• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PC Powers off after 10-15 seconds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jsimacek

Registered
Hi guys. I just bought parts for a new computer from newegg. After I turned it on for the first time I enter bios and befor I have a chance to do anything it powers off. So I turn it back on and just wait. It starts to load gets to verifying DMI Pool Data waiting powers off. I rechecked everything over and over and just cant figure out whats wrong. Here is my build

Video - EVGA Geforce 6200

Motherboard - GigaByte GA-MA790X-UD4P

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+

RAM - 2x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066

Power Supply (part of case) - ENERMAX PANDORA 185

I also have a sata HDD hooked up and 2 PATA HDDs (One of the pata drives has xp from another computer I wanted to recover some data before fresh install.)

an extra network card mouse and keyboard.

edit: Would not having a cpu fan cause this? I havnt gotten that yet.
All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Most likely CPU is over heating, thus PC shuts off to save it self.

What kind of heat sink are you using?

Take it off and take a pic of the goop that you put on the base of heatsink and CPU.

The cpu has only been on for 10 seconds ever how can it be over heating?

In addition to the 24-pin ATX power connector, make sure the PSU is also connected to the 8-pin ATX_12V power connector, located on the top LH corner of the board near the PWM heatsink.

Thanks redduc I guess I didnt check the power supply good enough it doesnt have an 8 pin connector just a 4 and the connector is an 4pinx2. Is there a way to convert an extra molex or get an adapter?

UglyChild I understand your saying I might have installed it poorly but it should take more that 10 seconds to overheat shouldnt it?

Thanks for your help guys I really appreciate it

The 8-pin power connector (EPS12V) is intended to supply more +12VDC current to the CPUs VRM, since it has two additional 12V lines. Check your MB manual to be absolutely sure if it's necessary or not, as some boards require an 8-pin vs 4-pin power connector. You could always pick up a 4-pin (P4) to 8-pin converter if necessary... I know Newegg carries them.

Thanks I read the manual and it just says to be sure its connected and I tried just the 4 pin so I'm sure its needed. Do they carry anything like that at radioshak or somewher similar (so I dont have to wait)?

With out any heatsink at all, PC will turn off under 3 seconds, because CPU reaches high temps very quickly.

your PSU has all the proper connectors.

11-124-118-12.jpg

ok I see now ugly child. Thanks Ill get it working. I feel real dumb it was so simple

Thanks again for all the help

If he did need 8 Pin adapter, then it would not turn on in the first place with only 4 Pin adapter.

And knowing Gigabyte, they always slap large sticker on the mobo it self, warning about something very important. Or put an orange/red piece of paper in the box with a warning of something important.

I know that older motherboards would do the same thing if the cpu fan wasn't plugged in to the appropriate header for power. Check out to make sure that the fan is spinning and see if you can't get in to the BIOS to check the speed it's sending (or turn off the warning in PC Health if it's connected and spinning.

UglyChild was right the problem was that the cpu wasnt getting properly cooled. Fixed it and now it works. Thanks for all of your help everyone I really appreciated it

Back