• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Beginners: How to set your 25/6/700K to 4.5Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok so im scared to death to screw something up (first overclock ever :x)

ok so my overcock tuner. would that be HERE in my bios?

as for the ram and voltage i think i can find those. but i may be back xD

I have no idea where the LLC is. lol halp :(

Hey man, I was scared until last night I said hell with it the worst thing that can happen is my setting needing to be reset back to defualt. Now I'm running a cool 4.7ghz. All I need to do now is fine tweak settings with help from these great gents.

Last edited:
I have browsed the BIOS I'm pretty sure I'm where I need to be for the clock speeds. I just took a picture just to verify.

Hey man, I was scared until last night I said hell with it the worst thing that can happen is my setting needing to be reset back to defualt. Now I'm running a cool 4.7ghz. All I need to do now is fine tweak settings with help from these great gents.

Congratulations. :thup:. Just keep the voltage below the low 1.4's if you can. Many make 4.7 at 1.35-1.38 which are quite reasonable voltage. Glad we helped.

Congratulations. :thup:. Just keep the voltage below the low 1.4's if you can. Many make 4.7 at 1.35-1.38 which are quite reasonable voltage. Glad we helped.

Currently at 1.35 but I guess offset is setting it to 1.37 can you check my thread for me to make sure everything was done right?

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700427

Anything I can tweak or enable or disable that I missed? Also how should I go down in voltage? in what increments? Any how to do I get my ram back up to 1600 its 1333 now it was 1600 when xmp was enabled.

I may have zoned in on my perma settings here, gonna let her stress for a good while. Had alittle fun while I was at it with Vantage. :D

4.8ghz Offset of +.045 cumulative of 1.39vcore
LLC - Ultra High
VRM - Extreme
DRAM - 1600mhz atm, gonna tweak around once she's solid
C1E, C3, C6 - Disabled
Speedstep - Disabled
Turbo Mode - Disabled

2700k4.8ghz.jpg

2700k4.8ghzw79703dmvantage.jpg

I may have zoned in on my perma settings here, gonna let her stress for a good while. Had alittle fun while I was at it with Vantage. :D

4.8ghz Offset of +.045 cumulative of 1.39vcore
LLC - Ultra High
VRM - Extreme
DRAM - 1600mhz atm, gonna tweak around once she's solid
C1E, C3, C6 - Disabled
Speedstep - Disabled
Turbo Mode - Disabled

2700k4.8ghz.jpg

2700k4.8ghzw79703dmvantage.jpg
Ohhh nice man, would you mind chiming in on my 'i5 2500k 4.7" thread? I could use some help.

I'm a noob, I only play games and have never attempted OCs of any sort.I'm awaiting my i5-2500k + asus p8p67 pro motherboard to arrive from newegg.I'm pretty excited and want to learn as much as I can about modest/medium OC before my parts arrive =D

So basically, in this tutorial you left turbo boost on? If so, I wasn't aware or have never heard you could adjust the 'turbo boost' past 3.7 . I've only had people tell me to turn turbo boost off and do a full static OC. I assume leaving turbo boost on and adjusting the maximum boost ceiling (4.2~4.5ghz) is more effecient?

Also, roughly... what would be a good stable OC while using the stock i5-2500k heatsink/cooler?Is 4.5ghz generally to high for the stock cooler?Or would it depend on what my minimum cpu voltage is while at 4.5ghz?I realize that +voltage = more heat = unstable.

If possible I would like to retain and use my OEM cooler for a modest OC.Doesn't have to be 4.5 i'd be good with a little more than the turbo boost has to offer =D

regards,
david

Last edited:
just got my new i7 2700k together and set it right to 45x as the guide said and then started dropping the voltage till it wouldnt prime no more and this is what i ended up with.
havent touched any other settings, everything is on auto. only thing i've done was set the multiplier to 45 and cpu voltage to 1.27 in bios. seems to dip down under load as cpuz shows.
The board has a lot of settings im unsure about so i'll have to do some reading or perhaps someone with a similar board can guide me to a monster overclock ;)

ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157263

Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme Universal CPU Cooler 120mm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154011

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145347

Last edited:
55 multi at 1.52 is very good but I just want to stress to people that you should only 'check and see' if your CPU can do this kind of thing, and I wouldn't even do that. The extra voltage is not a good friend of your CPU.

I'm a noob, I only play games and have never attempted OCs of any sort.I'm awaiting my i5-2500k + asus p8p67 pro motherboard to arrive from newegg.I'm pretty excited and want to learn as much as I can about modest/medium OC before my parts arrive =D

So basically, in this tutorial you left turbo boost on? If so, I wasn't aware or have never heard you could adjust the 'turbo boost' past 3.7 . I've only had people tell me to turn turbo boost off and do a full static OC.
regards,
david

Although on most boards you do have the option, typically we overclock Sandybridge by overclocking the turbo. In practice the difference to the user is nothing, as any time the user demands more than a mouse breath of power from the CPU it will leap to 4.5Ghz (or whatever you have turbo set at).

