• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official ImageQuest/Hyundai L90D+ Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I only use my monitor head on and never look from anywhere else in the room so I really think the viewing angles are fine.

BUT............. The angles from what I've seen from the sides aren't that pretty. If you were to lay in bed and didn't turn you monitor head on towards you for example you would have a pretty misserable experience.

Last edited:
jddesigned said:
BUT............. The angles from what I've seen from the sides aren't that pretty. If you were to lay in bed and didn't turn you monitor head on towards you for example you would have a pretty misserable experience.

I do that often actually, and find the viewing angles to be fair, not as nice as looking at the monitor from the very center, but definitely not miserable IMHO.

I must agree with MonroeM I was a little harsh on the viewing angles. The main thing I notice is the farther to the sides you go the more whites tend to become yellowish almost. This gives the image a much blander look and takes aways from the overall sharpness, things tend to become very washer out. Truly it's not as pretty but it is viewable. The viewing angles are deffinately not a reason to balk at getting this monitor. It's still a nice display.

Well, my L90D+ arrived this morning, and I have been tinkering with it most of the day. First things first, it's a very aesthetically pleasing thing, and I love the extra space I now have available on my desk. But obviously, I was a little more concerned about something else before I got too attached to my new toy - dead pixels. Plugged everything in and switched on, noticed how crisp Windows was when it finally booted in, and proceeded to have a play with the contrast and brightness settings (going for 70b 75c, seems no more annoying than my CRT as some have suggested on this topic).

All set in that department, I loaded up DPB, and the good news is, no dead pixels whatsoever on any background to report, great stuff. However, as many people seem to have been experiencing with this particular display, the 'dark at the top, light at the bottom' syndrome seems to be present on my monitor - are we sure this isn't standard? Here is a picture of my monitor displaying orange (from my Motorola V620 so apologies for the slight lack of quality):

backlight.jpg

(to re-iterate, that's an orange)

As you can see, although the issue doesn't appear to be as bad as say vdubpsu's display, there is a definite change in colour. But am I going to send it back? No I'm not. This problem I feel is really picking at straws when taking into consideration how great this monitor is, and you'll only notice it if you're REALLY looking for it. I'm already used to the fact that my monitor is this way, and even a little tilt of the display can help to even things out. Perhaps if I was a graphics designer I'd be a little more concerned, but I'm not, I'm a gamer.

I'm extremely pleased at the image quality of this monitor in Digital mode, picture quality is crisp and the definition is high, although in Analogue you are sure to notice that the image quality takes a hit, particularly in 75hz mode. Which brings me swiftly onto my next point - refresh rates.

All morning I have been trying to get my games to run at 75hz in Analogue mode, but I'm having quite a bit of difficulty. When I game, I use a different resolution to that of my desktop, so in CS:S I currently use 800x600 (if you play CS or similar, you'll understand why keeping the res you're used to is important) and in World of Warcraft I'm using 1024x768, due to the hardware lag that a lot of people experience with the game. I have a Radeon 9800XT in my machine, using the latest Omega drivers, and no matter what I've tried - even using 800x600 as my desktop resolution which DOES register at 75hz until I get into a game of CS - I can't crack this particular problem. My profiles appear to be setup alright in the ATi control panel (max refresh rate 75hz, tried override options such as 75hz and 'same as desktop'), and I've even tried using an old 3rd party overrider I used a little while ago, which still doesn't work. If anybody can assist me with getting this sorted then I'd be more than grateful.

Despite my refresh rate problems, CS:S has been 'playable' at 60hz, with vsync on or off. I didn't notice any tearing on either setting. There does appear to be a small degree of ghosting, but whether this is because I can't currently bump up to 75hz or I'm just not used to using LCD yet is another matter. This isn't really affecting my play though, so it's not the end of the world.

Viewing angles are fine for me as I'm always parked in front of my PC, and although they are tight, it's not like you have to keep your head static for fear of picture distortion or anything. And yeah, the buttons are a little annoying, especially if you want to be changing between digital and analogue like I will be. It would be better if they simply had a button that did this, or some kind of keyboard shortcut if possible, rather than having to navigate through the menu every time.

At the end of the day, yes I do like this monitor, although I'll like it even more if I can get my refresh rate problems sorted. And although it does appear excellent for gaming, I'm not sure if we have a CRT beater on our hands... just yet. But rest assured, you will be pleased by the quality that this monitor displays (no pun intended).

