• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"AMD driver has stopped responding and has recovered"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EYS

Registered
[SOLVED 4/24/11]"AMD driver has stopped responding and has recovered"

Well about a month ago I put together my first build and everything has been working great so far (Fast, plays all games I throw at it greatly) except the only problem is if I play a game it will randomly shut down maybe 15-30 mins into game play to a black screen and a few seconds later and my monitors will read "No DVI signal". And then I'll have to reboot my system. Although if I get to the task manager fast enough before it completely shuts down I can get to my desktop where it will read "AMD driver has stopped responding and has recovered".

Sometimes it wont do it for a while, but other times it will do it often when I'm playing games. Although it has done it once when I was just browsing the Internet.

Here are the specs.

Monitors: ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" (3, I have an Eyefinity setup)

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 BE

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE

CPU cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212

GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6970

PSU: CORSAIR 650W

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series CL7 4GB

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC SSD

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 7200 RPM

All the temperatures are fine so it's not overheating.

I've uninstalled drivers, I've installed the latest drivers multiple times.

I've Updated the BIOs on the motherboard.

I don't know what to do, any ideas? Thanks a lot if you can.

**UPDATE 4/24/11**

I just wanted to post up that the problem involved was the RAM, not quite sure why exactly, but I got new Corsair Vengeance RAM and everything seems to be working great.

I just wanted to put this up just in case if anyone else goes through this problem and has as much trouble with it as I did.

Last edited:
Ok, well I'm back and it still does it after using only 1 screen. So now what should I try? :/

It also happened again when I was only browsing the Internet, except after the amd message popped up, my computer went to the blue screen.

Last edited:
Have you tried uninstalling your drivers and then reinstalling them? Is your Chip set drivers up to date? Might try flashing the BIOS to a newer version.

Have you tried uninstalling your drivers and then reinstalling them? Is your Chip set drivers up to date? Might try flashing the BIOS to a newer version.

Yeah I've done that multiple times. And yeah, I downloaded the latest ones from the Gigabyte website. And I updated my bios a few days ago.

Do you use driversweeper when uninstalling old drivers?

No, first few times I just unistalled them regularly. Then I tried uninstalling them and then deleting any ATI related thing almost before installing them again.

I"ll give that a shot though.

Uninstall driver -> Boot into safe mode -> run driversweeper -> boot back into windows -> install new drivers

Uninstall driver -> Boot into safe mode -> run driversweeper -> boot back into windows -> install new drivers

Alright well I tried that but the problem still occurred. I think I'll try some older drivers, maybe that will work. And if not, I guess I should rma it? Or any other ideas?

I had this problem, and it wound up being my ram timing/voltages. Did you set all those properly when you built it?

Try Disabling your Catalyst A.I. some older games make my card crash with it enabled, been doing that since I upgraded from 8.663.1_Beta5_Hemlock (first driver I used for my 5970) to 9.12 . I have no problem with DirectX 10 or 11 games.

I had this problem, and it wound up being my ram timing/voltages. Did you set all those properly when you built it?

Well I put them in, but I haven't messed with any voltages or anything. Alright I'll try that, I saw someone else mention it could be my RAM too so I'll definitely check that out. I hope it works.

Try Disabling your Catalyst A.I. some older games make my card crash with it enabled, been doing that since I upgraded from 8.663.1_Beta5_Hemlock (first driver I used for my 5970) to 9.12 . I have no problem with DirectX 10 or 11 games.

Well it happens with any game I play whether it be Crysis, COD, Deadspace 1/2, etc... But I'll check that out too.

Thanks again guys.

i had the same problem i was waiting for 11.1 to come out but the day it came out i had sold my mobo and i5750 and am waiting for my new processor to come in so i can use the new drivers and hopefully not have the issue again :) but mine was doing it with the 10.12a drivers

Back