• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2005fpw or 2007fpw

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ordered myself one 2007wfp :D
Why don't people just use VGA if there are problems with banding when using DVI port ? :-/
Confused why they make such a big deal when they could fix it.

Last edited:
what do you mean fix it? Fix it by using a properly functioning port because one of them is bad? If thats your way of fixing things I would hate to drive in your car, be in your house, be around, etc. Not sure where that came from, but i will give you the benefit of the doubt in case you have absolutely no common sense or smarts in that head of yours.

In order to get a PURE digital signal, you need to use DVI. That is a better connection than VGA, why not use it if its better? Also, if you want to use the LCD in the next version of Windows, you will need the HDMI over DVI support. If you dont have it, your monitor will NOT work properly in Vista. Buying a $4-500 LCD and having it be obsolete in 6 months is a bad business decision, any way you look at it.

I will tackle this another way. Say your serial ports on your IC7-G mobo are not working properly. It also says you have a raptor. So if this was a true scenerio, you would buy a serial to parallel adapter, and run your raptor off that instead of getting your BROKEN serial ports fixed. Sure you would loose some speed, performance, etc, but at least it works right? Isnt that what you want anyway? A properly functioning computer? I mean who cares if its slow, broken, and not running 100%, but at least it runs right?

You see where I am getting with this? I dont know how anyone would keep something that did not work like its supposed to.

I know the response time for the 2007fpw is higher (16ms vs 2005's 12ms I believe), but I'm wondering if that was the black-white-black response or the gray-to-gray. I read that gray-to-gray response is more important for watching video and gaming. I know the official numbers aren't always accurate, but I'd rather avoid the trouble of shipping it back if there are numerous complaints from fps gamers. Everything else looks way better though, including the look! <3

Yes but what I am saying is whether or not it is worth the hassle to RMA it and then ending up with a refurb that has the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoeyes
I believe the 2007FPW is a 6 bit panel whereas the 2005 is an 8 bit, so thats at least one area where it gets beat.

The dell site doesnt really say... It does still say it is 16.7 Million collors, and it has 16ms typical response time, that makes me believe it could still be a 8bit lcd... I dunno....

First off, 16.7 million colors IS 8bit. If it was 6bit, it would only be capable of 16.2million colors.

I know the response time for the 2007fpw is higher (16ms vs 2005's 12ms I believe), but I'm wondering if that was the black-white-black response or the gray-to-gray. I read that gray-to-gray response is more important for watching video and gaming. I know the official numbers aren't always accurate, but I'd rather avoid the trouble of shipping it back if there are numerous complaints from fps gamers. Everything else looks way better though, including the look! <3

Secondly, the 16ms response rate, is for black-white-black (im 90% sure). so gray to gray, is probably around half that. After reading some reviews, etc. It would appear that no one has had any trouble with ghosting in games/movies/etc.

Here is a good article about it : http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4203

what do you mean fix it? Fix it by using a properly functioning port because one of them is bad? If thats your way of fixing things I would hate to drive in your car, be in your house, be around, etc. Not sure where that came from, but i will give you the benefit of the doubt in case you have absolutely no common sense or smarts in that head of yours.

In order to get a PURE digital signal, you need to use DVI. That is a better connection than VGA, why not use it if its better? Also, if you want to use the LCD in the next version of Windows, you will need the HDMI over DVI support. If you dont have it, your monitor will NOT work properly in Vista. Buying a $4-500 LCD and having it be obsolete in 6 months is a bad business decision, any way you look at it.

Sure you would loose some speed, performance, etc, but at least it works right? Isnt that what you want anyway? A properly functioning computer? I mean who cares if its slow, broken, and not running 100%, but at least it runs right?

You see where I am getting with this? I dont know how anyone would keep something that did not work like its supposed to.

