• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggest Video Card $2-350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thebizguy

I have built a new computer and I am seeking some suggestions on graphics options.

My budget is 2-300, however I would go to about 350 if I gained something significant. I would prefer to be left with an upgrade path such as adding a second card for SLI/CF, however if I start off with a dual CF/SLI system I am fine with that, it just needs have plenty of power.

I currently run a ATI 4850, so anything will be a big boost I am sure.

Is it my understanding AMD is great a bitcoin mining and Nvidia great at folding, whereas reversed they are terrible? I am considering both of them, probably leaning more to bitcoin mining

Are there any other considerations I should be aware of in choosing between the two companies?

Does one of them do better combined modes SLI/CF than the other?

Does SLI/CF modes have to include the same exact card/model number? In case I wanted to add the second later.

My new system is Asus Z68 deluxe, I7-2600k, 16G, 850AX Corsair. I currently have dual monitors at 1680 x 1050, want to move to 1900x1080 + and 3 monitors in the near future.

I only play Starcraft II and WOW right now.

Outside of normal computer tasks, I do a lot of video transcoding and want to do some live streaming.

My initial thoughts were a single 6970, CF 6850 or GTX 570. Perhaps I don't even need this much.

Thanks

:welcome: to the forums!!

I'd stay away from the 68xx when you are in the price range of a GTX 570 or 6970. If you don't mind some technical work, you can purchase a 6950 and flash the bios to a 6970 saving you some cash.

Regardless of which card you chose, you will be noticing a large gain in gaming performance.

Future tip: dump your computer spec's in your sig :)

:welcome: to the forums!!

I'd stay away from the 68xx when you are in the price range of a GTX 570 or 6970. If you don't mind some technical work, you can purchase a 6950 and flash the bios to a 6970 saving you some cash.

Regardless of which card you chose, you will be noticing a large gain in gaming performance.

Future tip: dump your computer spec's in your sig :)

I disagree. With the performance of crossfire beyond 2 cards, anything GTX570/580 should not be considered; especially when the GTX570 has poor VRM issues.

If you do not plan on upgrading with another card of the same generation down the road, 2 6850s and overclocking them past 6870 speeds will give similar performance to a GTX580/HD6970. If you can find them cheap enough, SLI 560Tis would do the trick as well. If you are willing to upgrade, grab a 6950 and a second or even third later.

Didn't read your mobo. So I don't know if you can tri-fire.

Every card added means more inefficiency. And for the performance you have more power consumption and generated heat then a single card. Not to mention you have to sell both off when you want to upgrade.

SLI or CFX should be kept as an upgrade option.

I disagree. With the performance of crossfire beyond 2 cards, anything GTX570/580 should not be considered; especially when the GTX570 has poor VRM issues.

If you do not plan on upgrading with another card of the same generation down the road, 2 6850s and overclocking them past 6870 speeds will give similar performance to a GTX580/HD6970. If you can find them cheap enough, SLI 560Tis would do the trick as well. If you are willing to upgrade, grab a 6950 and a second or even third later.

Didn't read your mobo. So I don't know if you can tri-fire.

Every card added means more inefficiency.
I agree with Knufire. When in doubt, I'd always go for a single card solution that trumps a dual card solution, simply because less variables to skew performance. Coding and programming are the reasons I stick with single card solutions and only move to dual card as a cheaper alternative to upgrading to the next refresh.

I keep reading the "go for a 6950 and mod it" references, but everywhere I look, the reference cards capable of that are out of stock. Where are you guys sourcing such cards? If you don't want to post any precious resources, I'll understand, but please PM me. I'm in need of a video solution, and that's the one I've been targeting.

Just returned a Visiontek to Large-mart because it came and wasn't a reference.

If you find them, let us know. They're getting increasingly rarer as time goes on. When the card first came out there was a ton of reference designs, now they're pretty hard to get ahold of.

Back