• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win XP install from USB (hell of a time) :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GIXXERGUY6

I have no clue why this is so difficult this time around. I've done it on netbooks, but for some reason it's not working for me.

I've spent the last week trying to get XP installed on a laptop(has a faulty rom drive). My USB DISC Drive isn't working either. I have tried Win2USB/Peto and various other walk through that should be working and they aren't.

Anyone have an easier way? What about installing it from my desktop via network(never done this...how hard is it?)

Input?

i used win2usb or unetbootin, i forget which.

It seemed pretty simple process, is it not booting from USB or is the installer just failing? If the later it could be corruption, you might need a new disk image to use.

i used win2usb or unetbootin, i forget which.

It seemed pretty simple process, is it not booting from USB or is the installer just failing? If the later it could be corruption, you might need a new disk image to use.

The disc image is fine. I used it to create a cd to install on another laptop at the same time I'm trying this one(USB)

I go through all the steps on various sites. komku was one, tomshardware was another. It goes through all the steps and says it's done, but there isn't anything on the flash drive(still 1.92gb free of 1.92gb)

I'll try unetbootin to see if that one works(I think that's the one I used before) I do know this process is pissing me off :D

I use this guide:
http://www.ezbsystems.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=2;t=2440

It is very simple, and works well.

The guide seems a bit long, however these are the essential parts:

1. Create bootable bartpe
2. Write bartpe iso to USB using Ultraiso (this puts the bootable files and everything on the USB)
3. Copy i386 folder from XP install media to the USB drive with bartpe on it
4. Boot to the USB, and once the OS is loaded launch xp setup using the command: X:\i386\winnt32.exe /syspart:C: /tempdrive:C: /makelocalsource /noreboot

I've used this multiple times to do XP installs successfully from USB. Once you boot to the USB drive, you are essentially in a windows environment (if you haven't used bartpe before, if you have, then this will look very familiar)

I use this guide:
http://www.ezbsystems.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=2;t=2440

It is very simple, and works well.

The guide seems a bit long, however these are the essential parts:

1. Create bootable bartpe
2. Write bartpe iso to USB using Ultraiso (this puts the bootable files and everything on the USB)
3. Copy i386 folder from XP install media to the USB drive with bartpe on it
4. Boot to the USB, and once the OS is loaded launch xp setup using the command: X:\i386\winnt32.exe /syspart:C: /tempdrive:C: /makelocalsource /noreboot

I've used this multiple times to do XP installs successfully from USB. Once you boot to the USB drive, you are essentially in a windows environment (if you haven't used bartpe before, if you have, then this will look very familiar)

Thanks Matt,

I'll give it a try :D

If you have any trouble, let me know and I can assist.

How long will PE Builder take to "collect files"?

no errors or warnings, but there isn't a green status bar at the top either.

It's been stuck at "Processing (ASMS) for about 3 minutes.

Scratch that:

Error: returned error 1117: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

I'm going to repeat and see what happens

Last edited:
Less than 5 minutes if I recall correctly.

I see progress while it runs. If you have an ISO, you want to extract the ISO to a folder then point bartpe to the folder containing the source files... I don't know if you can point bartpe at the mounted iso.

Less than 5 minutes if I recall correctly.

I see progress while it runs. If you have an ISO, you want to extract the ISO to a folder then point bartpe to the folder containing the source files... I don't know if you can point bartpe at the mounted iso.

Yeah I've received the same error twice now. Even used a different usb drive.

do you have a img or iso file?
have you tried on a linux machine cat windowsXP.img|dd of=/dev/sdb

youd likely have to change the output dev and/or the filename of the img

I do believe I am in love with IMOG :D

Thanks for the help my friend!!!

Install underway

NO i'm not!

Well it's not his fault. I have had more trouble installing xp on 2 computers than I have in my entire life!
Code:
Setup cannot copy the file: bootvid.dll
before that is it was ftdisk something!

I think I give up! I am out of ideas

Couple of questions..

What is the stated "size of disk" capacity of the drive? Not the shown Windows value.
How big is your file to be transferred? Not the usual value we see "size.' The actual "size on disk."
Do you have any virtual disk programs installed? I have seen numerous and strange issues. With virtual drive software making usual operations unusual.

I have had issues creating XP USB booter drives before. The first attempt was the drive was to small. I never thought to check that aspect.. It was XP and I only added a few items to the ISO. Which spit out error after error.
Then I had issues with UltraISO somehow interfering with the creation of the disk. To fix it: I uninstalled the virtual drive software and rebooted. I pulled out a larger USB drive. Partitioned it manually to 4GiB and made it FAT32. My ISO image was a little over 2GiB. Once I finished all that, it successfully created my booter drive..

Last edited:
Dunno man, I haven't had problems copying files during the installation like that. Like enablingwolf, I would confirm the files exist and are the expected size.

Couple of questions..

What is the stated "size of disk" capacity of the drive? Not the shown Windows value.
How big is your file to be transferred? Not the usual value we see "size.' The actual "size on disk."
Do you have any virtual disk programs installed? I have seen numerous and strange issues. With virtual drive software making usual operations unusual.

I have had issues creating XP USB booter drives before. The first attempt was the drive was to small. I never thought to check that aspect.. It was XP and I only added a few items to the ISO. Which spit out error after error.
Then I had issues with UltraISO somehow interfering with the creation of the disk. To fix it: I uninstalled the virtual drive software and rebooted. I pulled out a larger USB drive. Partitioned it manually to 4GiB and made it FAT32. My ISO image was a little over 2GiB. Once I finished all that, it successfully created my booter drive..

The USB is a 2gb Verbatim. Size of the files on it for Bart and the i386 folder are 684mb. size on disk 870mb

USB properties tells me 876mb used/ free is 1.06gb/ total capacity 1.92gb

I'm stumped and getting :temper::temper:

Have you created a fresh standard user and attempted it? Escalate as it is needed by prompt.

I try and not double post. I want to help get you going. So a fresh post it is.

Usual faults IMO:

Disabled service is not starting. Which is faulting the creation process. It could be trying to call on a service that is not able to reply and allow the service benefits/dependencies. To be used.

Application you have installed. Is overriding the creation process. This is usually from virtual ROM software. (Daemon tools and the like) To put it simply.. There is a process already happening and no new disk creation can happen/finalize while it is running or active.

Permissions and screens. Make sure your user has permissions and had the abilty to read/write on, from the targets. Sometimes, but rare. Composting (Aero) can screw up things and resolutions also. This is usually from an older version of DirectX dependency going bonkers. (This also ties in with virtual machine/drive software and/or drivers.)

There is other things, but stuff can be complicated. Simple solution is to create a new user on the affected machine. Standard User is best. That way you can see if it needs to be escalated or not... Or attempt it in Safe mode. Which is a user account in itself.

Last edited:
Something is bonkers here!

You're post just confused the hell out of me as I am not using a virtual. I am installing from USB to a laptop that currently has no OS on it at all.

It just tossed a cdaudio, ftdisk, and now cbidf2k.sys error. I can skip them, but it just keeps throwing errors at me.

It just tossed a cdaudio, ftdisk, and now cbidf2k.sys error. I can skip them, but it just keeps throwing errors at me.
Them are hardware faults. I am taking a guess at, the USB port is the issue

Back