• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd Multiplier Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mentokk

Registered
I just noticed my motherboard was not decreasing the cpu multiplier today. It was working fine a few days ago. I have not changed any bios settings since then. Cpu-z and everest both report the multiplier at 20x at all times. Cpu is idle and there was no significant usage by any program.

I went into the bios and loaded defaults and it got more confusing. For me at least. Cpu-z now reports that the multiplier is at 24x at all times unless all 4 cores are loaded, then the multi goes to 21x. The multi never clocks down, but the voltage does. I have tripled checked the bios settings both overclocked and default and Speed Step and C-states are enabled. The multiplier on both is set to AUTO.

I have had several other mysterious problems with this motherboard before. ie settings changing themselves (maybe I'm crazy, idk). I know it is a cheap board but it had positive reviews everywhere I looked. Time for a better one?

Does anyone have any insight into these issues?

(Yes i know I misspelled weird in title can't edit it!)

Screen shot of cpu-z at idle. .848 vcore

Attachments

• cpuzcraziness.JPG
    cpuzcraziness.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 274
According to CPU-Z, right now Turbo Boost is on AUTO or ENABLED and is doing its job.
If you don't want Turbo Boost then you must set it to DISABLED in bios.

I meant that on default settings (stock clock) turbo is working properly according to the turbo boost gadget but not to cpuz. On the 3.6 oc it is disabled but the multi never down steps from 20x.

Could it be a software problem. I downloaded asrock oc tool a few days ago and used a registry cleaner to remove it today but still did not help. Maybe it has changed something?

If you disable C-state and speedstep you will not see this happening and your multi will stay where you set it at. What you are seeing is C-state and speedstep doing what it was designed to do, setting your multi and v-core according to the load you place your CPU under.

I want them enabled though. Otherwise the cpu runs full bore all the time when I dont need it to. I have a separate bios setting for benching with it disabled, but I run 3.6GHz for normal everyday usage and the speed step has been working up until this point. C-states however have never reduced the voltage, but the speed step has worked in the past. This is a screen of the cpu load at 0% and cpu-z showing speed step not reducing the multiplier. The speed step has worked before at these clocks.

You will not be able to predict how Speedstep, C-State and CPU thermal throttling changes the v-core and multi of your CPU, it looks like it is working well so I would not try to figure it out as there are pretty complex algorithms at work here to optimize power vs performance with the CPU.

I run with all power saving features enabled on my 920 and ran into a similar problem. The fix for me was to change the power options from desktop to laptop/portable (in XP). After that Cpu-Z would report the correct speed/multi.

Power.PNG

SSspeeds.png

MultiN.png

I run with all power saving features enabled on my 920 and ran into a similar problem. The fix for me was to change the power options from desktop to laptop/portable (in XP). After that Cpu-Z would report the correct speed/multi.

Oh man thanks alot haha. i went into my power options and OCTuner had set itself a power plan that disabled power savings, lol. I never thought to look there. I switched it back to normal and now everything works as it should.

Back