• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling nightmare stories

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There was a thread a while back from someone who had both his CPU and GPU overheat. The CPU lived but the video card was a goner.

He was never sure exactly what the problem was, but it might have been that he cleaned the parts with a green, scented alcohol solution. My guess is the stuff had some kind of oil in it and he was basically cleaning his chips and blocks with hand lotion.

I dont have any pics, but when I was re-building my loop I re-filled it to leak test with all my hardware installed, luckily I am super-paranoid and had everything double wrapped in towels, but lets just say my entire dual 5.25inch bay res emptied into my case hehe. And guess what? NOTHIN DIED!!!! WOOT!!!

Last night was my nightmare
look at my SIG - i think i'm well over 4k in parts now

the apogee has plastic barbs - i didn't bare down enough to compress the o-ring down into its groove

didn't even know it was leaking
leaked down onto top 7800 and into the top pcie slot

i acually kept hitting power over and over before i seen the little water standing on top of the 7800

after tearing it apart and wiping it down with rags a couple times - still no luck
i was scared it had fried it

then i took a blow dryer and dried out the pcie slot and it fired right up

but this GM DEX COOL antifreeze has left like a slick feeling film behind

now that i have ordered DD UV Blue tubing, i got to tear it apart 1 more time

so i'm trying to figure the best way to clean up the mess

electronics store said best way was SPRAY can of 99% isopropal alchohol

i'm thinking to pray out the slot and take air hose right quick and blow it out good before it evaperates

~RD

Back