I understand the point your making EternalX, but I think you came off a little harsh. Also, the banding issue doesn't seem to be an impact at all for some people. Others just notice the banding when running the "banding" test. I have only heard of a couple that had issues with it while web browsing, as quite a bit of web pages use gradients, which is where the banding issues come into play. Seeing as how Dell never really fixed the backlight issue with the previous model, I cant say I will hold my breath for this banding issue to get fixed. Although, the backlight issue was a hardware concern, whereas this banding issue has to do with how the monitor interprets the signal, and thus, could possibly be fixed by an updated driver and/or firmware. These sorts of solutions would be classified under LONG-TERM Countermeasure. I very much believe though, that IF one was having problems with the banding, they could indeed change from DVI to VGA as a SHORT-TERM countermeasure. Obviously this does not FIX the problem, only a way around it "for now" until a long term solution can be found / made public. In the article link that i posted earlier in this post, the reviewer even mentioned that he could not tell the difference between the vga and dvi, as far as quality was concerned.
In conclusion, IMO, I dont believe that the banding issue will have an impact on the average user, and as such, I have no problem recommending the dell 2007wfp.
In fact, I just ordered one over ebay through a store / power seller, for 430 shipped! :D I look forward to doing a thorough review on it, definately putting to rest this question of "banding issues" and the short term benifit and impact of VGA vs DVI. (without regard to vista, HDMI)

Whats everyone think about the ViewSonic VX2025WM? This only runs like $380 at buy.com maybe cheaper with coupon being used and ships for free. This is cheaper then the DELL 2005fpw and looks to be the same as the DELL 2007fpw spec wise.

I just got my Dell 2007WFP today.

Wow. I came from cheap 15" LCDs, so this is just...wow. I'm amazed how beautiful it is. Everything works great, no dead pixels. I feel like I've been missing out on so much stuff!

I got mine from somebody who bought a bundle deal. Found him locally, and he sold it to me for $350 cash. I'd say I walked out happy :) This is an amazing monitor.

edit: took pictures. I'd post the images directly, but I'll be kind to those who still have to dial up to get Internet. Here are links. On the third image, I took the honor to put small x's where the corner of the screen is (if you couldn't see it before ;). Hope I'm not threadjacking. I'd say go for the sexier 2007WFP
http://home.comcast.net/~brandon_whiting/images/lcd1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~brandon_whiting/images/lcd2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~brandon_whiting/images/lcd3.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~brandon_whiting/images/lcd4.jpg

Last edited:
Got mine today. 3 letters.

O
M
G

Going from a 17inch CRT, im in awe.

A little bit of backlight bleeding when in the dark. Nothing to get worried about. I am not going to bother doing a gradient test because that will probably just dampen my happiness. Though from normal use I can't see any banding at all. Its just beautiful.

Will never go back to smaller screens and CRTs.

Thinking how I used the computer without it :p

Enough :D

Last edited:
hehe I know how you guys feel. My 17" LCD on my XPS M170 has 1900-1200 res. I never go back. So much room to work its so nice. Congrats on the new LCD. Enjoy it.

You guys are making me anxious now! I just ordered a 2007wfp for myself and reading the reviews makes me want it more! should be here sometime next week, will have a full review and some pictures as well.

the pictures posted above make me very happy to not see very much backlight bleed through.

Is it just me or does the 2007 Widescreen... not look wide? I my self am watching this thread because im only a few weeks away from upgrading my monitor and was going wiith the 2005fpw, but now I see the 2007 is relativly the same price as the 2005. So please any one who has the 2007, could you confirm that its not as "Wide" as the 2005fpw?

I see now... after looking around at other 2007 pics. Some of the pics where the guy had a 2007 in a dual setup were throwing my eyes off and making it seem bigger because he had a small LCD next to it. But I see now that they are the same size.

I got mine today, and it is awsome! Bought it new off someone, but i had them test for dead pixels before i bought it, so best of both worlds, new and no dead pixels. I was planning on taking pics for everyone, but seems the wife took the camera. This is my first LCD and so far so good. I'm so used to a widescreen laptop, this is just awsome. I'll try and get some pics up later if anyone wants to see them.

Bad lighting right now for taking good pics, sorry about quality...

2007-2.jpg

2007-3.jpg

2007-1.jpg

Wow, those are amazing. After seeing those I'm seriously considering the 2007 now. Thanks for posting those.

Banding Issue

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfo...essage.id=54714&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

I've been keeping up with this thread and Dell has confirmed this problem. Most people there are convinced that it's not an isolated incident and defective in ALL 2007's; it's just that some people don't notice or don't care. Thanks eric003. If it wasn't for that review mentioning it, I would have been totally oblivious until I plugged it in for myself. Being a graphic designer, the banding issue is the ONLY thing discouraging me from getting it now and wait for a revision fixing it or a real nice alternative.

Back