• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG NZXT H440 "Chaos"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Almost ready to primer...should only take another couple of hours. Powder coating is a real pain in the A$$ to get off!

847u.jpg

What about green instead of white....hmmmmmmmmm

I have the first two primer coats on. A day to dry and sand and then final paint. I also had some time to start laying out the wiring scheme. The main cables will be a tri-color theme with accents of white. The green matches my new tubing perfectly, I'm very happy.

gmrs.jpg

edit: Final coats of primer after sanding. Starting to take shape.

bb9t.jpg

Last edited:
Had a little time to tape up the rads for painting. I'll be able to shoot the psu cover and both rads at the same time this week as we have a warming trend coming!!!

w4zm.jpg

Completed some wiring...not sure if I'm going to stay with this theme as I think it could use more white...but I was planning on doing the 6pin PCI-e in white/green. Going to have to fix a couple of the wires as the shrink moved...The hard thing is coming up with a design that hasn't been done yet. I don't like this scheme, needs more white.

qzqx.jpg

Also had a chance to get the primer on both rads.

fp45.jpg

Last edited:
After hours of playing with different color combinations, and I do mean hours...I've decided to forgo the tri-color scheme and go with a dual-color. The black was just too bold in any fashion for my liking. I will use it for the background wires that I want to blend in:

a9ev.jpg

I also finished the rads and they are currently being cleaned in the kitchen. Hope to have that completed tonight so that I can start prepping the MB and wiring and finish the basic assembly of the case:

recv.jpg

I'm also considering painting the gpu backplanes white...that idea is still in the works:

Time for Final clearance checks and configuration of the case. First, install PSU Cover after a few days of drying:

ffq8.jpg

Then test mount the top rad with fans in push:

m87v.jpg

Hang it and a gaze at it's beauty:

8cb3.jpg

Then drop in front rad for clearance check:

bwsk.jpg

I'm still working on dual 360's that will work with push as this had the best airflow, regardless of fan. If I can't mount and route tubing, I will have to go with my initial configuration of push exhaust on both. That's why we double check before final assembly! Tubing is going to be a pain in the A$$.....

edit: While I was playing with the fans and mounting configurations, I decided to power both sets on each rad to see how they pushed air in the case. I'm saddened by the results as the NB e-loops "load" down in higher static pressure configurations. You can hear them slow down a good bit, I even had my wife come up and listen and she agreed. Additionally, the GT 14's pushed more air in pull or push. I even pulled the rads back out of the case to make sure it wasn't the top and front panels that were causing the problem. Same results but not as sever as when they were mounted in the case with the covers on. I just love the NB e-loops and how they look. The Corsair AP's pushed the most air, but they are by far the loudest...lots of motor noise...too bad also as I think they are really nice fans.

Looks like I'll have some new fans for sale.

27oi.jpg

Last edited:
I'm currently playing with push intake up front and a push intake on top. Push/Pull is not an option for me as I'm running a 45mm rad and there would be no space left in the cage area. Maximum depth is 150 mm, with 140 being safe. Push/Pull would have cost me 90+mm and my res is 63mm round and 270mm tall.

I also played around with both configurations and the push intake produced a noticeably lower amount of static loading on the fans, hence more air flow. Additionally, I'm playing with the idea of modding the front and top covers to allow for additional air which really benefits a intake scenario.

As for the heatshrinkless vs heatshrink on my wiring, I'm still playing with that also as I'm waiting for the final shipment of pins and sleeving from LutroO. Those were just 6" lengths of loom to see what it looked like. I also plan on using white wire for the white looms to keep it bright. As for removal of the pins, what a pain in the A$$...some came right out but most I had to really tug on to the point I thought I was going to destroy the pin and/or connector! I will say that the pin remover from LutroO is the best I've ever used...he even hardens the ends with heat to make them stronger!

