• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M4A89GTD Pro Impressions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caviman2201

So I got my new ASUS M4A89GTD Pro yesterday and got everything plugged in and hooked up. It unlocked the other 2 cores in my 555 BE without any problem and so far they're P95 stable @ 3.2GHz for 20 mins. One thing I noticed though was that I increased vCore to just 1.38 and the heatsink on the MOSFETs got quite toasty...

Is this fairly normal? I guess it just means its doing its job, but it seems pretty hot considering I haven't upped the volts THAT much...

Other than that, I'm quite happy it was able to turn my $90 555BE into a $140 955BE with almost no effort... :burn:

Yeah. It's a great board and has a lot of features for a GX. OCs pretty easy too. The only complaint I have is the mem slots being so close to CPU socket. It really limits mem heat spreader/CPU cooler combos. I use HyperX ram with the tall sinks and could not find a decent CPU cooler that would fit.

Also, after 20 mins of Prime95, my "B55" hit 59C @ 1.38v... tonight I'm going to try dropping voltage little by little until it becomes unstable to try to reduce the heat, but I think as long as I keep it under 60C, that should be ok, right?

I'm completely new to Deneb, so bear with me... I knew my Brisbane inside and out, but I'm in new territory for me...

Also, after 20 mins of Prime95, my "B55" hit 59C @ 1.38v... tonight I'm going to try dropping voltage little by little until it becomes unstable to try to reduce the heat, but I think as long as I keep it under 60C, that should be ok, right?

I'm completely new to Deneb, so bear with me... I knew my Brisbane inside and out, but I'm in new territory for me...

I'm not really sure about the 555BE. I know the 955BE C3 acts a little funny when it gets around 55c. I did hit 4ghz @ 1.47v with mine last night, prime stable for a half an hour, before it hit 55c and made me a little nervous. It'll run 3.9 all day long, but that magical 4 is shaky.

These Asus boards are really nice, I have the 890FX version and love it so far. My 955BE doesn't act strange after hitting 55C but I've only let it get that high once. I do plan on reseating my heatsink with some AS5 though. I'm using MX-2 and it seems like the temps should be better... My OC so far has been 225x16 at 1.320vcore. I haven't played around with it past that as I'm trying to get my Steam games installed on my slow *** internet connection.

One thing I noticed though was that I increased vCore to just 1.38 and the heatsink on the MOSFETs got quite toasty...

Is this fairly normal? I guess it just means its doing its job, but it seems pretty hot considering I haven't upped the volts THAT much...
How's your case airflow - really good or just average ...?

When I last touched it, it was when the board was sitting on my desk outside the case with a ceiling fan on in the room, so I'd say the airflow was not great, but decent... honestly, as warm as it was getting, I can't imagine much more airflow from fans could help a whole lot... maybe I'm just not used to a heatsink doing its job... I think the heatsink on my last board just didn't have a very good connection to the MOSFETs so it wasn't getting hot, but the MOSFETs probably were...lol...

This board doesn't have a temp sensor for the MOSFETs, does it? Or any kind of thermal shutdown in place for them?

With the NB and MOSFETs connected by a heatpipe I guess you can't know which is heating things up. You'd think the NB temp would be kinda' close to the MOSFET temp with that heatpipe, though.

It's amazing how much of a difference just a little direct airflow can make to those components. Since I have several computers I run caseless 24/7 I have a little experience with that. The S-Flex 'E' (49 CFM) I added to my M3A32/940BE system using a TRUE Black CPU sink brought NB temps down almost 10°C ...

Back