• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What new toys did you get today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No pics, its going back to the store... 5.75GHz 2600K is dead. Glad I got a deal on it, but thats $330 literally up in smoke, and a hit on my Ivy Bridge budget.

The board did its job however - it has onboard diagnostic codes, and I got no post, with a 00 code. (per manual, 00 is not used)

Bummer!

Oh, what a pity.

BTW, do NOT return it yet, my ASRock also did report 00 the first time I installed it, and it got repaired by reseating the CPU.

Oh, what a pity.

BTW, do NOT return it yet, my ASRock also did report 00 the first time I installed it, and it got repaired by reseating the CPU.

I've reseated once so far... I'm going to reseat about 12 more times now that you've said that. False hope is a terrible thing.

No pics, its going back to the store... 5.75GHz 2600K is dead. Glad I got a deal on it, but thats $330 literally up in smoke, and a hit on my Ivy Bridge budget.

The board did its job however - it has onboard diagnostic codes, and I got no post, with a 00 code. (per manual, 00 is not used)

Bummer!

:mad::bang head:rain:

I've reseated once so far... I'm going to reseat about 12 more times now that you've said that. False hope is a terrible thing.

I hope it ends up working, that 5.75GHz is a good processor indeed. I got a little bit scared when I just finished installing my rig, and I got greeted with a beautiful 00 error code. It was related to the CPU not being seated correctly. Also, remember that RAM modules are a P.I.T.A. most of the time.

My hong kong shipment came :D Happy Happy Joy Joy :D

So I got my 1600watt IR board heater :D I put the 280 gtx on it to give you an idea of the size, plus its my first victim :D Why use the oven when you have the right tool for the job.

ir_preheater.jpg

This next part is two shipments combined actually, the rest of the Hong Kong shipment which is, and the two fans that came yesterday. Hong Kong items are, A stencil for socket 1155, Five 1155 sockets(stacked up) balled and ready for install/replacement, And two processor dummy loads/test points. A easy version which has a battery attack to it for the lights and circuitry, and the more complex version which gives you test points on the surface for everything important that needs to be tested. This sure beats killing a processor in the test phases of stuff :D. (thats not an imog quip, ordered these before that happened, Personal experience dictated such).

sockets_betav.jpg

Never seen that Juan, must say you get stuff that I have no clue how to use it, looks complicated, what exactly do you do with those stencils?

The stencils help you apply solder accurately on tiny little PCBs/ICs is my understanding Edmund. He could actually do a frontpage article explaining how to use the tools he's acquiring, and I think it'd be pretty interesting.

Would be great, we actually need more mod guides, i for one is a big n00b when it comes to hard modding cards and boards

My hong kong shipment came :D Happy Happy Joy Joy :D

So I got my 1600watt IR board heater :D I put the 280 gtx on it to give you an idea of the size, plus its my first victim :D Why use the oven when you have the right tool for the job.

View attachment 108096

This next part is two shipments combined actually, the rest of the Hong Kong shipment which is, and the two fans that came yesterday. Hong Kong items are, A stencil for socket 1155, Five 1155 sockets(stacked up) balled and ready for install/replacement, And two processor dummy loads/test points. A easy version which has a battery attack to it for the lights and circuitry, and the more complex version which gives you test points on the surface for everything important that needs to be tested. This sure beats killing a processor in the test phases of stuff :D. (thats not an imog quip, ordered these before that happened, Personal experience dictated such).

View attachment 108097

:shock:

Appears long gone are the days of using liquid flux pens.

I think those stencils are to align the balls on BGA installation for heat guns, because that requires precision.

Is that different from what I said? Its like extreme cooling stuff before I started, I wasn't sure what a dewar or evaporator was until I could see what people were doing by reading their comments and looking at the pictures... When you say align the balls on BGA installation for heat guns, I'm not understanding very well what you are saying.

I think pictures and an idiot explanation would help me visualize how the stencil works and what different thingies you are sticking together by using them.

Is that different from what I said? Its like extreme cooling stuff before I started, I wasn't sure what a dewar or evaporator was until I could see what people were doing by reading their comments and looking at the pictures... When you say align the balls on BGA installation for heat guns, I'm not understanding very well what you are saying.

I think pictures and an idiot explanation would help me visualize how the stencil works and what different thingies you are sticking together by using them.
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_grid_array

It is literally an array of solder balls.

I would love to read a guide/see a pictured description of what happens. I've read on a lot of xbox modding forums about people buying a 're-baller' to fix broken xboxes

Thats a 80mm stencil for the lga1155 socket. They are fairly easy to use. This type is a placement stencil only, You remove it once the balls are placed.

Once the bga chip/socket is clean. You apply a light layer of flux. clamp it into the reballing station, which is setup to align the chip correctly under the stencil. Then you take the stencil which is mounted in a clip and place it over the top. There are posts that make sure the stencil is aligned correctly and wont move with the station. From there you pour the correct size balls on top of the stencil, the bulk of the balls will fall in the holes fairly easily. Brush and pour away the excess balls (theres a tiny lil pour spout on the stencil mount to help with this). Then if you have a spring loaded reball station you press down, and remove the stencil. Or if you down have a spring loaded reball station, you carefully remove the stencil straight up from the station. Recheck the alignment of the balls, and search for any stray balls that might of gotten under the stencil. Then apply heat tillthe balls become a shiny silver in color and will give a light shake as they align and fix themselves to the pads. After that you let the bga cool, and prep the pcb that your gonna mount it to with a light coat of flux, and then align the chip with it. Again apply heat, this time it will take longer, you will see the chip again give a light shimmy when the solder becomes liquid. I usually give it another 30 seconds past that to insure that all the balls are melted and bonding. At that point remove heat and test.

Woot! Those are fun!
Be aware that the VCC plane surrounds the GND pads, don't scratch that solder mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back