• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI R6970 Lightning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sno.lcn

Senior2 Member
The card just arrived, thank you so much to MSI for the opportunity to test this. In the meantime, how about some photos.

img2242oi.jpg
img2239d.jpg

img2244g.jpg
img2245w.jpg

img2247al.jpg
img2248b.jpg

img2249fh.jpg
img2250py.jpg

img2251m.jpg
img2252t.jpg

img2253rj.jpg
img2254i.jpg

img2256m.jpg
img2257.jpg

img2258c.jpg
img2260b.jpg

img2261s.jpg
img2262i.jpg

img2264h.jpg
img2265m.jpg

img2266p.jpg
img2267ks.jpg

img2268f.jpg
img2269f.jpg

A few stock(ish) runs.

signature.img

signature.img

signature.img

Last edited:
Testing Components:
Intel Core i7 2600K
MSI P67-GD55
G.Skill Pi 2x2GB 2400mhz 9-11-9
MSI R6970 Lightning
CPU Cooling: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Silverstone Strider 1000w PSU

Testing everything at stock. Like the setup is being run for the first time out of the box, other than setting memory speed, timings, and voltage.

00stocksettings.jpg

3d0531499.jpg

3d0625046.jpg

vantagee48167.jpg

vantagep22740.jpg

vantageh16347.jpg

heavenxtreme.jpg

Next, I bumped the CPU multiplier up to 42x to check for CPU scaling with stock card clocks. Obviously some benchmarks will scale more than others with only a CPU frequency increase. I was actually surprised to see such a gain in Heaven though, given how GPU-dependent the benchmark is. That would seem to indicate a bottleneck somewhere between the ~3.5ghz used in the first round of testing, and the ~4.2ghz used in this one.

00settings.jpg

3d0536893.jpg

vantagep24315.jpg

vantageh16783.jpg

heavenxtreme1525.jpg

Next I started testing some card clocks. Obviously, 1000mhz was a piece of cake with stock voltage. I still have the BIOS switch set to "Silent" and the card is exactly that. With the CPU still running on the 42x multiplier, I did some quick tests at 1000mhz core, 1500mhz memory.

vantagep25218.jpg

heavenat1000core1500mem.jpg

And with the CPU on the 50x multiplier.

5ghz10001500settings.jpg

vantagep26339.jpg

5ghzcpu10001500heaven.jpg

signatureimg.jpg

Last edited:
MSI's Lightning and Hawk series are non-reference PCBs. Usually having better components and better voltage control.

NDA is over, we're back in business :D

Didn't sign NDA, but if I post before it's over, guess how much support I can expect from the manufacturer in the future? ;)

Fair enough.

Looking at img
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/680/img2256m.jpg

Have you played with the dip switches on the back of the card yet?
The OCP Unlocker one in particular.
Was wondering if it lets you got over the max power envelope that AMD has restricted us with.

Just would be interesting to see how much FPS we are losing do to PowerTune in certain apps

Added some initial testing.

Fair enough.

Looking at img
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/680/img2256m.jpg

Have you played with the dip switches on the back of the card yet?
The OCP Unlocker one in particular.
Was wondering if it lets you got over the max power envelope that AMD has restricted us with.

Just would be interesting to see how much FPS we are losing do to PowerTune in certain apps

I'm having some issues with software voltage adjustments, so I need to get those worked out before even needing OCP. I'm guessing the switch does indeed remove that restriction, which we can also do ourselves on reference cards with a soldering iron ;)

I'd like to purchase 1 or 2 of these. But, I do not see them listed anywhere.

How long does it usually take for a product as new as this to reach retailers; maybe one like Fry's or Best Buy?

As soon as they're in stock at Newegg, here's the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127581&cm_re=6970-_-14-127-581-_-Product

Added some initial testing.

I'm having some issues with software voltage adjustments, so I need to get those worked out before even needing OCP. I'm guessing the switch does indeed remove that restriction, which we can also do ourselves on reference cards with a soldering iron ;)

The voltage adjustment issues I was having were related to using the incorrect ATI driver for card operation on LN2.

My reply to a post at XS, may be helpful.

Sorry if I'm too noob for this graphics card and can't figure this out, but I'd really appreciate your help.

I have this same card. I purchased it because it was ~$30 more expensive (for me, where I shop) than a reference card, and it comes with a dope cooler. I recently stopped using liquid cooling and am back to all air cooling.

I have a question that maybe you can answer about the BIOS switch. I almost RMA'd my card because my system wouldn't POST, and it had to do with the switch position.

If you orient yourself with the switch so that you are looking at the back of the card, and the switch lever is pointing at you (I edited your PIC), the Left position will not let my system POST, the Middle and Right work just fine. What is the difference between the Middle and Right positions?

Is it like this:

1. Left = Not Used
  2. Middle = Performance Fan Profile
  3. Right = Quiet Fan Profile?

I wish I were an "expert user" so I could figure this out; I called MSI and they treated me like a dumbass instead of just helping me find the information.

As you can see, the information that came packaged with the R6970 Lightning is lacking. The position of the switch in this picture is the same position that won't let my system POST; the VGA_LED stays lit solid.

MSI actually saw your post and sent me an answer to this. They'll also be including this in the FAQ for this card. Gotta love MSI's support 🆙

image001ch.jpg

L = Reserved for Future Function (Switch to this position, the external device is needed to boot up the card) … currently, no design, so if you switch to “L”, the card wont be able to boot.

M = Boosted BIOS setting to 2.5x PowerTune Range and Maximize CCC limit for higher overclocking capability.

R = Default BIOS setting

My reply to a post at XS, may be helpful.

MSI actually saw your post and sent me an answer to this. They'll also be including this in the FAQ for this card. Gotta love MSI's support 🆙

image001ch.jpg

L = Reserved for Future Function (Switch to this position, the external device is needed to boot up the card) … currently, no design, so if you switch to “L”, the card wont be able to boot.

M = Boosted BIOS setting to 2.5x PowerTune Range and Maximize CCC limit for higher overclocking capability.

R = Default BIOS setting
Sorry to bring up an old post, but this helped me out a lot. I did not realize the three settings when I figured out it was that switch that caused me not to boot. After which I searched the web and found this thread. Very helpful knowing this. I just wish that MSI had mentioned these settings in the documents that you get with the GPU. In fact they do not mention much at all int he documents that you get. They might need to try and improve in that area. :)

I am loving this GPU though. I have great performance from it. I actually bought two for Crossfire. It does run hot in BF3 when using Ultra settings. Might be a case airflow issue though. I am trying to improve that right now, which is why and when that no boot issue came about. Hopefully what I have done to the case layout and fan positions will help. I took out the second hdd/ssd housing in my NZXT Phantom case to make more airflow path.I all the fans the case can hold installed. Its just a matter of getting the flow right, I hope. My next option is to remove the CPU cooler which is huge so that it can open up the airflow even more. I plan to get a Liquid Cooling setup for the CPU soon. I wish I could for these GPU's but they are not reference. So I may be out of luck. :(

Well time to get back to work on my PC. I need to get back into BF3. :)

OH Yeah...
Thanks for posting this info. It was great help to know this. ;)

Back