• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 AMD 6970s and wait for gtx 600 series vs 2 msi gtx 580 lightenings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
True but my b day in in feb so in some ways this is good because i might not even have to drop a single penny on this. WIN!!:clap:

Thats even a good reason to buy the best right now anyways It would be free in february... And just to clarify if they say that it will be release in feb It will be release 1 months after that. Yeah you will see all the advertising but when you would want to order one you will have like a months of waiting.

Ah, didn't know they delayed it for sure.

Looks like my 260 will pull me into 2012. Ah well.

The only thing that's going to make me sad is Skyrim...3 more months of low-med graphic settings.

I WOULD buy a card earlier, but I see no point. I'm not playing anything atm that needs an amazing video card, just things that need a large chunk of RAM and Processing power(which I've fixed with my system specs in sig)

I'm the type of person who upgrades ever 3-5 years, not 3-5 months.

I'll wait it out till April or so to see how Southern Island does compared to Kepler. By that time, the inital spike shortage will have died down, and prices lowered a bit.(hopefully)

Just go with two 6970s, get a third sometime in november. Plunking down $1200 for a dual-GPU solution isn't worth it. And tri-fire 6970 should murder dual-580 for not much more.

Knu, As your solution is okay, One card is enough if he is going to be gaming on one monitor/60 inch tv until he gets two more monitors. By thgen he can get the 600 series(if their out)

3 way video cards also has to have a motherboard that supports it, AND a really good PSU. Not only that, but you are only getting about %50 from the third card due to bandwidth. Complete and total waste.

One card is fine, a GTX 570 will hold you over till 600 series, OR a Radeon 6970.

Come on what an argument... Seriously you talking about someone who wants to use 3 screen with 2 cards in physx and you say *wasting money in electricity* haha !

by the way 25fps is very low ! I cant even play with that kind of fps its looks to much blury and I cant imagine having someone with a 60 inch tv that have 25fps that would look ugly o_O

What? FPS is not accountable for blurring the image. Resolution, motion blur, refresh rate, and or graphics settings are what will make the image "blurry".

60 FPS with 16x MOAA will be blurry.

Just go with two 6970s, get a third sometime in november. Plunking down $1200 for a dual-GPU solution isn't worth it. And tri-fire 6970 should murder dual-580 for not much more.

tri 6970s already walk over tri 580s.

Knu, As your solution is okay, One card is enough if he is going to be gaming on one monitor/60 inch tv until he gets two more monitors. By thgen he can get the 600 series(if their out)

3 way video cards also has to have a motherboard that supports it, AND a really good PSU. Not only that, but you are only getting about %50 from the third card due to bandwidth. Complete and total waste.

One card is fine, a GTX 570 will hold you over till 600 series, OR a Radeon 6970.

Until you are pulling at least 60 fps as your minimals, then no.

3 6970s typically give anywhere from 230-270% performance increases over 1 card. That is higher then 50% for the third.

What? FPS is not accountable for blurring the image. Resolution, motion blur, refresh rate, and or graphics settings are what will make the image "blurry".

60 FPS with 16x MOAA will be blurry.

Everyone understood what I meant ...

They don't, [H] did a review and they about tied. Then they reran the tests and found out that tri-SLI 580s can actually bottleneck a 2600K at stock speed, and that with the CPU OCed, tri 580s performed somewhere between 2-25% better, depending on the game. For a LOT more money.

They don't, [H] did a review and they about tied. Then they reran the tests and found out that tri-SLI 580s can actually bottleneck a 2600K at stock speed, and that with the CPU OCed, tri 580s performed somewhere between 2-25% better, depending on the game. For a LOT more money.

Its funny cuz I found out that even with my OC at 5ghz My cpu was bottleneck my 2x6990 ... So I need to have a better cpu haha I think these card are futur proof for 2 years maybe :p

Two of your cards are also 4 gpu's in total. 4 GTX 580's would be bottlenecked by cpu. 2 590s would be bottlenecked.

It isn't enough to warrent upgrading tho, when you have that much video power, fps isn't an issue, even with a slight bottleneck of the cpu.

Unless you care bout bench scores...4x vid cards and bottlenecked cpu will still outperform 3x vid cards and not so much bottlenecked cpu.

So what would you recommend in the mean time? Get a z68 and live with on board video or buy a cheap video card liv with it and then get the 600 series set of cards hen it comes out? I was looking at a gtx 480 (single card) for the time being but the other guy who posted said a 560 ti will do the job. I was also looking at a 570.

True but my b day in in feb so in some ways this is good because i might not even have to drop a single penny on this. WIN!!:clap:

sorry for the late answer. get a used 460 and play the games you like and hold it until feb 2012.

Not to be a downer...but with a 570 as physx with two GTX 690's would slow those two 690's down. you would get better fps and performance with those two cards handling the physx.
the gtx570 wouldn't slow the system down if it does physx only . . .

@Domino, please use multiquote for . . . multiple quotes instead of making several posts. Someone could think of it as a way of increasing post count
<.<
>.>

I thought it would act like a high clock 570 sli'd with a low clock 570 if it were in physx. Thx for correcting me on this.

the physx card doesn't interfere with the SLI cards,it works without SLI bridge

a 570 for physx is overkill though lol

Back