• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo for 955 black edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigben6

Have Proc, deciding on Mobo, first build I have put thought and planning into...

What important, 2 boards i am interested it thus far are as follows:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138193
Got a recommendation on here for this one

Also saw someone recommend this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131398&Tpk=M4A785TD-V EVO

What I can SEE is that they have the same socket, the Asus is cheaper but looks like it has the same memory standard and capacity but it appears it can OC memory a touch higher than the biostar,

The biostar seems ot have an edge in PCI slots as it has 4 express 2.0 and 2 stright up PCI and the asus only has 2 express 2.0 plus a express 16X and then 3 stright PCI slots, if im only using 1 video car that wont bother me though will it?

So what am I missing, do i save 50 bucks, or is it worth spending, help!

Both are fine boards. It looks as though the Asus might not do true 2 16x crossfire though, not a concern if your a single card kinda guy.

The TA890FXE is a fantastic motherboard, it also has a slightly better chipset for overclocking in my opinion. It has a couple of flaws, only 5 SATA ports, and it doesn't love really high baseclocks...which shouldn't be an issue with a Black Edition CPU.

At the end of the day I think either would be fine.

SATA ports are for HD access correct? I will not need 5 HD's ever.... is there another use I should consider for them?

Caviman2201
Thats compelling as it sit right between the other two boards...

SATA ports are for HD access correct? I will not need 5 HD's ever.... is there another use I should consider for them?

Caviman2201
Thats compelling as it sit right between the other two boards...

HDs and new DVD drives use SATA. Most people don't need 5, just letting you know.

The board Caviman listed is also very nice, I would choose it over the first Asus you listed personally. Again, you probably can't go wrong with any of them.

xoke, you're supposed to give me black and white answers, I am already indecisive enough as is... ;)

Any glaring +/- between the biostar and the second asus? Besides color scheme... haha

xoke, you're supposed to give me black and white answers, I am already indecisive enough as is... ;)

Any glaring +/- between the biostar and the second asus? Besides color scheme... haha

Only real differences...Asus one has some built in graphics, the Biostar doesn't. The Biostar has AMDs flagship chipset, the Asus has one tier down. The Biostar could in theory overclock better because of this...but on standard air or water they will both probably act about the same.

I make no qualms, I'm a Biostar fan, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Asus board. Sorry bud...this decision is all yours. Go for looks or price. :shrug:

I like the Biostar and it is a great board to OC with, find Xokemans post on it there is a lot of information in there and pics about the bios and setting stuff up.

I have two of the boards both running 955BE's one I left running at 3.4ghz the other I have taken up to 4.0ghz and still could go higher.

Back