• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to make liquid coolant for my pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ASUS ROG

Over the past year, i have been using premix liquid coolant from EK and Koolance, now i want to mix my own coolant but i don't know how and where to start, somebody please help.:bang head:ty:

Distilled water and biocide (silver killcoil or PHN Nuke). That's all that's required. So long as you don't have aluminum in your loop, you don't need corrosion inhibitors.

Propylene glycol is a modern anti-freeze and heat transfer liquid that is non-toxic (as long as you don't drink a couple of gallons) and is used in cigar humidors and some opthalmalac eyedrops. In other words, safe. I don't know if it's used by the AIO folks or the water cooling loop folks yet (likely) but it's better than ethylene glycol (common automotive anti-freeze and quite toxic). You'll want to mix it with distilled water and some copper algaecide (a tiny amount, commonly used in swimming pools and stock tanks). That should about do it. Some other members here recommend some silver compound as well.

Start here for some basic mixtures:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/propylene-glycol-d_363.html :cool:

Distilled water and biocide (silver killcoil or PHN Nuke). That's all that's required. So long as you don't have aluminum in your loop, you don't need corrosion inhibitors.

+1

I used distilled + PTnuke for years without any issue at all.

So where can i get biocide or PHN nuke?, will those chemical damage or corrosive my water block or other part, i have 8 set of Koolance QDC and they're not cheap.

FrozenCPU or performancepcs are 2 good online stores. There are many other place to get biocide and WC parts.

The last biocide i used was a copper sulfate base PTnuke. Since most of your WC parts are cooper are nickel plated copper, copper sulfate wont react with these in the wrong way :)

I personnaly am the kind of WCer that use colored tubing if i want color. Pure distilled + biocide is the only thing i ever ( and ill ever in the futur ) put in my loop.

The instructions will tell you how to mix it. I can't remember off hand but a couple of drops is probably sufficient for most loops.

+1 to coloured tubing. Dyes tend to clog and stain your components. If you really want colour, some UV reactive tubing and UV lights will make your case shine like no tomorrow. You can also use LEDs in strategic locations for lighting in your reservoir.

The instructions will tell you how to mix it. I can't remember off hand but a couple of drops is probably sufficient for most loops.

+1 to coloured tubing. Dyes tend to clog and stain your components. If you really want colour, some UV reactive tubing and UV lights will make your case shine like no tomorrow. You can also use LEDs in strategic locations for lighting in your reservoir.

+1

I just turned blind by looking at all those color/lights in your rig ! Joking ;)

I dont like too much colored/lightned rig, but this is my personnal taste. Sometimes, only my onboard leds are too much for me. My EVGA X79 have alot of onboard light going on but they are pretty much all red and not to bright for me.

Buy a bottle of PHN Nuke or IANH Dead Water. The directions are on the bottle.

And get two gallons of distilled water from Walmart. Liquid problem solved.

It's also heavily covered in the stickies. You have read them right?

You know, some white tubing would look killer in that rig! You can also go with blue or green tubing. IMO, clear tubing with dye just doesn't pop as much as coloured tubing.

However, if you do want to go with dye, make sure to clean your loop and drain/fill it more regularly. Otherwise you run the risk of having the dye fall out of suspension and gum up your blocks. Not to mention dye likes to stain acrylic and clear tubing like crazy.

I STRONGLY suggest NOT using dye. Primochill LRT has great vibrant colors and the quality of the tubing is outstanding. To each his own ;)

I also agree, distilled water and some form of biocide. You will not need much, really I see no point in premixing by the gallon. I usually fill my loop with distilled water and then put 2-4 drops of biocide in the loop and enjoy!!

Modz

Thank Modz 4 Higher, that are the answer i have been asking for tho whole afternoon

No problem bud! If you have been using premixed coolant in the past, might I make a suggestion to you. Break your loop down, inspect and clean it thoroughly, and THEN fill with distilled water and biocide ;)

Modz

this, but no Nuke. nickel platting...
killcoil or silver tubing will do.

The only nickel plating i had trouble with is the poor EK WB "older" plating. They (EK) told that PTnuke was the problem but it was in fact the EK plating that was poor. They since have "upgraded" the plating they use.

PTnuke ( or similar ) had nothing to do with the problem. Im sad that EK started this gimic.

Back