The front rad mounted for final clearance checks and tubing:

wn02.jpg

Inside view with the inlet/outlet ports on the bottom:

18sq.jpg

Here is the current configuration...but this requires I loose the bottom area where I was planning on putting my 1TB Raptor :(

Looking up:

12fk.jpg

Front/Top Clearance:

0my7.jpg

Top Fans:

xdze.jpg

Total Case Layout:

0d4k.jpg

I was able to finish the front rad and install the plumbing:

e4vd.jpg

Then came the fitting into the case. As you can see (sorry for the bad photos but the gloss white really messes up the auto-focus) there isn't much room to spare, 2~3mm on top:

i1c1.jpg

and 5~7 between the res and the psu cover:

tmv9.jpg

All in all it was a good day and I hope to start the plumbing between the rads tomorrow.

mvqo.jpg

So which fans are you going to go with? Couldn't tell if you were ditching the eLoops or not based on that last post.

So which fans are you going to go with? Couldn't tell if you were ditching the eLoops or not based on that last post.

I'm going with the e-loops. Since I was able to reconfigure for dual push, the loading is not an issue. With that in mind, the e-loops just look bitchin and are the quietest of all the fans and sound smooth. I have the bp-3's up front and bp-2's on the top.

Things have been slow after my surgery, but it's starting to pick up again...into the final stretch!

I finished with the final tubing mods by installing the pass-through in the psu cover and creating the drain holes in the case. This way I can drain straight from the lower rad:

rbxh.jpg

9ld5.jpg

I also completed the LCD mod to allow it to mount on the psu side of the bezel...I knew this would be tight but you have no idea. The leds have been changed out to green and the voltage dropped and the lcd is green with black digits:

4o5z.jpg

x8mi.jpg

I also mounted the rear supports for the MB Tray and finished all the lower riveting. I was planning on mounting some led strips behind the MB for a 3-d effect and glow output. Just not enough room for my liking...too close to circuit contacts so this was scrapped. Installed the I/O shield and mounted the MB. Now I can start working on the wiring for the psu before I complete the front end rad build...I need a break from all the tubing issues I've run into. Too much for such a small case, acrylic would have taken almost 13 fittings out of the build and made life easier...next build or future mod on this one.

0bbgw.jpg

yqv9.jpg

I also added some foam to the res cradle...this should help insulate and protect the res from the pump vibrations:

0qxm.jpg

Last edited:
After destroying lots of connectors, I think I finally have it down. Now it's time to get serious about the wiring in the middle of this chaos. Prep your work area (beer is just out of viewing area):

en7n.jpg

Now shred and burn your fingers for the next few hours and you can have this:

nxzi.jpg

While it's not a custom LutroO loom, it turned out really nice if I say so. I think the shrinkless is much cleaner then using shrink...IMO. I also think I'm going to redo the SATA cables in green as I've taken all the black out of the wiring. The black adds a really nice contrast on the white psu cover, but I think the green will be equally as eye catching:

e42i.jpg

While it's not trainable like a custom LutroO loom, it turned out really nice if I say so. Burnt my fingers way too many times performing the shrinkless mod, but it's much cleaner then using shrink...IMO.

Need to work with Sgtgates on a front/top panel mod and give my fingers a day or two of rest. We came up with a couple pretty cool designs, now I need to get mine on paper for the master to emulate...more to follow on that.

So, I spent a little time trying to put down my idea for the additional vents on the front and top of the case...I'm not a pain expert and have little patience for such things while working on a laptop...but you will get the idea:

odrh.jpg

I'd personally go with more, smaller vents than what you have there. But, I'm not the one that has to live with your case :) Nice idea, and fits the style of the case very nicely.

I'd personally go with more, smaller vents than what you have there. But, I'm not the one that has to live with your case :) Nice idea, and fits the style of the case very nicely.

Yep, those turned out too large...I was just really tired of playing with paint on this laptop...

That is going to look nice. :clap:

You going to have to dremel those ouit? Or do you have access to something nicer?

Back