe"; // file to open if password is correct
} else {
  window.location= "index7.html"; // file to load if password is incorrect
}
// End -->
</script>

Any ideas? Note that I'm trying to use it to execute the file only, but it's not even prompting for a password so I don't think WHAT it loads matters.

Okay, nevermind - I found the password_protect.php file does everything I need and I was able to format it to look like the rest of my website so I'm golden :).

Thanks Ebola, your link started me on the right path.

Back