Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

Interesting Question: Can You Get Temporary Internet Service

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 08:17 AM Thread Starter   #1
setotitan

Interesting Question: Can You Get Temporary Internet Service

I had a friend ask me today a question that actually stumped me. They have a guest that's in town and they're letting them stay at on of their houses they have for sale. The house only has the basics, power and water, but no cable or internet. Is their a way to get "temporary internet service". It's early, I haven't had my caffeine, the hamster's not on the wheel, HahaHa! Any out of the box thinkers that have an idea?
setotitan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-10-12, 12:09 PM   #2
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

You can sign up and cancel service at any time without being in a contract. That should do the trick?

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-10-12, 12:22 PM   #3
gangaskan

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
You can sign up and cancel service at any time without being in a contract. That should do the trick?
best way i think.

without going further that is, you can have them scan for open wifi (but i highly suggest against it under legality)

other options could be cell service cards, or dial up service (yikes!)

Main Rig: [Silverstone TJ06 painted hammer black] [Intel E6550 3.2 ghz 1.35v ] [4 gigs Gskil] [Asus P5k Premium Wifi/ap] [Soundblaster Audiguy ZS platinum] [ATI 3560 pro] [enhiem 1250 pump, Swiftech Storm, primoflex tubing, mcres micro, maze 4 gpu block][ Windows Vista x64 Ultimate sp1]
HTPC: [LianLI V300B] [Opty 165 1.88 ghz] [Thermalright XP90] [2 gb OCZ Platinum DDR400] [Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Music] [8600GT Stock] [Windows Vista Home Premium sp1]
Server: [Rocketfish Tower] [c2d E6600][Scythe Ninja Jr] [4 gigs Gskil ddr2 800][ATI X850XT ] [Windows Vista B]
Network: Cisco 851W uptime: forever
Heatware
gangaskan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-10-12, 02:06 PM Thread Starter   #4
setotitan

I think that's going to be the best option, ISP's have a pretty decent install time for new service. I was just thinking in cellular terms, that she'd need to sign up for a contract or something. But most are month to month. I was more looking for something that may or may not exist, like withe iPad how you can turn on cellular and use the data for a month, but have that in say a USB dongle form?

(I always laugh when I read dongle, I'm such a child)

EDIT:
Answered my own question, found this magical device, where else, WALMART: T-Mobile 4G Prepaid Rocket USB Laptop Stick

Thanks for your help everyone!

Last edited by setotitan; 07-10-12 at 02:15 PM.
setotitan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-10-12, 02:13 PM   #5
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

I own a CLEAR Spot:
http://www.clear.com/devices/spots

That is another option. No contract, just depends if you have coverage in your area. I've used it in the past when I travel, so I don't have to worry about wifi connectivity. Since usually I travel to big cities, I usually have good 4G coverage.

I used it at CES this year as well. I activated when I left for Vegas, and I canceled when I got home - they actually refunded me so the week of service even turned out to be free.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.