• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Boys, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
Yeah you wish...

Just need a couple facts real quick so I can get out of this... place....

Right now all I hear of Intel is how fast their i series CPUs are, and how many cores they got, and all this stuff. But what about energy saving CPUs? Is Intel mainly focusing on how fast they can make the CPU right now? Or are they trying to attack another front, which is the reasonably priced, low power, but still can kick some butt CPUs?

Simple statements only needed, no hate, just wlove.

If you are referring only to the i series, I can't answer that.

If you are referring to ANY Intel processor, their Atom CPU is extremely low power.

Non-server, non-netbook CPUs bitte schon!

But what about energy saving CPUs? Is Intel mainly focusing on how fast they can make the CPU right now?

Non-server, non-netbook CPUs bitte schon!

Outside of the Server/Mobile realm, there is really no need to market "physical" energy saving specific CPU's. As this can easily be accomplished, in a desktop, with C1E, EIST, etc... or for the Fanboys in the room Cool'n'Quiet :p That way you can taste both worlds, top speed when you need it and very low consumption when you don't.

Outside of the Server/Mobile realm, there is really no need to market "physical" energy saving specific CPU's. As this can easily be accomplished, in a desktop, with C1E, EIST, etc... or for the Fanboys in the room Cool'n'Quiet :p That way you can taste both worlds, top speed when you need it and very low consumption when you don't.

Perfectly put!! :)

Energy savings is important to many people, yes on an enthusiast forum, maybe not so much.

Is interesting to see almost all reviews now come with idle/load power requirements for an entire system. Ignoring it because a CPU is not energy efficient, is very fanboy-ish as well.

Intel tried hard to hide the wattage necessary for just the CPU, by adding an IMC and powering it from the chipset. (At least that is my theory, the doubling of wattage necessary for X58 over X48 despite it being a "dumber" chip makes no sense otherwise).

I love my i7. But I only turn it on when I am going to use it :) Not for anything like posting on the internet lol

What about the future i3 series? Is this just i5 for mainstream builders, like $500-$700 Computer builds?

What about the future i3 series? Is this just i5 for mainstream builders, like $500-$700 Computer builds?

i3 will incorporate a 32nm CPU and a 45nm GPU onto the same die. I would think that overall system consumption would drop marginally. I'm thinking i3 will be marketed to the masses at very low cost.

So your saying i3 is Golftown?

Gulftown will be the 6 core 32nm labeled i9. Westmere is the 32nm die shrink of Nehalem. Clarksdale will be the i3 with integrated GPU. Arrandale will be the mobile version of the same package. Let me grab a good wiki hold on a minute.

Edit: Here you go

There's a bit about Westmere at the bottom, along with clarksdale and arrandale. Here's a quick quote.
The lowest-power variant of Arrandale may have a 10 W CPU TDP, and a maximum clock speed of 1.6 GHz. [8]

Last edited:
Dolk,
Atom is on desktop boards, though they are M-ITX. though you can get them in netbooks to, it isnt fair to count them out. Atom based desktops main problem right now, if talking about all intel atom's. is the 945GSE/GC uses more power then the cpu. it just so happens the 945GSE/GC has been around for along time. it is cheap/almost free for intel to make and include with Atom cpus. NV-ION chipset is a nice addition to atom. power usage is down i think it is about 10watts from a 945GSE/GC equipped atom desktop. yes you can get atom ion boards, newegg has Zotac ION boards and they are around $130ish. asus has some as well but Zotac is the only one that offers some with 90watt/12v power bricks. that would then reduce power usage more vs a traditional power supply. It puts it more on the same level as ION equipped Netbooks.

nzaneb,
while sometimes Fud seems to be close or right. i dont think they are right or close about the 32nm+45nm cpu. intel's atom+onboard video will be within that power envolpe or lower. either that or intel is going straight to SOC with the next gen atom. been a while since i read about the next atom generation but i do recall them heading to a SOC with atom.

I still think on power usage terms a ION setup will be lower then a core 2 setup. either that or your going to need to get into specialized HW. For a core 2 to really beat the ION setup.

I agree that 10w is a stretch, but even if they get it down to 15-20. It still fits the bill for low consumption and I think it's an acheivable goal.

Back