• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Card can actually run triple LCDs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
This is not a stupid question, please help me out.

For businesses purposes, I need a VCard that has DIGITAL outputs for 3 displays. Nothing fancy, just 1680x1200 resolutions, maybe even 1920 on one of the displays, nothing more. Digital only, not VGA ports.

I currently have a Radeon 5770, and so far I haven't been able to actually make it run 3 displays, I get a BSOD if I even touch the third (while running Windows, or booting up Windows), and I've had other things with this card that I don't like. But, I require low wattage in idle, and I require at least the performance of the 5770. If I have to go to Nvidia, that's fine... but I need to make sure it can actually run 3 LCDs simultaneously without problems.

What should I do?

Thanks a lot!

Thanks IMOG, long time no see.

Can you help me a step further and point me to exactly what I should buy on ebay, or even show me on Frys.com what I should buy? I can just go into the store to buy one, or I guess I can wait for it to arrive from ebay. That list is just confusing to me, and I've already tried using a few different display port to DVI adapters, BSOD on them... Must not be "powered" or whatever.

the 5770 should work for this but yours may be bad it happens to the best of us :bang head Have you tried multiple driver releases?

No nVidia card can drive three screens off of a single gpu card. This is the biggest reason why I have an ATi card in my system currently. I really hope nVidia fixes this with their next gen.

Given current prices I would look for a 6850 or 6870

For awhile I had an open box 6850 that I got for 89.01 shipped after taxes that was able to display to a 30" and two 20" in portrait unfortunately I needed something a bit more powerful for Skyrim at 2560x1600 so I had to let him go.

I only tried when running Cat 10.9 I think, latest at the time. I bought the card as refurbished directly from MSI in a retail box, so maybe they don't care to test the third output at the factory or something.

The 6850 looks nice, I don't keep up with current cards, but it looks like it still sucks up next to nothing in idle, while still giving quite a bit more performance, which is what I like to hear. If I ditch this card I'll probably upgrade to that. What exactly is the adapter called that I need? Is there a way to get it with a 6850? I just hate spending so much money on a VCard, I only see them for like $150 on ebay BIN.

I have an active display port to single link dvi adapter. However I really don't know what the difference is and if it will affect you. I may be wrong here but I think you need an active adapter for eyefinity but otherwise it doesn't matter :confused:

I would just get, or look for a card that comes with, a display port to active dvi adapter.

Generally the 6 series cards have three non display port ports on one channel of which only two can be used at a time. These are usually 1x DVI dual link 1x DVI single link and an HDMI port of which you can only use two of three at a time. For the third and on screen you will need to use display port or display port adapters.

If you have a DVI-D monitor connection, and a displayport output on your 5770, the following adapters should work. I don't know what sort of output you have on your 5770 though, it is important if its a DP or mini-DP - depending on what you got on your 5770, one of the following is what you need.

The stuff at fry's looks expensive, and maybe not exactly what you need. This would do the trick for a regular displayport connection on your 5770, and is available on ebay:
http://accellcables.com/products/DisplayPort/DP/dp_dvi_sl_active.htm
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...313&_nkw=B087B-005B&_sacat=See-All-Categories

This would do the trick if you have a mini-DP on your 5770:
http://accellcables.com/products/DisplayPort/DP/mdp_dvi_sl_active.htm
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...7B-003J&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

As I mentioned above, and like boss mentioned, you can only use 2 non displayport connections - the third connection MUST be displayport. If you have a displayport monitor, just use a direct displayport cable from monitor to card. If you have a DVI-D monitor, use one of the adapters I linked above.

Back