Last edited:
yea your backlights looks much better than mine, i think its a common part of LCD's, but mine is just too bad. As for resolutions in games, i wonder if it is possible to run lets say 1024x786, and not have it full screen, just the center of the screen. I dont know if this is possible or not, but than your graphics card wouldnt choke to death and ur monitor wouldnt look like crap, since it wouldnt be interpolating(stretching) the picture.

Yeah I've just tried out your theory about using Windowed mode, and I was getting FPS over 100. Switching back to full-screen caused it to revert. I don't really want to be playing in windowed mode all the time though, it slightly distorts the gfx and you have that damn blue bar along the top all the time.

Here's some pics of my refresh on desktop and ingame (fullscreen):

75hz.jpg

60hz.jpg
(again, apologies for phone quality on this one, it says '59.9').

[Edit: The problem is getting more confusing, just tried the Rage3D tweaker, setup the relevant refresh rates for each resolution, rebooted and about 3 of them had just disappeared when I got back. In WoW I couldn't select 1024x768, only 800x600, 1280x1024 and a couple of others. CS:S doesn't work at all with any overriding program and gives an error about not being able to initialise the selected gfx mode. I'm tempted to give Windows one big re-install! Does anybody have any ideas before I do this?]

Last edited:
Sureshot said:
Yeah I've just tried out your theory about using Windowed mode, and I was getting FPS over 100. Switching back to full-screen caused it to revert. I don't really want to be playing in windowed mode all the time though, it slightly distorts the gfx and you have that damn blue bar along the top all the time.

Here's some pics of my refresh on desktop and ingame (fullscreen):

75hz.jpg

60hz.jpg
(again, apologies for phone quality on this one, it says '59.9').

[Edit: The problem is getting more confusing, just tried the Rage3D tweaker, setup the relevant refresh rates for each resolution, rebooted and about 3 of them had just disappeared when I got back. In WoW I couldn't select 1024x768, only 800x600, 1280x1024 and a couple of others. CS:S doesn't work at all with any overriding program and gives an error about not being able to initialise the selected gfx mode. I'm tempted to give Windows one big re-install! Does anybody have any ideas before I do this?]

how did you make ur games windowed?

In both CS:S and WoW there's the option to run in windowed mode. Or alternatively, some games support good old alt+enter.

jddesigned said:
Well after 5 days with this monitor and a full weekend of gaming and web design I thought I'd post my thoughts for you guys.

Out of the box it's a beautiful monitor and looks reeeeeeeeeel snazzy on the desk with my silver tower and keyboard. But who cares right lets get to what really matters.

I've already made a minor post the day after I got it so I'll sum those points up first. Ohh and NO dead pixels still.

Ghosting = none. Fantastic for first person shooters with incredible colors and fast speed. I tested this with digital 60hz and anolog 75hz and see no difference. In my opinion both perform the same.

Backlight leakage. Annoying at first but with brightness and contrast adjustments it's becoming less and less apparent each day. Doesn't bother me much anymore.

Now after a weekend of graphic design I have to say this isn't the best monitor for this by far and I realized I knew this going in but was hoping for better results. Color banding with gradients is quite dissapointing and this is obviously the result of 16.2 million colors as opposed to 16.7 million. So for all you designers out there who like to game also, if graphics is your primary function look towards a monitor with more colors and sacrifice a little ghosting if it may happen. As a result of this I've e-mailed Hyundai wondering where my missing .5 million colors are to correct this banding. we'll see what they have to say since they tout it as 16.7 on their site.

All in all I am pleased with what i got, but I do warn the masses that the pros are equal to the cons depending on what your use is for. If this moitor was only for gaming and surfing the web for me I'd say it's the greatest thing ever made, but for my use I can't.

How bad was the banding, and was it just because your monitor may be bad or is it just the way it is built?

I'm considering buying this. I do more web design/graphic design/programming than gaming, but I do game some. Is it worth it to get this? :eh?:

Last edited:
Twist said:
How bad was the banding, and was it just because your monitor may be bad or is it just the way it is built?

I'm considering buying this. I do more web design/graphic design/programming then gaming, but I do game some. Is it worth it to get this? :eh?:

Hey Twist. If graphics and web are your primary then look elsewhere. This monitor will dissapoint you for this purpose. I am 60/40 these days leaning towards gaming so itmay not bother me as much. But all in all I wish I had a different monitor for the sake of design.

