• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a folding farm!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have, but I like being able to remote in via RDP.

When SSH is incorporated into notfreds image, I might consider using that instead.

This is a little off topic, but how often do you guys with farms check the rigs to make sure they are still folding?

I assume you guys just watch your PPD and if it spikes or drops off really fast, obviously you know something is wrong.

Is there some kind of utility that can keep track of all the farm rigs from an exterior source?

P.S. Nice farm, very clean mounts :cool:

I check mine daily. FAHMon or FAHSpy can keep track of the machines on the LAN. All you have to do is share the folding directory and point to it in the program. The offsite borgs are a different matter - you have to physically check those, unless whoever owns them allows you to remote into them (unlikely).

doh, more dreams crushed...

i guess just buying one large PSu like a 1000W and splitting it to power multiple systems wouldnt be good?

I have considered it.

The two rigs above pull 240 watts combined, so I guess I could hook them both to the same PSU. Sounds like a cool project :)

/digs around for extra ATX bundles...

I have a headless/diskless foldign farm, awesome thing to have. Been using NotFreds setup for years, and have no complaints. in fact.. once it is all up an running, there is no reason ever to access the layers anyway. It is possible to check the progress using the IP address of each layer anyway.
total cost for me? only the price of a mobo and ram. (Frys Elextroniks Specials) :D
Oh and I forgot. I have started using the MicroATX PSU's now. the power requirements are so little, anything else has been a waste. Also discovered that trying to put two layers on a single PSU is bad ( has been for me ) something happens that causes the layers to quit running really really too soon.

Edit: Forgot to say I like the design you have come up with for your farm, excellent idea.

Thanks! And thanks for the heads up on PSU vs layers. I'll avoid that then.

I wonder if there is a feedback induced from board to board over the voltage or signal lines. Might could be fixed with diodes inline...maybe? I dunno, but not worth the trouble IMO.

Wow! I'm impressed. I've thought about doing something similar for years, but never had the spare boards or the room to setup it up (plus the wife was like, "why do you need a shelf full of computers for?").

Would love to see more pictures after you have everything finished.

Acid, thats just your folding rack. You need to post pics of the other multiple rigs you have in every corner of your house.

This is the guy that 3 months ago said he wasn't going to get into folding when I asked him. Then he went insane....

I'm speaking completely hypothetically here, but If I decide to get on good terms with my father again, and his pediatric office still has their basement, I might be able to... "Obtain" a massive (10-20) number of oldish pc's, probably not monitors, probably 3+ years old. I begged him about the prospects years ago but he said not while I was living in his house... Guess it's time to try again ><

Also, I heard differently about beowulfing. I would think it would increase your folding capacity... but I could be wrong. I'll see if I have any friends via aquaintence at like, argonne or cern who would know... if anyone would, it's them X.X

You could try to implement a KVM switch with one mouse, keyboard, and monitor so you wouldn't have to remote into them to check them but to each their own...

I prefer not, what's done is done :)

I don't want to continue discussion of it here either if y'all don't mind, so this thread will remain visible so I can link the continued project later :D

I'm speaking completely hypothetically here, but If I decide to get on good terms with my father again, and his pediatric office still has their basement, I might be able to... "Obtain" a massive (10-20) number of oldish pc's, probably not monitors, probably 3+ years old. I begged him about the prospects years ago but he said not while I was living in his house... Guess it's time to try again ><

Also, I heard differently about beowulfing. I would think it would increase your folding capacity... but I could be wrong. I'll see if I have any friends via aquaintence at like, argonne or cern who would know... if anyone would, it's them X.X

Fewer and newer is better than older and more of 'em. FAH is kind of cruel that way, but older computers just have a larger amount of power being used and heat being created, for a smaller amount of points and WU's. Time has marched on, and no dc project I know of, has marched on faster than FAH.

You can NOT cluster FAH and have it increase the efficiency of individual folders, not in a cluster.

The guys at Argonne or Cern will always tell you some cool cluster idea is great - they're super geeks, what do you expect, eh? :)

Stanford has a cluster, has actually tried it, and found the problem with folding that way. You can ask them at the Stanford forum.

Edit: Whoa, Acid!

Last edited:
Back