• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what's the difference between +r and -r?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yes, although i don't know what specifically. i remember reading a website on it, that enumerated the +r is a lot better (features, stability, etc). if i find the website again, i'll post it.

Edit: not the exact site i was looking for, but it should help a little:
http://www.dvdrw.com/pdf/whyplus.pdf

Last edited:
Yeah, actually I just read an article about the techincal differences at cdfreaks.com. I still don't understand 100% but I understand enough to know what I'm talking about now, well sorta :)

I did a bit of research into this issue. Basically what I found was that most anything is readable on most anything. + reads in -, - reads in +, Most DVD video players DVD read them both.

In theory, DVD- should be a touch more backward compatible -- it should work with all but the oldest DVD players. It also has the dubious advantage of usinf DVD-RAM - dubious because DVD-RAM software isn't compatible with regular recording software. Still, DVD-RAM is the ultimate long term data solution.
I can find no real advantage to DVD+ except that HP backs it. Where HP goes, many will (be forced to) follow.

My advice is simple. If you have a DVD player make sure you get the kind that's compatible with it. Mine only plays - so I got -

The issue on software is a total screwball. In all likelihood the software included with your DVD burner won't actually be able to create a DVD movie. Storebought DVD movies use two layers, so they really hold 9.4GB on one side. To store a 2 hour movie on a DVD you have to use VCD (often called LP) which is again not always compatible in a home player (computers should have no problem) but the quality is lower (320x240?) or SVCD (SP mode -- even less home player compatibility but less compression). My player will play VCD (not SVCD) but can't navigate the menus, they have to play straight through.

To make a full quality 740x480 DVD (one hour) which you may want if you're transfering home movies from tape, you may need to upgrade the OEM software.

lol got all that (phew)

Last edited:
Back