• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Need a big case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ptath

Hiya all

I've been reading here a while now its time for my first post :)

Basically what I need is a big case, bigger than a full tower even. At the moment im using 2 cases bolted side by side for the extra room I need but access to the back of the case can be difficult, the current pc has 5 hd's a dvd drive and a cdrw drive, this will be a starting point for the new pc.

My idea is to mod one of these.........

http://www.office-world.co.uk/gowliv/images/large/303424.jpg

I allready have one kicking about, it measures 270mm wide, 400mm deep and 600mm high, its not as deep as I would have liked though. I intend to make the front out of aluminium sheet (I have some 6mm sheet available too), take off one side and replace with a door, probably windowed, the motherboard mounting would be from an old pc case I have that has a removable motherboard frame.

My thoughts are that the size of the case will lend its self to easy access and easy air cooling, important for me as this pc will be running 24/7

I did consider building a case from scratch but I dont think I would be able to get the outer finish to the case I would want, visable fixings etc :(

These are my thoughts at the moment, nothing is set in stone and i'm open to suggestions on what to use for a case (the 600mm height is a limit) and any other comments you care to make :D

i second that! the lian-li pc76 is more sleek designed among these three. very quality case if you ask me:)

I would go with a lian-li PC-7X series, they are great cases and very mod freindly and easy to work with in general. my 61 (a smaller version of the 71) is so modular, everything, even a mobo tray, slides out.

Modify a file cabinet is okey but ur main problem, IMO, will be the cabling. Basically everything moves, so u hafta have real long wire harness and tha is messy when u hafta r/r something. Even if u are REAL slick and come up with plug in adaptors and sockets (i.e. main wires are secured to side of cabinet and have plug in points) still not user friendly. :(

Go with rack mount cases.

Back