• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Newbie's Guide to Overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the great walk through! This is just the sort of thing I've been looking for to get me started .....much appreciated!

stan03 said:
blasphemy!!!!!!! :eek:

:p

I know, I know........but that little overclocking demon in the back of my brain got to me, and I decided I needed to come back for my own well-being.

Still looking for updates...keep me posted. ;)

altec said:

I know, I know........but that little overclocking demon in the back of my brain got to me, and I decided I needed to come back for my own well-being.

Still looking for updates...keep me posted. ;)
ummm ill kick ya in da head if ya take off again!
hey dude nice seeing ya around again.:D

btw i musta been on my summer vacation with my kids when ya did this thread so i need to read up and see what goodies ya wrote about!

I just finished going through and making some minor changes in grammar, mis-spellings, and things that I didnt feel that I was very clear on. I also added c627627's proposal about the newer CPU's being locked....just to clear things up a bit.

If there are any other issues, please tell me, keep me updated on the more recent stuff going on in our little AMD overclocking community....I would like to keep this thing as up-to-date as possible. ;)

P.S. Good to see you too death....i thought you may have left since you were gone so long yourself. When your ead this man, if you get around to it, remember that you taught me a lot of this stuff through all of those lengthy PM's about my n00bness. :p

Last edited:
Hi, Altec,
long time no see.

I added a lots more materials on analysis of overclocking since summer.
E.g. one of your favorite subject: electromigration, namely on CPU life expectancy.

All the links are in the first post of this thread.

Last edited:
All I can say hitechjb is wow.

I will have to make my through all of that slowly, I think that if I tried to conquer it all tonight my eyes may begin to bleed uncontrollably. :eek:

Wow, reading through this, it is incredibly outdated. I guess when I took all those long leaves of absence really hurt my baby.

Since I have been gone so long, I am most definatley am out of the loop, so I will be doing research for a while, and hopefully I can get this guy a little more updated.

Gautam, c627627, hitechjb1, deathstar13, and anyone else who can help bring me back up to speed, please throw me some insight....it's much needed.

Thanks fellas,
Tray

altec said:
Wow, reading through this, it is incredibly outdated. I guess when I took all those long leaves of absence really hurt my baby.

Since I have been gone so long, I am most definatley am out of the loop, so I will be doing research for a while, and hopefully I can get this guy a little more updated.

Gautam, c627627, hitechjb1, deathstar13, and anyone else who can help bring me back up to speed, please throw me some insight....it's much needed.

Thanks fellas,
Tray

Welcome back. We are getting closely (overclocking) to 1000 DDR HT bus and 3+ GHz A64, ....

For XP platform, check out the 45 W mobile barton, and the DFI nforce2 ultra infinity mothboard which can generally run higher FSB than the NF7-S rev 2.0 (but Vcore setting not as high though).

For A64 platform, it is a new generation of
- CPU architecture (64-bit and associated features, on chip memory controller, larger L2 cache, ...)
- silicon technolgy (SOI and soon 90 nm)
- system technolgy (separate memory and HT system bus, and many new devices int the future, e.g. PCI-express)
- OS and software (64-bit OS and applications)
- more features in chipset and motherboards (e.g. faster serial link, raid 0+1, faster network, ...)

- The memory controller for A64 is on the CPU chip. As such and the separate memory bus, the effective memory latency is lower.

- A64 has many new CPU architecture, more raw power, higher stock CPU frequency, scalability to next generation 90 nm SOI silicon technology

- A64 platform replaces the single system bus (aka FSB) of XP by two SEPARATE buses, namely a memory bus and a HyperTransport HT system bus (connecting to all system devices via the north bridge). As a result, the system bandwidith would be two to four time that of an XP system running the same bus frequency.

There are two main platforms, namely 754 and 939 sockets (we can skip the third one 940 for now)

- I consider 754 for price/performance,
- I consider 939 for higher end, scalability and compatibility of motherboard features and CPU (price and yield) into the future.
- Both 754 and 939 have L2 cache size 512 KB or 1 MB, eventually to 2 MB (for 939).
About total system bandwidth (memory + HT) is about two times of XP for 754, four times 939.
- The difference between 754 and 939 is the memory bus bandwidth. 128-bit dual channel memory bus for 939 and 64-bit for 754.

Estimation and importance of 939 platform memory bandwidth (page 19)

Differences between the XP FSB and the A64 buses (separate memory bus and HyperTransport bus) (page 19)

Some remarks on cache latency, cache size, memory latecny and memory bandwidth (for A64's) (page 19)

Last edited:
hitechjb1, you say "DFI nforce2 infinity mothboard can run higher FSB than the NF7-S rev 2.0," I'm still confused, I thought people posted that DFI FSB is not the same as Abit FSB, what are your thoughts about Abit with lower FSB outperforming DFI with higher FSB, all other things being equal?

c627627 said:
hitechjb1, you say "DFI nforce2 infinity mothboard can run higher FSB than the NF7-S rev 2.0," I'm still confused, I thought people posted that DFI FSB is not the same as Abit FSB, what are your thoughts about Abit with lower FSB outperforming DFI with higher FSB, all other things being equal?

I don't have first hand experience w/ it, but reading the motherboard posts on the DFI nforce2 ultra infinity, it is one of the recent popular board beside the NF7-S rev 2. People are getting higher FSB from it. Put it there for some info for Altec to consider.

Yes, DFI is the most popular board besides Abit's, especially since it joined the club of just two nForce2s posting all multipliers on all unlocked CPUs (previously made up of Soltek and Abit.)

The big question is not which board gets higher FSBs (DFI does) but what of Intel MHz vs AMD MHz example being used as crude comparisons why DFI FSB is not the same as Abit FSB.

Thanks for the heads up guys, I will do some research on the issue and see what I can come up with.

Keep the ideas flowing. ;)

With best regards,
Tray

i need help to oc this computer, i try the pencil trick well that didn't work you can see what i have and i need some help

Last edited:
ok here's a question is there some type on sealant top of the AMD Duron 1.600 processor stoping me from using the pencil trick on L1

Welcome to the forums

Why don't you do a search using "duron, pencil, trick" to see whether there are something coming up, or start a new thread with a little bit more details about the problem, ....

Back