I believe what you're referring to is the max actual CPU setting which some motherboards seem to claim you can't exceed. There are little workarounds for that if you want a permanent 'non shifting' OC but again going into them is pointless because the design of this platform makes turbo OC so easy. All you really do is > Mhz, > Voltage, > Supporting voltages, bake, serve.

Hi, first just wanted to say thanks for writing this tutorial up. Whilst I'm not new to OCing, I'm far from an expert and am new to SB chips, so found this very helpful.

I haven't followed the advice in the first post exactly (I've left virtualization, speedstepp, c states etc enabled), but I have a problem that I'm not too sure about and would appreciate some advice.

I achieved a 4.5 OC no problems at 100*45, and then set about trying to lower the vcore. After a few trials and crashes, I got the vcore to a level working fine in IBT, but was seeing crashes in P95. Last night I upped the vcore to 1.320 and ran IBT over night and it passed 10 tests on maximum, reaching max temps of 74c, which I was more than happy with. However, again when I then ran blend, it failed fairly quickly.

As far as I understand it, IBT generally stresses the CPU more, whilst the Blend tests puts more strain on the memory. The thing is, I'm getting an 0x124 error on the BSOD which I believe is a vcore issue.

Hardware:
*Asus P8Z68 V-Pro Gen 3
*i5 2500k
*Corsair CML16GX3M4A1600C9B LP Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz
*Zalman CNPS9500

My cooler is a bit old and is far from the best available, but I am some what limited with what will fit into my case so thought I'd stick with it and hope for the best. Thankfully temps haven't really been my issue so far, it is just one of stability (specifically in blend test).

Whilst I have some headroom with the temps and vcore and bumping the vcore up some more will more than likely solve the problem, I'm just a bit confused since a few times now at a few vcore settings, it seems to be managing in IBT but not P95, yet I thought IBT would be the more stressful on the CPU. Has anyone any suggestions on this?

Cheers,
Simon

IBT can sometimes create more heat, but they use a different form of stressing (different calculations/etc). I would try increasing your vcore another notch (up to 1.34 for example) and see if it is stable in p95.

Ultimately, though, is that the computer is stable for what you do with it, and not necessarily prime95 stable. If you can play games (assuming that is what you do) or any workstation things that you may do, without any issues then that to me is stable.

I would make sure that you have enough voltage going to the RAM as well just incase, and you may want to check your VCCio and VCCsa. I believe IO is for memory controller, but someone else can confirm that (I always get the two confused)

IBT can sometimes create more heat,

It always creates more heat. P95 stays within your TDP, give or take a few watts (95-105). IBT will take you to 130 or more watts

**Thread is now sticky!** Make sure you wash your hands after handling.

Last edited:
Ultimately, though, is that the computer is stable for what you do with it, and not necessarily prime95 stable. If you can play games (assuming that is what you do) or any workstation things that you may do, without any issues then that to me is stable.

I have (for now) taken this approach.

The stability has persisted in IBT, and instability persisted in P95. I've decided to stop chasing P95 stability for now and just got on with actually using it for what it is intended for. If it remains stable in every day use, I will progressively lower the vcore and see where the limits lie that way.

I completely understand the use in stress testing the machine, but like you allude to, I'm not building this machine to stress test! Gaming, photo editing and all the other things I will do will all put their own different stresses on the system, and ultimately it is stability under those circumstances I need.

Thanks again to thread starter and for all the useful comments from everyone else. I might not have got blend stability, but (fingers crossed) I do seem to have an in all other areas stable 4.5 OC with good temps. That will do me :)

Simon

First, I just wanted to give a big THANK YOU :thup: to TheOCNoob. I really really appreciate this guide and all the time you put into this thread.

First Overclock ever.

i7 2600K, 4.5 @ 1.350v ; Running 24/7

I got adventurous and started to see how far I could push it
i7 2600K, 4.8 @ 1.415; Hitting 79C while running Prime (Ignore the SS temps, this was just a quick run of Prime to make it load to 4.8 and not 4.799 )

I couldn't get 4.9 or break the 5.0 barrier with any stability, I didn't want to take the volts up much higher.

For Reference:
4.5 @ 1.350v
4.7 @ 1.385v
4.8 @ 1.415v
4.9 @ 1.450v- closest I got to being stable running Prime , didn't want to go over 1.45v

Please help i have a i7 2600k and the asus maximus gene-z and i can't get the i7 stable...i'm running it at 4,6 ghz with 1,37 vcore. It was stable until i installed windows yesterday,i don't understand why it isn't stable anymore. i didn't change anythin in bios from the moment it was stable and now it's not stable anymore. what's wrong ???

who said that ?? i said that i installed a new one fresh yesterday...but i had another windows before tha one i installed yesterday and it was stable with that one

Back