• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard fried, can I save my HDD/SSD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kbman99

Hey guys! Recently my motherboard got fried from some unknown thing and I was wondering if there was any way to save my RAID. I don't really think that my SSD could be messed up, but just the HDD. I have two WD 1TB drives set up in a striped array. Is there a way that I can salvage the data of those drives or am I forced to wipe them? My OS is on my SSD so yeah. Let me know!
Thanks

Is your new board going to have the same controller? If so, it should fire right up. Outside of that, I do not know...

Hey guys! Recently my motherboard got fried from some unknown thing and I was wondering if there was any way to save my RAID. I don't really think that my SSD could be messed up, but just the HDD. I have two WD 1TB drives set up in a striped array. Is there a way that I can salvage the data of those drives or am I forced to wipe them? My OS is on my SSD so yeah. Let me know!
Thanks

Get a new board with the same chipset, or if it was built using an Intel chipset, you can likely just stick thew drives into another Intel mobo like I did and all should be kosher. :)

Going from the mobo in my signature to a ASRock Extreme6 Z97

Going from the mobo in my signature to a ASRock Extreme6 Z97

I think you'll be good.

Just plug the drive in the correct slot order to be extra safe.
IE HDD1 was plugged into SATA port 1, plug it into port 1 on the new board.

I went from a low low low-en H81 Chipset to the mobo in sig, the Z77-HD4. No issues.

Okay cool, I made sure I marked what went where when I removed everything from the board a week ago so I guess it worked out :) Will see in a week though. Thanks!

Well, I'm quickly becoming an expert on dead motherboard s..... The only problem I've had is the drivers and stuff may not work with windows anymore and a clean install may be necessary. The data should be just fine though.

Those are completely different chipsets and raid controllers, no? It's one thing to move from chipset to chipset without raid... But he has raid.

Different chipsets but RAID controllers and drivers are about the same. It's still not guaranteed it will work. I think it would be easier if board was on Z77 chipset. Z97 sometimes needs newer or additional drivers to boot system.
In worst case if you won't make it boot then enable RAID and install system on some other drive, then install RAID drivers and check if system sees RAID. If you won't make system work then at least you save data.

If you simply move on a Intel chipset Raid0 setup, it may or may not work. Its not 100% guaranteed, and can still result in data loss. If you do get it running, I strongly suggest you backup the data on the RAID, break it, redo it, then restore your data. I had a RAID fail after a mobo swap some 3-4 reboots afterward. Since I was swapping mobos, I took the precaution to backup everything anyway, so it was no big deal.

Back