• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Black And Red

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have red and black tube, but clear acrylic CPU/VRM/PCH, and RAM blocks. I want it red flowing through.

Do NOT work on your computer after about 8 vodkas listening to Alice In Chains.

First, I broke a RAM clamp because of the damn fan in front of it. It's no biggie, the water blocks hold it down.

Don't forget which way the hold down is supposed to go on after you switch a 2011 back plate for a 1366. Thanks to Intel and Asus, they make it idiot proof. If you put a CPU in backwards, you're a moron.

Make sure the EK logo on the blocks faces the same freaking way.

DSCN1368[1].JPG

DSCN1370[1].JPG

DSCN1375[1].JPG

DSCN1377[1].JPG

DSCN1378[1].JPG

I have red and black tube, but clear acrylic CPU/VRM/PCH, and RAM blocks. I want it red flowing through.

Do NOT work on your computer after about 8 vodkas listening to Alice In Chains.

First, I broke a RAM clamp because of the damn fan in front of it. It's no biggie, the water blocks hold it down.

Don't forget which way the hold down is supposed to go on after you switch a 2011 back plate for a 1366. Thanks to Intel and Asus, they make it idiot proof. If you put a CPU in backwards, you're a moron.

Make sure the EK logo on the blocks faces the same freaking way.

I also like EK's instructions for installing the monoblock. For the screws around the CPU, they say to use the enclosed allen wrench with the plastic washers. First off the washers are too freaking small and the screws have a Phillips head.

View attachment 146567

View attachment 146568

View attachment 146569

View attachment 146570

View attachment 146571

No, not custom made. They made one for another motherboard before. This is designed for the RIVBE. 187.50. :)

I'm still debating acrylic. I have everything in the shopping cart at PPC. The fittings, tubing, kit, shipping, and tax is like 410.00. Frozen CPU wanted like 80.00 for UPS 2 day and 170.00 for next day. I get next day Fed Ex ground from PPC for 13.80.

Last edited:
FrozenCPU is in my City I am probably 10-15 miuntes from my house to there. I have never ever stopped into their store. I always have it shipped to my house and I always got my stuff in 1 day :) every time, if I ordered before 2:00PM. $80-170 in shipping cost in 2 day air is none sense. I think it might be a mistake on their parts. $13.80 is much more reasonable.

Last edited:
No, not custom made. They made one for another motherboard before. This is designed for the RIVBE. 187.50. :)

I'm still debating acrylic. I have everything in the shopping cart at PPC. The fittings, tubing, kit, shipping, and tax is like 410.00. Frozen CPU wanted like 80.00 for UPS 2 day and 170.00 for next day. I get next day Fed Ex ground from PPC for 13.80.

I have found issues with shipping certain parts via both these companies, and I'm in Hawaii... fastest I see anything is 2 weeks. If you email them, they generally can go over the cart order and offer you appropriate shipping. It's probably just an error in their shipping calculator.

PPC is only about 90 miles from me. I've gone there a couple of times and it takes forever for someone to answer the bell. They keep everything locked up tight.

A funny thought just came to me from this thread where I say if you install a CPU backwards you're a moron. If you install the CPU upside down, you shouldn't even use a computer. :) This is coming from a person who's first home built computer he screwed the motherboard directly to the case without standoffs. I actually took it to a computer shop to look at. It was a Pentium 133 if that tells you how long ago it was. My very first computer was a 386 @ 25MHz with a 200MB hard drive and like 512KB of RAM....boy was that fast.

Last edited:
^ laught my ars off. Any way my first computer was a 386 25mhz also. Take almost 1hrs to install Microsoft Office Word/Excel 3.1 The package come with 25 diskets sets and 1.44MB each lol. My 5D Mark III DSLR shoot 30MB photo in Raw format. Think about how far we have come. You drop of those photo on to that computer, it would lock up freezed instantly I bet.

Last edited:
That's what I tell my father how far computers have come. It would take a 386 25Mhz a month to run Prime 32M. Now you can do it in 17 minutes or less.

I should have the first loop finished tonight. I have to go to Lowe's and pick up a new tube cutter. Mine in like five years old and is getting dull and hard to make straight cuts.

I did figure out how I managed to fry my other Rampage IV BE. MOST motherboards require nine standoffs. Three at the top, middle, and bottom. This motherboard only has eight. There is not one in the middle center, but I had put a standoff in before. I had metal touching the motherboard, which took out two RAM slots and the first PCIE slot would only run at 8X. I still sold it on eBay for like 150.00. This what happens when you "think" you know what you are doing and make a mistake. Usually, the only time I read the manual is for RAM placement, where all of the fan headers are, and where the Intel SATA III ports are.

I decided against dye. I have two red LED's, but I need about four more to complete the build. I want the plexi blocks to show red, but I'm not a huge fan of dyes. They break down over time and stain the blocks.

