• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASRock Z97 Extreme6 Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Today brings another offering boasting Intel?s new Z97 chipset. This new series of motherboards bring compatibility with future Broadwell CPUs, M.2 SSDs, and SATA Express, along with other smaller changes. ASRock has released multiple boards based on the Z97 chipset from their OC, Extreme, and Fatal1ty lines. This motherboard, as you can guess, is part of the Extreme series. Even though it isn?t part of the OC series, this board has plenty of overclocking features that tend to target the more average user.

... Return to article to continue reading.

what would be "great" memory to go with it in 8gb and 16 flavor?

I've been using G.SKILL Ares 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9, and it has played very nicely.

My preference for 2x4GB and 2x8GB would be to stick to 1866 or 2133MHz at CL9.

kind of a dumb question but on the extreme 6 if you go sli like 780ti would it be x16/x8?
or x8/x8?

thanks

kind of a dumb question but on the extreme 6 if you go sli like 780ti would it be x16/x8?
or x8/x8?

thanks

As EarthDog said, it'll go to X8/X8.
In my opinion it isn't worth paying the extra money for a board that'll do X16/X16 unless you're doing competitive benchmarking.

Awsome review Atmin! I'm glad I bought this board! :thup:

Thanks Neb! I'm glad it landed here, this is a review sample I'll be keeping a while :thup:

i did a lot of reading and it seems like x16/x16 and x16/x8 are similar but when you go x8/x8 you do take a hit on the high res(4k+). can someone plz trow in any asus or asrock that can go x/16 x/8? Obviously the WS can go x16 x 2 so can extreme9 but oddly enough all highest end, WS, extreme9 and MSI that can got x16 x 2 get a lot of owner complaints in the review column. i hear ya x/16 x 2 is not cheap but when you buy an 780ti extra 100 is not horror.

P.s. is there any specific tell to look for in the "specifics" to know if the board can go x16/x8?

THX

i did a lot of reading and it seems like x16/x16 and x16/x8 are similar but when you go x8/x8 you do take a hit on the high res(4k+). can someone plz trow in any asus or asrock that can go x/16 x/8? Obviously the WS can go x16 x 2 so can extreme9 but oddly enough all highest end, WS, extreme9 and MSI that can got x16 x 2 get a lot of owner complaints in the review column. i hear ya x/16 x 2 is not cheap but when you buy an 780ti extra 100 is not horror.

P.s. is there any specific tell to look for in the "specifics" to know if the board can go x16/x8?

THX

Look for a PLX chip on the motherboard, it has to be there for LGA 1150 to run over X8/X8.

Is there any model asrock or asus other than WS or Extreme9 that can do x16/x8 (or is there a different manufacturer that you prefer?)

Thx

It's impossible with out a board using a plx chip. That said.... At this site and at least three others where you asked.the same.questions and already received answers, there is negligible losses with an 8x/8x. In fact it's as fast as the plx solution as it causes delays.

Man... You gotta start listening to someone at some site sometime... This is getting a bit old.

Is there any model asrock or asus other than WS or Extreme9 that can do x16/x8 (or is there a different manufacturer that you prefer?)

Thx

Anything that's X16/X8 doesn't have a PLX chip, meaning it'll drop to X8/X8 when running two GPUs.

The Z97 Extreme9 runs X16/X16 because it has a PLX chip.

I have the extreme9 with sli, it's worth 1-3% don't freak about it unless your very into benching.

Back