• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HL2 Cinematic Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buffheman

So I've heard a bunch about this cinematic mod thing, but I can't look it up since it's blocked at work and I'm curious now.

Can someone describe this mod to me and tell me if it's worth playing? I've been bored lately in the gaming world, and was thinking of replaying half life 2 and the episodes since they're so great.

A large download ~10Gigs with an install of ~20-25Gigs, of lots of extra high res textures. Some tweaks where done with the game if not mistaken as well but high res models and textures are the primary focus of this mod.

Worth playing? We'll if you like playing HL2, why not do it with a little more definition :)

I tried it a while back and it was kinda garbage. The 'highlight' seems to be the mod creator changing Alex (Alyx? Whatever.) to look like some famous lady.

The graphics never actually looked better, and even looked rather worse to my eye. The feel of the game was just changed, and not in a good way.

I played version 7, was fun. And I didn't use the supermodel Alex, just the one from HL2EP2. They used her updated model ported back into HL2 and HL2EP1.

Screenshots and the trailer look amazing... I don't notice much of a difference...

The textures are larger but I can't tell much of a difference in EP2. In the origional HL2 it looks like HL2 + EP2 HDR.

I don't think it's worth it.

I installed ab. 3 weeks ago,
Cinematic Mod 10 from the web site (Beta 1 & 2) together
and then the "beta 3". Unfortunally, the torrent it's not working so you need to download the pieces from the links.

I had no problem installing, nor configuring onr playing. I just ran the setup.exe from dw1 and then from dw2.

I have a good rig and with all maxed out, at 8XMSAA I'm having a great experience, and solid 60fps.

It's not only the high textures, he re-did some of the maps and textures to add more stuff, improved views, etc. Also, on darker parts of the game, it does get darker, and the use of the flash light gets a real necessity and adds to the game. Also, you will be playing EP0 with EP2 engine, that adds visual quality, distance of view, AF, etc, etc.

It's a big download, and can be a performance hit on some rigs. I am happy I downloaded it.
I am re-playing HL2 EP0 from the beginning (currently at Highway 7, just got the car) and for sure I am going to play EP1 adn EP2 as well........

Right before I downloaded the mod, I has replaying EP0, and the diff is tremendous, I started again just to compare both and it was worth it.

Well, HL2 gameplay it's excellent anyways, so even with std graphics the game it's a gem

I could never get it to work and it has way too many versions.

Great idea, terrible execution.

I'd have to agree with you here. There's like 20 versions and the only functional download I can find for v10 are 50 files on rapidshare. It would take me 15 days to download that. Start 1 when I get up, start 1 when I get home from work, start 1 when I go to sleep, rinse and repeat... screw that, borderlands will be out by then. I'll just twiddle my thumbs for a week... or maybe get Risen, heard it was decent.

I'd have to agree with you here. There's like 20 versions and the only functional download I can find for v10 are 50 files on rapidshare. It would take me 15 days to download that. Start 1 when I get up, start 1 when I get home from work, start 1 when I go to sleep, rinse and repeat... screw that, borderlands will be out by then. I'll just twiddle my thumbs for a week... or maybe get Risen, heard it was decent.

Here:

v10 Final Full Installer Torrent.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/2997788

Add this tracker
http://tracker.openbittorrent.com/announce

don't know the quality, but should be up.

Beta 1 & 2 download from the torrent at the website fast and easy.

Also:

I snagged it from Rapid Share and I also snagged it from Fileplanet, both places I had trouble in that some of the zip files were corrupted, even after trying to download them multiple times.

Yeah I gave up. And Borderlands comes out today... you had your chance, cinematic mod.

Back