Last edited:
My younger brother who built his first or second PC blames me for it. He had issues with the rig starting up or even not turning on at times. He left me with it to fix it while he went out. I go in his room and hit the PSU switch a couple times after checking the PSU connectors, making sure everything is plugged in where they're suppose to be. Long story short, after the second hit of the switch, I heard a loud high ping sound (like the one from the BIOS) and a loud pop with a piece of plastic flying out of the case. It was a piece of the MB. Don't know what its called but it was part of the circuitry. He never installed the MB standoffs. Till this day its still my fault, :rofl: as if I was suppose to know.

I did that on my very first build with a Pentium 133. The computer wouldn't even start. You should have seen the look I got from the guy at the computer shop I took it to.

I...the great Daddyjaxx...that has been water cooling for almost 10 years, had a leak during filling up my first loop and to boot, God punished me having it come from a hard to reach place, the outlet from the rad. I NEVER have leaks. I already had the loop filled quite full, I thought, so I found a plastic container that would fit in the 5 1/4" bay to catch the water from removing the tubing.

I go through that and like three drops of water came out. I'll tell you what, those Monsoon barbs don't want to let go of the tube. My first thought was I didn't put an O ring on the barb, but I was EXTRA careful on that. I take the barb out and there was an O ring. I just reinstalled it and made sure I couldn't tighten it anymore and no more leak.

What does concern me, if you look at the close up picture of the pumps is that the right side, as in the picture so really the left side of the pumps, are hitting like 110 F. My plan was to use the same type of res and pumps above it which means those pumps would get no airflow. I'm staring to reconsider that. Am I being paranoid or prudent?

I actually have the heatsink and fan I could put on it. I can't even skip a spot and put the next res in it. I have no room with the rad and fittings. Thee top two slots are dead. I 'd like to find a 5 1/4" item that has USB ports and sound that doesn't require the entire length of the slot. You know, for 400+ for a case, it should have front panel ports. I should have went with Case Labs. I'd also like to put my ROG control in one of the slots.

My first plan was to go from res--> rad--> RAM--> CPU--> RAM--> res, but the CPU to RAM was kinking to much for my liking.

What's really funny is that I am used to maybe a little water over flowing the res when you shut off the pump with the cap uninstalled. This res is like Old Faithful. You do it and it's not a little over flow, it water shooting four inches in the air. :)

052.JPG

053.JPG

054.JPG

056.JPG

Last edited:
I'm going with an XSPC Photon res with an MCP35x pump and an additional MCP35X pump for the second loop. That way I can keep the second loop away from the first while installing the heatsink and fan on the first loop's pumps.

The Rampage IV Black Edition is named appropriately....for Satan. Every time I stick one in the case, RAM slots don't work. I wanted to test my first loop, not my first loop ever, the number, boot it up and voila, 48xxx GB of RAM. That would be fine, but I have 64 GB installed. I look at the DIMM slots in the BIOS and D1 and D2 are abnormal. I'm like what the hell. D1 was working perfectly fine when it was sitting on the box on my desk.

I did break the clip on D1, so I thought the water block screw may have pulled it out. I take the block off and I keep inserting and reinserting and moving RAM around and then other slots didn't work. I'm thinking I've got bad RAM. I thought I 'd give it one more shot before going to bed when I noticed something shiny on one of the stick's pins. It was a piece of m
etal from somewhere. I blew it off, stuck the RAM back in and poof. :clap: When I put the block back on, I'm not going to use any screws on the slot I broke the tab on. I'll let the block keep it pushed down.

2014-07-24_0-21-38.jpg

I gave up on the Lil Devil case. They are just too flimsy. Not only did RAM slots not work, but there was absolutely no contact with the VRM's on the monoblock with the the thermal tape that I saw after taking the block off. It's not like installing it takes a rocket scientist. You line up the holes and screw in screws. I think the case is so flimsy the motherboard was warping.

After taking out everything and placing it back on air, I was getting thousands of errors in Memtest and Windows would BSOD starting with 64 GB of RAM installed. I got some canned air and blew out all of the RAM slots and put all 64GB back in and no BSOD in Windows and it ran throgh 14 hours of Prime 95 blend with no issues.

I bought a 900D, but it doesn't have quite the water cooling capacity I would like, so I'm returning it for this. This is the good thing about not being in debt and having multiple accounts you get to choose from. I chose my Bill Me Later account with Paypal. They don't report to any credit reporting agency. That may be bad for people rebuilding their credit, but when you have established excellent credit. I'm looking to show that I always have a zero balance on everything when they report out. :)

I'm pretty sure this will hold everything that I could possibly want. This is all the choice parts that PPC chooses from Case Labs without the wait. The only thing I may have added from Case Labs is the 120mm top. This is actually cheaper than you can get on your own. I priced one out from Case Labs WITH the additional 120mm top, that was 60.00, and it was 810.00.

2014-07-29_17-37-00.jpg

Last edited:
Back