• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Had a Titan V so I ran Eth Miner for fun...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Completely stock. So I just overclocked it using MSI Afterburner, and one time it made the screen turn half static, one time I had to restart, but then I got the settings good and got exactly 80 mh/s and change... I have heard that you can't do damage to your cards using Afterburner, like it wont let you- is that true? The fan turned on high on the Titan V for the first time ever and it was SO LOUD. I've heard maybe 20 types of GPU fans in high gear and I've never heard anything like this exactly. So I pulled the plug on the computer because I was scared of bricking my card. I need to learn more about overclocking, I'm new to these forums and I came to learn. Next week, I'll be water cooling the Titan V with EK parts, so hopefully it'll perform even better. One crappy part is that there is not place for an SLI bridge on a Titan V. I have more, so I thought it would be pretty sick to install them and run it through some paces, but apparently this card doesnt allow for that... Not like I need much more from a card anyway...

Completely stock. So I just overclocked it using MSI Afterburner, and one time it made the screen turn half static, one time I had to restart, but then I got the settings good and got exactly 80 mh/s and change... I have heard that you can't do damage to your cards using Afterburner, like it wont let you- is that true? The fan turned on high on the Titan V for the first time ever and it was SO LOUD. I've heard maybe 20 types of GPU fans in high gear and I've never heard anything like this exactly. So I pulled the plug on the computer because I was scared of bricking my card. I need to learn more about overclocking, I'm new to these forums and I came to learn. Next week, I'll be water cooling the Titan V with EK parts, so hopefully it'll perform even better. One crappy part is that there is not place for an SLI bridge on a Titan V. I have more, so I thought it would be pretty sick to install them and run it through some paces, but apparently this card doesnt allow for that... Not like I need much more from a card anyway...

Bitchin! what's ur ROI now? :p

I don't know that Afterburner won't let you burn out your cards, but as long as you can keep temperatures in check and there aren't any stability issues you're probably going to be pretty OK.

Surely there are safety measures built in, but I wouldn't discount the ingenuity of an overclocker. Very talented folks!

^ Good call on the water cooling :) I found out the hard way that basic fans are not designed for 85% - 100% 24/7 + 2 months = fans no longer spin.
I fold and the program does not need the the cards to be CF or SLI to be used. Just as long as the system has the card working, the program can use it. Ask around to see if the mining software is the same.
MSI AB is "designed for MSI cards" but may work with other card makers (Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA, Ect..Ect..)
All OC software can damage the product if you do not know what you are doing.
This is call "taking it to the edge" when you stated "one time it made the screen turn half static, one time I had to restart". This is what you do for benching.
Benching is a short sprint of 1 - 3 mins @ 100% and then rest for 5 - 10 min. Folding & Mining are a marathon that BEAT the card 24 hours/7 days @ 100%.
This MAY decrease the life of the card. < Example : card is made to last 10yrs but by running it 24/7 it may now only last 4-5 yrs.

Thanks for that insight. A little background on me. I got my start in mining and that’s what opened up the door to computers, benchmarking, water cooling, etc. I’ve built 8 or 12 card rigs with the 300 cards I had and they all worked great so I know I could use the Titan V for mining, but at $3000 value, they are better utilized elsewhere. And unfortunately, the other benchmarking apps really don’t care if I’m using more than one card if they’re not linked.

By the way, what is folding? I don’t think I’ve ever heard that term before?

Thanks,

RZ

I think I just figured out what folding is- it’s for folding proteins, right? If so, what if I incorporated a powerful Tesla card for your team? Would that be placed in a different category as the Titan V, and would it produce dramatically improved results for us?

Thanks for that insight. A little background on me. I got my start in mining and that’s what opened up the door to computers, benchmarking, water cooling, etc. I’ve built 8 or 12 card rigs with the 300 cards I had and they all worked great so I know I could use the Titan V for mining, but at $3000 value, they are better utilized elsewhere. And unfortunately, the other benchmarking apps really don’t care if I’m using more than one card if they’re not linked.

By the way, what is folding? I don’t think I’ve ever heard that term before?

Thanks,

RZ

http://folding.stanford.edu/

It's a distributed computing projet that analyses proteins in the search for a cure to cancer and other degenerative diseases. There are points attributed for the completion of work units in a specific time frame. There is an Overclockers team that has been running for years, while it's not ranked as high as it used to be we still have a respectable place in the standings.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=

http://folding.stanford.edu/

It's a distributed computing projet that analyses proteins in the search for a cure to cancer and other degenerative diseases. There are points attributed for the completion of work units in a specific time frame. There is an Overclockers team that has been running for years, while it's not ranked as high as it used to be we still have a respectable place in the standings.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=

And if you set up your username the right way, you can get paid Foldingcoin (FLDC) for folding.

Official-guide-to-mining-Foldingcoin-(FLDC)-for-Team-32

That's incredible!!! I am going to resurrect some ether miners I had and start them folding. I dont care too much about the tiny bit of money money, though it's true that electricity is costly. DO we get updates on what our contributions have done? Like cure a certain cancer? This is so perfect - I want to build superfast computers for benching but it seemed like a waste until I heard about this. Thank you so much for teaching me about this!

Also, I'm sure you're familiar with cards like Nvidia's Tesla's and how powerful they are, except they can't mine for ****. But in the real world, they would be ideal for folding, it's what they were made for (among other things.) Do you think if I put some Tesla's in SLI or NV Link it will boost our teams scores dramatically?

Better yet, you can merge mine Curecoin *and* Foldingcoin with no apparent loss of performance on either side. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

You can, but if you do so, you'll be doing it for the Curecoin team, not the Overclockers team. FLDC can be done for any team, but Curecoin is only for the Curecoin team. While I did it for a while to purchase some hardware, I'm not willing to do it long-term.

You can, but if you do so, you'll be doing it for the Curecoin team, not the Overclockers team. FLDC can be done for any team, but Curecoin is only for the Curecoin team. While I did it for a while to purchase some hardware, I'm not willing to do it long-term.

You said you did it for a while tonourchase hardware... how much money can you really make mining this stuff? I thought it would literally be like a few dollars

You said you did it for a while tonourchase hardware... how much money can you really make mining this stuff? I thought it would literally be like a few dollars

Got to look at the exchanges to get an idea of the prices. Then figure out what your card can do for mining.
Since you got a very nice GPU, I think you might just have to mine and tweak the settings to see what is the best for the card since its probably out of the norm for majority of all people. Let alone mining community which is all about ROI and earning cash.

I understand. I actually got back into computers due to mining. At one point I had amassed over 300 GPU's. I still have some great connections with big corporations for wholesale rates and when I've been on here for more than 30 days (only a few more days,) I'll post em in the classifieds....

I'll try to address this later, but for March I was able to get $340 cash from 8 cards (mostly 1080Ti cards) folding, with just FLDC.

Back