• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for old arcade machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok, the work log is back up. sorry about the delay.

crack- you said that the keyboard hack has its weaknesses? what are those?

what is an i-pac and why is it better?

Keyboard hacks tend to produce ghosting. Basically if you press a group of keys than it can cause another key being pressed. Also the Setup with the Ipac is easier since the thing is programmable and basically built from the ground up for mame. Also there is no soldering/splicing and such involved. You plug the ipac into your usb port, then wire your buttons into the Ipac.

an ipac is just an interface to wire buttons to that hooks into your pc to make wiring a control panel much much easier

how would the ipac work out with other platform emulators, say nesticle or things like that?

stikphysh said:
ok, the work log is back up. sorry about the delay.

crack- you said that the keyboard hack has its weaknesses? what are those?

what is an i-pac and why is it better?

Ghosting as previously mentioned can be a problem.

Having an I-pac also allows you to have a keyboard connected to your cab without having to swap the cables over. I've found that a wireless keyboard is invaluable on my cab as I run a lot of non-emulated games which require different keys.
Also they are just generally neater and hence less likely to go wrong. Saying that I ran a keyboard hack for a year with no ghosting and no problems whatsoever.

Back