• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FreeNAS server extremely slow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Priv

As my title says, writing and reading files from my FreeNAS server is extremely slow.

Copy File Bench started...

Copy D:\Videos\Extremer_s_frag_movie.wmv to \\Freenas\backup_storage\Extremer_s_frag_movie.wmv
Size: 144104445
Time: 539562 ms
Transfer Rate: 0.255 MB/s

Copy File Bench ended

Read File Bench started...

Read file: \\Freenas\backup_storage\Extremer_s_frag_movie.wmv
Size: 144104445 bytes
Time: 305922 ms
Transfer Rate: 0.449 MB/s

Read File Bench ended

This is with a 54 Mbps wireless connection, which should be giving 6,75 MB/s write/read speeds. Copying a 80 GB file to my NAS server is taking me around 24 hours or so... :( Which should only take me around 4-5 hours (theoretically).

My Linux wifi is capped at 1MB/s even though it says I am connected at N speeds. I am sure it has something to do with crappy wifi drivers.

I would try wired lan to see if it copies at the appropriate speeds. If it doesn't then you might have IDE/SATA controller issues. If it does then you might have wifi driver issues.

Either way I have never gotten FreeNAS SMB working properly. NFS works perfectly but not SMB.

Well the NAS server is connected with wire, and I am connected wireless. I'm not sure if it is the sata controller, but maybe. I'll try NFS then.

Edit: Ok I tried with a computer that is connected by normal cable connection and that computer is copying a 222 mb file in less than 25 seconds. So I figure the wireless might be the culprit here.

Edit2: I can confirm that it is the wireless, I connected my pc the router with a wire, and voila, I can now write my 80 GB file within 3 hours... What a difference, time to buy a 20 meter cable + gigabit switch... :(

Last edited:
Well the NAS server is connected with wire, and I am connected wireless. I'm not sure if it is the sata controller, but maybe. I'll try NFS then.

Edit: Ok I tried with a computer that is connected by normal cable connection and that computer is copying a 222 mb file in less than 25 seconds. So I figure the wireless might be the culprit here.

Edit2: I can confirm that it is the wireless, I connected my pc the router with a wire, and voila, I can now write my 80 GB file within 3 hours... What a difference, time to buy a 20 meter cable + gigabit switch... :(

A wired connection will be much much faster and I think if you want multiple users to use this NAS then wired is definitely the way to go. A gigabit switch and cable shouldn't cost that much and definitely worth it.

Here is a graph that illustrates my speeds, as you can see it is not consistent and is constantly dropping from 2 MB/s to 0-0,5 MB/s. There is nothing that could disturb my wireless signal, so what else should I be looking at?

Oh and another thing, I have incremental backup selected in acronis true image and when I do my data backup again acronis true image just makes a full backup again. I have only added around 5 GB of files since last backup and at 31% of my backup the backup2 file was already 36 GB... Mind boggling...

Last edited:
Back