• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

990FXA UD3 w/FX-8320 or 970A UD3P w/8350??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
get the best psu you can get.
get a 6350 over the 8350, it will game as well, cost less and destroy fewer other parts.
at this point in time games only use 4 cores anyway, I have a 4790k, i game it with hyper threading off, 4 cores only. get the 6350 it will clock higher with the same cooling that an 8350 uses to clock lower and will game better.
get two sticks of ram, 1600 or 1866 it will not matter witch in gaming.

Another option i hadn't considered was this one which Memory Express has available:
GA-990FXA-UD5

The UD5 is more or less the same as a UD3 with upgrades to the power section, and better multi-GPU support. So if it's in your budget, I would say go with it.

Because the 970A-UD3P is MORE than capable of pushing the 8-core into the 4.5GHz range.

What happened to everything short of 990FX and even then only the best boards for even running an 8-core in the first place? Because just a few months ago that was the absolute consensus on this website. What happened to the 970 that made it suddenly capable?

get the best psu you can get.
get a 6350 over the 8350, it will game as well, cost less and destroy fewer other parts.
at this point in time games only use 4 cores anyway, I have a 4790k, i game it with hyper threading off, 4 cores only. get the 6350 it will clock higher with the same cooling that an 8350 uses to clock lower and will game better.
get two sticks of ram, 1600 or 1866 it will not matter witch in gaming.

I agree with that completely. If he is not buying the better boards known to handle 8 cores under full load day in and day out, then you can probably guess he is not going to have super cooling to handle 8 cores all the time in a pretty heavy overclock condition.
RGone...

What happened to everything short of 990FX and even then only the best boards for even running an 8-core in the first place? Because just a few months ago that was the absolute consensus on this website. What happened to the 970 that made it suddenly capable?

It's never been "990FX or bust" it's always been "proper VRM section or bust"

well then hows this for a gpu then??? the Radeon 5970?? I have a dealer nearby town that can get me one for just a little more than the Ti cost, he'll deliver one to me and it will make good use of that new psu with the two 6 pins???

Because the 970A-UD3P is MORE than capable of pushing the 8-core into the 4.5GHz range.

edit: I appreciate that one has 8+2 and seems to be reasonably stout, but would you trust it for day in day out overclocking?

well then hows this for a gpu then??? the Radeon 5970?? I have a dealer nearby town that can get me one for just a little more than the Ti cost, he'll deliver one to me and it will make good use of that new psu with the two 6 pins???

the 5970 is an absolute pig, and you MUST have a good psu for that one. In terms of power though, its SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful in every capacity over the 550ti.

It's never been "990FX or bust" it's always been "proper VRM section or bust"
Well then if you say the ud3p is good enough to get er to 4.5 then fine:thup:
I'll go with the 970a ud3p. Besides this way i can afford a decent power supply with two 6 pin connectors which i'll need for this 5970 i just scored.:clap::clap::clap:

One thing to note though - i had to change the case to: "Fractal Design Define R4 Enthusiast Case, Black Pearl" because that is one long card.
But this even with the 8320 will be the most powerful system i ever had. It'll certainly handle video encoding and Crysis which used to play a lot should be really interesting with 8 cores and this card.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 344
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 341
I still think you're better off getting a 6300. Going from an 8320 to a 6300 will cost you like 5 minutes of render time on a 1080p 30 minute video.

None of those programs are multi threaded for application use anyway, you DONT need the extra "grunt". IF anything, you need more ram. For final renderings, they take forever anyway, and doesnt matter if you have an i7 4970k or an 8320, its still gonna take you quite some time.

For "multi task" work, people stream on 6300's on the daily with no issues. While the extra grunt may help, youre probably not streaming at 1080p anyway. Your one stick of ram will hold you back more than the 8320 will help.

edit: I appreciate that one has 8+2 and seems to be reasonably stout, but would you trust it for day in day out overclocking?

Yes, I would absolutely trust it to 24/7 OCing.
I pushed the heck outta my FX-6300 on the predecessor to that board. I have zero doubt it'll hold a 4.5GHz 8-core (assuming proper CPU cooling and case airflow)

Well then if you say the ud3p is good enough to get er to 4.5 then fine:thup:
I'll go with the 970a ud3p. Besides this way i can afford a decent power supply with two 6 pin connectors which i'll need for this 5970 i just scored.:clap::clap::clap:

One thing to note though - i had to change the case to: "Fractal Design Define R4 Enthusiast Case, Black Pearl" because that is one long card.
But this even with the 8320 will be the most powerful system i ever had. It'll certainly handle video encoding and Crysis which used to play a lot should be really interesting with 8 cores and this card.

Nice decision :thup:
Run your PSU choice by us if it isn't on that recommended list, we can tell you if it's got a good/bad rep :)

Nice decision :thup:
Run your PSU choice by us if it isn't on that recommended list, we can tell you if it's got a good/bad rep :)

yes all the decisions i've made over the years with all the cpu's i've had were leading up to this. this is why i wanted the 8 core so much - because it was finally time

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP:thup:

Attachments

• 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 335
Just my 2cents here the Fractal Design Define R4 Enthusiast Case, Black Pearl. We have seen a few of these boxes in here and any so far have had terrible air flow which will not bode well with the 8 core CPU and Air cooling.

Take a look at something like this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021 I have the 1200 and it does move a lot of air. Just has issues fitting a 120x2 AIO into it.
Or this and save some coin http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139025

Last edited:
From what I can find that one looks decen. I would add a couple more fans right from the get go. You'll need them and it's easier to do when the box is empty.

Back