• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

low PPD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

starshooter10

So I've always folded, mostly without a team on my server

a couple months ago I was able to piece together what could be an awesome server from scraps that where getting tossed at work.

but i didnt want to have to migrate my server over to the new system so i did what any sane person would so... I shoe horned it into a desktop chassis!! (specs below)

once I got this new *ahem* desktop I started to fold under my own team and though it would be fun to compare PPD and some of you are besting 400k a day?!?!?

WTF?!

my desktop "only" does an estimated 30k a day :|

check the specs below and tell me what im doing wrong :p

both are stock clocks, I dont know how to OC supermicros, no bios options :p

server:
supermicro X7-dcl-i
2x L5440
24GB DDR2 800ECC
~16TB sata )
~TB SAS for OS and some VM's (OS Array)
on a LSI 9690sa-8I (BBU of course)

desktop:
super micro X8-DTE-F
2x L5639
24GB DDR-3 ECC
4x73GB 15K SAS striped
another 9690-sa 4I (with BBU)
64GB SSD for cache/temp
(into mobo)

Those of us earning the highest points per day (ppd), are either using several PC's to do that, or are folding the big advanced type of work unit, that Stanford is rewarding currently with lots of points - especially if the work unit (wu), is folded quickly, and returned.

Note that to be eligible, the system in question must:

1) Have an entered passkey from Stanford FAH.

2) Show 16 cores or more. Hyperthreaded cores count in this number.

3) That passkey must have completed 80% of it's total wu's, successfully AND within the time limit specified by the wu.

4) The PC must also have completed 10 SMP type wu's, successfully, and within the time limit specified by the wu.

5) Have the -smp and -bigadv flags set in the folding client.

6) Have the big wu variable set during set up of the folding client, but NOT have the advanced wu set during set up. Big advanced and advanced flags are two entirely different flags.

The above can qualify a unit to receive the QRB (Quick Return Bonus), which in the case of SMP wu's, can be quite substantial. In the case of the -bigadv work unit, the QRB is *huge*.

The very successful rigs folding -bigadv work units, typically have 4 AMD Opterons (6174's are perhaps most successful), but 6128's are OK also, and cost much less.

Intel cpu's are powerhouses, but in the past, have been quite a bit more expensive. With the new Xeon chips just released, that may have changed somewhat.

Those of us earning the highest points per day (ppd), are either using several PC's to do that, or are folding the big advanced type of work unit, that Stanford is rewarding currently with lots of points - especially if the work unit (wu), is folded quickly, and returned.

Note that to be eligible, the system in question must:

1) Have an entered passkey from Stanford FAH.

2) Show 16 cores or more. Hyperthreaded cores count in this number.

3) That passkey must have completed 80% of it's total wu's, successfully AND within the time limit specified by the wu.

4) The PC must also have completed 10 SMP type wu's, successfully, and within the time limit specified by the wu.

5) Have the -smp and -bigadv flags set in the folding client.

6) Have the big wu variable set during set up of the folding client, but NOT have the advanced wu set during set up. Big advanced and advanced flags are two entirely different flags.

The above can qualify a unit to receive the QRB (Quick Return Bonus), which in the case of SMP wu's, can be quite substantial. In the case of the -bigadv work unit, the QRB is *huge*.

The very successful rigs folding -bigadv work units, typically have 4 AMD Opterons (6174's are perhaps most successful), but 6128's are OK also, and cost much less.

Intel cpu's are powerhouses, but in the past, have been quite a bit more expensive. With the new Xeon chips just released, that may have changed somewhat.

What he said. Also for comparison, my desktop is running two Xeon e5430's at stock clocks and it is turning out about 20k ppd. The other 10 or so coming from my c2d dell studio xps and i5 machine.

Back