• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking P3 750

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
J

justin

Hi i tried overclocking my p3 750 to 840 using a generic slotket on a gigabyte bx 2000 slot 1 motherboard. It worked initially, then i tried furthering it to 920. It didn't work, and i realised that i could get back neither 840 nor even 750 mhz with the slotket. Is it my processor that's fried or just the slotket, and how to overcome this problem?

please help. thanks

well, like i said, i upgraded my p2 233 to a p3 750 on a gigabyte bx2000 motherboard. but since the p3 750 uses a front bus system, i had to use a slotket. After installation, the computer started without any problem. then i attempted to overclock it to 840 mhz. it started without a problem too. i was greedy and i attempted to overclock it further to 920 mhz. this time it didn't start up. the computer could not do the ram count nor read the processor chip. that is, instead of showing pentium 3-mmx @ 750mhz, it showed I-mmx _4mhz.

so my conclusion is that the slotket must have been damaged when i tried to overclock it @ 920mhz.

what do u think?
Mr B (Mar 24, 2001 11:25 p.m.):
Is it posting at all?? A bit more info on whats happening, please.

Mr B

Sounds like your BIOS needs reset. With my Abit board, if I go too far and mess it up, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 hard boots with turning the power off for several seconds in between to get it to boot at a default setting. With some boards, there is a jumper to change or pull to reset the BIOS and with others you have to pull the battery. Check out your manual and see how to do it on your board.

Very cool. Justin just sent me a private email thanking me for my assistance and said that I saved him from going out and buying another slotket.

Apparently, it was the BIOS that needed reset. Wanted to post this info for others to read in case they ever have the same problem in the future.

You're welcome Justin. Lots of great folks here on the forum have helped me out a bunch in the past and saved me mucho moola (keep me from yanking out the rest of my hair too). I'm only trying to return the favor.

Overclockers.com rules!

Back