• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED System settings too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
S

Storm

I would like to know if the settings I'm running my P-III 1G are too high for the cpu? My system specs are;
CUSL2-C
Cooler Master EP5-6151
P-III 1G 133@1230 32C@ IDLE, 45C running PRIME95 for 4 hrs
VCore- 1.95
FSB/SDRAM/PCI - 164/120/33
Ram 384 meg Samsung PC100
Enermax 330 p/s
MSI GeForce2 GTS 64 DDR

The system can run Win ME at 1252 with voltage@ 2.0, but PRIME95 crashes after 30-40 minutes. I'm converting to water cooling and am getting PC150 ram, just waiting on cashflow to improve. Thanks for any help/advise offered.

There is PC166 and PC180 out now. For the FSB you will be running this stuff is worth checking out. OCZ has the PC180 at least you will know that the memory is not the bottleneck.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Storm youve done a good job on that overclock but you really need to get your temps down mine would crash at those temps, my setup is a little higher then yours and mine is stable with no problems so far, you really dont need to go to water cooling your not going to get that much more out of your chip you can put a small airconditioner in front of your open case and then with temps low you will see how far it will take you with better cooling, ive done a free mod to mine and my temps are 26Cambient\system and 30C running Seti all night. I installed a duct from my HSF to the side of the case so that it draws in cooler air from outside of case it will work better then leaving your case cover off Oh and i'm running with 2.0CV now with those temps also 2 fans one in and one out and you should be able to get those temps down Also did you lapp the coolermaster and are you using a good thermal compound? radioshack is all i'm using and its been doing just fine for me. I think you would be better off spending money on Ram but you really dont need to go to water cooling as your chip is already close to its limit if you were going to do anything i would recommend a better HSF like one of the new copper ones just my two cents and the last update do you have sideband disabled in the registry?

Thanks for the replies, I'm not sure if sidebanding is disabled, will have to check when I get back home. Which is better, enabled or disabled?

Also, I've tried a few different HSF combos, but am limited on what I can get right now, (I'm living in Korea for two more months). I want a good cooling system, but with less noise than I have right now. I'm using a 7,000 rpm whinin monster of a fan and need to lower the sound level. That's the real reason for going to water cooling. Thanks again.

Storm (Jun 02, 2001 09:48 p.m.):
Thanks for the replies, I'm not sure if sidebanding is disabled, will have to check when I get back home. Which is better, enabled or disabled?

Also, I've tried a few different HSF combos, but am limited on what I can get right now, (I'm living in Korea for two more months). I want a good cooling system, but with less noise than I have right now. I'm using a 7,000 rpm whinin monster of a fan and need to lower the sound level. That's the real reason for going to water cooling. Thanks again.

Disabled will help quite a bit. check the article section look at videocard performance and you will find directions to set it to disabled as well as why you should set it that way. I guess you ambient temps must be high where your at, I thought with a fan like that your temps would be lower.

goodluck

My ambient temps are 72-80F, case is around 30C, mb stays at 25C, but goes to 31C when running Prime95. I've also tried running with the case open, but all temps only drop 2 or 3 degrees Celsuis. I'm looking at getting the Danger Den water cooling kit, any pros or cons about it?

DangerDen is one of the better units to be honest theres allot to watercooling and ive never tried it yet you can post in the cooling section and you will get advise from guys that have quite a bit of knowledge about water cooled systems.

goodluck oh 31C is much better then 45C if your at 45C i would do something as these chips cant take heat like other intel chips some places say 60C is max and others say 70c to me this means that some chips will fry at 60 and others at 70. also as you overclock a chip they can get more sensitive towards heat.

Back