• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pic of Ownage Cooling Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well the main part of hot to cold would be the cpu and thats under a fan, but im pumping in cold to hot not hot into cold. wouldnt that mean that it wouldnt condense but expand? which would be evaporate? now im confused i think.

I've actually been thinking of trying this. I may want to adapt it to use my some AC air in the summer.

drewmister said:
your cup of joe was steaming right... steaming = condensation condensation of air being warmed up by the material (cup of joe) which in turn holds more water... then is cooled by other air... holds less water and condenses hence your steam... It is still condensation just another phase... please consider this before bashing my post...

warm always transfers to cold... it is a law of physics in this case hot heats colder air ... air holds more water ... other air cools warmer air ... colder air holds less water ... therefore water condenses

explains clouds... warm surface warmed by the radiation of the sun in turn heat the air right above it.... air holds more water ... warm air rises.. then as that air rises it gets cooled by the colder air.. then the air in turn holds less water and the water condenses into clouds...(radiation passes through air molecules not heating them explaining why it gets colder higher)

your cup of joe isnt condesning its causing condensation....

steaming because it had water in it.
heatsinks don't have water on them.
clouds are also water, just in gas form.
sure that was a bad example
lets look at some physics examples shall we..
when water gets hot, molecules accelerate, boiling point, turns to gas. when h20 (gas phase) is cooled, it deccelerates and becomes liquid.
when the humidity (h20 gas) already in the air gets heated, it will simply excite the molecules even more, big whoop, no decceleration of the molucles keeping it in gas form.

there would be both an acceleration and decelaration of the molecules of the system unless like i said it was perfectly aerodynamic

the cold air molecules would be at a low acceleration... when they come in contact with the warm surface the surface accelerates the molecules which in turn hold more of the water vapor in the air... Now your example ends here.. what i am saying is after this some of that hotter air will get trapped in air pockets and turbulence (non perfect airflow) It will then be cooled down again causing condensation....

I know this not only from thinking it through but a bad bad experience with ducting from outside... please consider what i am trying to say... there are 2 changes in temperature of the air not just 1 (unless perfect airflow is obtained....)

Maybe instead of putting a fan through your wall....just but a window air-conditioner and duct it up to the side of your case and have a whole bunch of exhaust? It would be pretty noisy, but it would run pretty darn cold.

Condinsation IMO would probably not be a problem in this issue.. as it's more likely to occur when WARM air hit's a Cold surface.. it condense's ...

you have to remember in this scenario.. COLD AIR is hitt'n a WARM surface.. and cold air naturally has a VERY LOW moister lvl...

digit?

:D

drewmister said:
the cold air molecules would be at a low acceleration... when they come in contact with the warm surface the surface accelerates the molecules which in turn hold more of the water vapor in the air...

it doesn't hold more water in the air.. it simple doesn't condensate, thats all..
Look. Turn on your shower with hot water, go to your garage where your waterheater is and look at the copper tubing. the tubing should get around 140F and a garage during winter should atleast 40F right? do you see any condensation?? I've never seen condensation on the pipes and my garage gets below 32F at night.

repilce said:
Condinsation IMO would probably not be a problem in this issue.. as it's more likely to occur when WARM air hit's a Cold surface.. it condense's ...

you have to remember in this scenario.. COLD AIR is hitt'n a WARM surface.. and cold air naturally has a VERY LOW moister lvl...

digit?

:D

"You often hear that condensation begins as the air cools because "cold air can hold less water than warm air." This isn't true. The air does not hold water in the way a sponge holds water - some teachers have been known to use this analogy. Air does not "hold" water the way liquid water holds salt. Scientists have known this since the 19th century, which means anyone book or teacher who tries to tell you that "warm air can hold more water vapor than cold air" is not only wrong, but is also way, way behind the times."

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/tg/wevapcon/wevapcon.htm

i get my physics book from my friends on monday, i'll explain everything in depth then..

grrr. i see your point.. but i'm trying to agree with you ;)

but simply enough.. warm air has humitidty.. cold air does too.. just TYPICALY alot less of it "%"...

and that sir i agree is why we will hardley ever see condensation occur from cold air hitting a warm surface.

EDIT: doh.. :eek: just hit me..

/looks around/
psst.. .. it's already condense ;)
/looks around/

o.. OO... OOOO.. :cough: :clears throat:
yes yes, where were we?! condensation?? no! wait!! cutting hole in the side of your house, bad idea!!! can't you just put it out side your window and mount it so it doesn't fall off?

i still like the duct ideah really.. i think this guy's gotta pretty good ideah.

EDIT: woot

?!off topic.
<------5 star member now baby.. oh yeh. ;)

korndog also doesnt have a box around the pipes on his water heater where the air is then trapped and cooled again... yuor computer would... unless of course you made it have no box and instead circulated in a path through your house... brr... or even better in a half circle in and out...

the reason there is no condensing on the pipes is obvious of course it is going to evaporate... but then that rising air... if trapped and cooled will condensate.. this is really simple...

put a decent sized box around that pipe where are can get cooled... throw a fan blowing on the box and emulate where air would get trapped in a computer... (like little cardboard videocard and soundcard and mobo and optical drives and an hd and the rest of the case features..cardboard so you dont have happen to you what happened to me :) )... just like in the computer where the cold air will be cooling trapped pockets of hot air... you WILL get condensation... In fact I have a friend in construction and they have to make sure that the air from the water heater (yes even the pipes is either ventilated or in a large enough area that it will slowly mix with the air around it.. otherwise the heated air will cause condensation on the roof and therefore cause water damage.

I mean if you dont trust me on this go for it... and if you have good enough airflow maybe no air will get trapped and it will work perfect... but if not hope you dont mind throwing a few hundred buxs out the window (hehe pardon the accidental pun window)... I know i did

I have a crawl space in my basement because the basement was put under after the house was built, so I have a srawl space all the way around that is cold and behind the basement wall...

I have built a wooden case (to hold the server case) in there and used filters to let in the cold air, and keep out the dust (also some very small mesh)

If I was you, I would get attach it to the AC Vent in the summer, and in the winter just stick it in your window. If I was you i would use like 4 120mm fans in your window, that blew the air down a pipe, then it entered your case (the air is nice and slowed down by then)

Then, you have to let the air out so I
BRBR

hey thanx for the link above interesting article and very useful information....

I don't know how to explain this anymore cause I have tried and with the above information from the link I am confused...

but I did do a vent experiment... I did it in the winter... It didnt snow it didnt rain and it was about 35 minutes after I set it up that I got condensation on my video card (and other parts but they survived) and it fried... I can only say I am lucky i didnt lose ne thing else...

I encourage whoever is brave enough to try it to go for it...

I dont wanna argue it anymore so I will leave it at that... Have fun and hope whatever happened to me doesnt happen to you..

Back