Just for the sake of asking, is there any LCD in a similar price range that would be better, in your opinion?

And for the record, I'm currently using a somewhat older 15" CRT :X

Edit: And are you positive it isn't just your monitor? According to TomsHardware the color fidelity is supposed to be almost dead-on with CRTs (http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050215/images/delta_l90dplus.png). From that, I thought it would've been good for graphics design...

Last edited:
Has anyone here actually had UPS pickup their monitor? Hyundai said they were sending me something (shipping labels?) but haven't received anything... and I'm STILL waiting to have this thing picked up. I'm going to charge them a storage fee (no kidding). I'm 101% fed-up now. The next contact with the company is going to be my annual 'justified venting' hour. These folks have earned not just my loss of future business, but the business of anyone I come into contact with.

Hyundai sux.

Last edited:
Pinky said:
Has anyone here actually had UPS pickup their monitor? I'm STILL waiting to have this thing picked up. I'm going to charge them a storage fee (no kidding). I'm 101% fed-up now. The next contact with the company is going to be my annual 'justified venting' hour. These folks have earned not just my loss of future business, but the business of anyone I come into contact with.

Hyundai sux.

Their cars are decent. My dad has a Hyundai Santa Fe and its really nice. My mom has a Hyundai Elantra which is also really nice (she got it for $9,000, normally its around 11k). They have an exceptional warrenty as well. However, I'm sorry to hear your bad experience with their electronics division, though. Its too bad really considering how many people are happy with it.

My last 3 cars:

Elentra GLS 2002
Sonata GLS 2004
Santa Fe GLS 4WD 2004 (current)

Needless to say Hyundai is losing A LOT of business because they can't get a simple monitor replacement right.

I'd sell the Santa Fe tomorrow if I could get the full value of the outstanding loan. I'm THAT ****ed.

It's because consumers tolerate such bull**** that these companies try to pull this. I'm writing their better business bureau and attorney general once all this is done. If they don't comply or ignore me I'll simply file a local small claims suit and have them dish out money to pay for an attorney in Albany to settle things. I have a lot of time on my hands right now, this is my second consumer rights battle in the past month. The last one sent the local company reeling with their tail between their legs ;).

Plus I doubt UPS being slow has anything to do w/ Hyundai's performance as a company. Sorry to hear about your bad luck Pinky, I'd definitely charge them though.

MonroeM said:
Plus I doubt UPS being slow has anything to do w/ Hyundai's performance as a company. Sorry to hear about your bad luck Pinky, I'd definitely charge them though.

You misunderstand, I haven't received anything from UPS or Hyundai, last I was told is that Hyundai needed to ship me something (shipping labels?). That was over a week ago. The fact no one's done follow up (if they were actually expecting something from me) indicates a company who just doesn't care or works at a pace that disregards their customer's convenience. So it's been numerous weeks, the monitor is STILL here so at minimum I'm 2 weeks away from a replacement. So this will be a month+ with a useless boxed monitor I paid way too much for sitting in my living room.

Last edited:
jddesigned said:
Hey Twist. If graphics and web are your primary then look elsewhere. This monitor will dissapoint you for this purpose. I am 60/40 these days leaning towards gaming so itmay not bother me as much. But all in all I wish I had a different monitor for the sake of design.

i definetly notice banding hear and there depending on the image, but i'd rather a monitor i can play games and not worry about ghosting... and i am neither a graphic artist or a gamer.

I notice no ghosting, banding, or crappy colors on this monitor whatsoever. I do lots of Photoshop and web design and game once in a while and this monitor hasn't let me down yet.

EDIT: I honestly don't see any more banding than what I saw on my 19" Sony Diamondtron NF. That's odd that you can see banding, because gradients look beautiful on my end and I work w/ PS almost every day.

MonroeM question for ya. All you've done with this monitor is take it out of the box and put it's drivers in? Nothing else I assume? Cause now you've got me talking to Hyundai and TigerDirect wondering where my quality monitor is. With the specs on this thing I would hope to get the same results you are and that's just not the case here. I've tried 3 different drivers for my vid card this week as well. I think this monitor is a must for gaming cause it's absolutely incredible, but I wanna know where my Photoshop quality monitor is......

Back