• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My View of a P4 from a AMD & P3 Background.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
stan03 said:

is this with a new ps? if not, im betting that the powersupply caused that too.

This is all the old stuff and the corsair RAM.

stan03 said:
i think if you get a new ps you will be stable at 3.2

Possable, because somthing is limiting me and it is not the Processor.

Yes, your cpu most likely has a lot more in it. Your corsair is definitely bettter than your kingston, but it is limiting you also (just at a higher fsb). Your power supply is likely contributing to the problem, but this effect is usually subtle and can only be quantified by replacing it with a more capable unit.

Bear in mind that if you do get 512MB sticks it will make it tough to get all the good out of your cpu without modifying the motherboard for increased memory voltage. 2 256s will overclock a lot more readily, but 1GB of ram certainly isn't any wild luxury these days. This is the only real problem faced by P4 overclockers at present, as the chipsets and cpus have a LOT in them, but the ram is very stressed as you exceed 400MHz by any substantial margin. A BH4 would likely be a god-send, but for the moment you are limited to serious vdimm on BH5s or running PC4000 types with their attendant lousy timings (and the ridiculous price being charged for such sticks).

larva said:
Yes, your cpu most likely has a lot more in it. Your corsair is definitely bettter than your kingston, but it is limiting you also (just at a higher fsb). Your power supply is likely contributing to the problem, but this effect is usually subtle and can only be quantified by replacing it with a more capable unit.

Bear in mind that if you do get 512MB sticks it will make it tough to get all the good out of your cpu without modifying the motherboard for increased memory voltage. 2 256s will overclock a lot more readily, but 1GB of ram certainly isn't any wild luxury these days. This is the only real problem faced by P4 overclockers at present, as the chipsets and cpus have a LOT in them, but the ram is very stressed as you exceed 400MHz by any substantial margin. A BH4 would likely be a god-send, but for the moment you are limited to serious vdimm on BH5s or running PC4000 types with their attendant lousy timings (and the ridicoulous price being charged for such sticks).

so what would you suggest for ram becuase I want atleast 512MB and Dual channel, I am in no hurry so If you feel a new breakthrough in ram is a few months away then I am all for it.

I am a firm believer in BH5. If you run 256MB dimms you should be able to maximize your cpu's potential with ~2.8V Vdimm. Using 512MB dimms usually increases the need for Vdimm to the 3V+ level for similiarly good results. In 256MB dimms, the Kingston HyperX 3000, 3200 (not 3200A), Mushkin PC3200 or 3500 Level 2, or Buffalo 3700 are the strong contenders. I am assuming the 256MB Buffalo's coming from newegg are still BH5, but the latest 512MB ones showed up with Micron so there is no guarantee there. But they are cheap and easily returnable should they not live up to expectations.

Back