• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stolenladder

alright I own a celeron 667mhz comp with pc133 ram thats currently at 64 mbs of ram
I am very new to overclockin and wanted to know how to overclock my system without frying it seeming I am poorer than hell and cant afford to replace my system
I also wanted to know if it is a safe idea for me to do it seeming i cant afford a new system if i screw up

Welcome to the forum stolenladder, aside from the cpu and ram we'll need to know the mobo your using and all the vitals you can throw at us. Almost forgot, what are you using for cooling? Stock HSF im guessing? Well if you havent already you might check out the tips and techniques on the main page, in the beginers guides theres an article explaining the basics. But with th celeron your only option is through FSB. You can change the FSB via the BIOS or if the mobo has it Jumpers on the mobo(if this is the case you'll of course have to refer to your manual) . So if you give us the specs we need then we can start. Also tell us if its an OEM, if thats the case you may have trouble as most OEM pc's dont allow for much if any options when it comes to overclocking. I think ive touched on the basics, if i havent someone will surely say so. Well feel free to shoot me an email or icq me if you want. Dont forget to list your vitals and have a good time here.

-OF

u guys seem very willing to help but i just want to stat i dont know what the hell all the oem and fbs and what nots are.. i know im slow but i would appreciate all the help.. u want me to take a pic of the black loading screen?

stolenladder (Jun 02, 2001 10:00 p.m.):
u guys seem very willing to help but i just want to stat i dont know what the hell all the oem and fbs and what nots are.. i know im slow but i would appreciate all the help.. u want me to take a pic of the black loading screen?

Oem is Original Equiptment Manufacturer i.e Dell,Gateway Compaq ect.
Fsb-Front side bus, the speed at which your memory runs at, youve probably heard like Pc133, pc100 ect, the 133 and 100 is the Fsb. To determine the speed of the processor you take the multipler and multiply it by FSB. You have a 10x multiplyer on a 66mhz FSB giving you a cel 667. By increasing the FSB to say 75 it would go like this, 10 X 75=750 as opposed to the original 667, thus you have just overclocked your processor. Easier said than done though. Im sure youve got more questions before you start so ask away.

-OF

ahh ill look into that stuff i read part of the beginners guides and read about the fans and stuff.. is this really all nessacary?

YEP if you dont keep it cool theres a good chance you could fry your PCU, Heat is the enemy and the better you deal with it the more stable your newly overclocked PC will run. You can do a light overclocking as long as lond as you keep your temps down.

look at it like this as far as reading articles and the post go

Your going through dark woods full of bears load up on all the amunition you can get your hands on.

well sir, by increasing the speed your increasing the amount of info that goes through the Proc, and info like anything takes power or energy to make it move. Thats what the Voltage is, Voltage as we all know from science class is the amount of force that pushes electrons though something, as you raise the MHZ your pushing more electrons, by raising the Core you are able to push more electrons. I hope this is sort of clear, i dont explain stuff all that well. Extra cooling (the mentioning of fans all the time) is also necessary to keep the proc. cool, this keeps it stable. Im sure youve just got the retial HSF on the processor right? no worries i had it to and got my 800eb to 900 without much trouble. Sorry im rambiling but yes added cooling is not "necessary" but i wouldnt be caught without some.

i see... is there a way i can just take the side wall off and put a room fan next to it?
btw my aim name is overburn2000 if u can msg me on that

well when i 1st started oc'ing i didnt have any extra cooling, as long as youve got a heatsink and fan on your processor thats about all you need to start. For adding cooling there should be room at the front bottom of your case for most likely an 80mm fan. But dont worry too much about that just yet, youve got a heatsink AND fan on your processor right? and IS your comp an OEM? Do you know yet what mobo you have? Sorry bud i dont have aim, but if you need you can reach me via icq , my #'s on the side there, email (on the side there) or msn [email protected] or you could just post here w/e's best for you.

sorry didnt read your post fully, yeah sure that'd work fine, lots of people do that for that extra few degrees off the system temp. Its better than nothing

Thats a start but i would recommend a couple case fans there only ten bucks each, quite a few people do run with there side case cover off to get temps down some, if you do that then there is no need for case fans, I prefere case fans though, onother option that is free is to install a duct from your proccesor to your sidecase cover this will let your HSF heatsinkfan draw in cool air from outside the case it will do a better job of cooling then taking your case cover off. another free thing you can do is to lapp your HSF smoothing the bottom of your heatsink this gives your heatsink more contact to the proccesor which helps quite a bit to get temps down using a good thermal paste is another way to get temps down arctic silver2 is the best but radioshack compound is only like 3 bucks and will work much better then thermal tape.

goodluck

Back