• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

***Volt Mod's For AsRock SataII***

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
Ok I have read thru the big thread about this board and havn't found what I'am looking for. I dont really like soldering on motherboard's and really like using smd grabber's.

According to this you can change the resistor from a 2.1k ohm to 150 ohm and get around 3.04 vddim.

I would like to know if you can use the pencil trick for this to lower the resistance and get maybe 2.85 vddim or 2.9?

For the vcore I have found the you can use different ohm resistors and get different level's of a vcore setting by using this guide

Also I have found that you can get a solid 1.55 vcore using this But I want to be able to have an adjustable vcore where maybe 1.45=1.6.

Any help would be great.
Jonspd

MOD's

1.Vcore
RHCF mod found here
OCWorkBench mod found here
techPowerUp mod found here
ochungry 1.5 vcore mod and 1.375-1.45 normal vcore in post 28

2.Vddim
RHCF vddim mod found here (same page as vcore mod just further down the post)
OCWorkBench mod found here
techPowerUp mod found here
ochungry easy mod without soldering found in post 141

3.Vdrop provided by persivore @ xs here

4.Vldt_Vdd_Vagp provided by persivore @ xs here

5.Vpci-e provided by persivore @ xs here

6.Vtt and Vsb provided by persivore @ xs here

7.Voltage Read Point's.
Vdd and Vldt here
Vagp here
Vpci-e and vtt here

8.Vddim & Vldt Read Via MBM5.
Thanks to ochungry for moding the winbond chip here

BIOS
04XX found here
OCW found here

References

DataSheet's provided by persivore @ xs
Vcore
LM324 (used for Vdimm, Vtt, Vsb, Vnb, Vldt, Vcca, Vagp)

Others
Understanding Resistors here
Resistors calculator. here

Any other link's for info about helping mod this board plz post them or P.M. me.
Jonspd

Last edited:
At first I did the OCW vcore mod with the paint, and used it for a while. But I got up to where I needed more than 1.55 vcore so I undid it and did the rebels haven vcore mod with a 10K resistor and I'm very happy with it.

http://www.rhcf.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=30;t=000029;p=0

I also did the rebels haven vdimm mod, but I used conductive paint instead of soldering it, cause I wanted to test my memory with it before I made it permanent. I still have the 2 spots bridged with conductive paint and everything works great with 3.1 vdim. I will later solder a jumper there to make it more permanent though, when I get around to it.

For your first question, I don't know about using a pencil trick. But if you change that resistor to a 150 ohm then you might be able to set vdimm to medium in the bios and it give you 2.9 or so. I'm not really sure how that mod works with the bios settings.

For the vcore, I don't think you can connect any of the VID and SGND to get an adjustable vcore across the board. I think only certain ones are active with certain groups of vcore settings in the bios. If you want to raise the vcore a certain amount on every vcore settig in the bios, I think you should stick to the rebels haven mod. With a 10K resistor I get around .18 over what I set in the bios.

Good luck with your 146 opty. I've been VERY happy with mine.

Still looking for a smd grabber mod there is a few chip's with good leg's that can be used going to have to do further research it look's like. I'am pretty sure that this can be done with a smd grabber there is like a said a few chip's some located in the places where they are in part of the vddim. I haven't found one the the vcore but the one below the dimm slot's has 8 leg's and look's like the one I used to do my vddim mod on my last motherboard.

Jonspd

Last edited:
My tccd can't take 3.1vdimm they'll fry! Anyway of keeping it a steady 2.9v w/ conductive paint?

Well good new's I found a way to use a varable resistor for the vddim with a SMD grabber here http://www.techpowerup.com/articles//overclocking/voltmods/130/3 which seem's to be just what I was looking for.

Also I think I'am just going with the OCW vcore mod as I'am pretty sure it want be to hard to use some sort of conductive something to connect them.

ANYONE have a conductive pen they will let me borrow or will AS5 work?

jonspd said:
Well good new's I found a way to use a varable resistor for the vddim with a SMD grabber here http://www.techpowerup.com/articles//overclocking/voltmods/130/3 which seem's to be just what I was looking for.

Also I think I'am just going with the OCW vcore mod as I'am pretty sure it want be to hard to use some sort of conductive something to connect them.

ANYONE have a conductive pen they will let me borrow or will AS5 work?

Go buy a rear window defogger repair kit at any auto parts store. It has some copper conductive paint in a little bottle thats easy to apply with a toothpick or small needle.

snakeskinner said:
Go buy a rear window defogger repair kit at any auto parts store. It has some copper conductive paint in a little bottle thats easy to apply with a toothpick or small needle.

Thanks for the advice. That is the cheapest solution and it worked great. I also have plenty to fix my Mustangs rear Defogger. ;)

The OCW Vcore mod is the easiest mod I have ever done. It allowed me to hit 2.62 Ghz w/ 1.475v on my Opteron 165. Now, Im waiting for my new cooling, so I can keep it there. :attn:

Seem's someone is also working on a NB\SB, vdroop, vtt, etc vmod's.

jonspd thanks you so much. I too been hungry for those mods. :clap:
Now I have more apatite for playing w/ this board. ummmmm delicioso
Jame, I race you to first one posting w/ these mods :burn:

Np and bump for editing.

Plz post result's somewhere.

jonspd, before i do any of these mods, I wanna find out what resistor gives what, because i dont like VR's, they are not reliable and prone to accidental high voltage.
I would just install a single resistor for fixed voltatge, or build me a little variable resistor board to adjust the ohm.

Edit:
jonspd,
jame asked me in "new asrock" thread so posted there.
But basically: I replaced the 890 ohm "droop mod" w/ 1k and vcore fluctuation is still there but not as much. before the 1K I had tried 2.42 K but no post. Next I am using a 1.5K. all fixed resistors(NO VR for me).
Now I am building me a pin socket w/ resistors as a homemade VR.
I tore off IDE socket from an old mobo and am soldering resistors w/ different values to the pins extruded in the backside. some are in series and some independent. also have 100 ohms for decimal final values. with this I use a jumper (or 2-3 together) to short the pins and get the resistor value I want. sort of works like a VR, but much safer and steady/accurate reading.

Last edited:
Edited top post to show datasheet's.

Hope it help's alittle Jame.

Hey Jonspd,

Did you ever get your SMD grabber Vdimm mod to work?

If you did, can you let me know what type of SMD grabber you used? I'm looking to do an SMD grabber mod as well. I want to get up to 2.9v Vdimm, so I can attempt this OC with a 1:1 ratio.

I saw your post at extreme about maybe pencil modding R3107. I think that will work. Did you try it?

I'm all about easy mods like yourself. Just ask my pencil modded X800. :cool:

Great thread here with all the updated links. :thup:

Thanks for the links, Jonspd.

I found a place to get the SMD grabbers local using that part number.

I'm also getting two 1/4 Watt Resistors. A 560 ohm and a 510 ohm. I'm shooting for a max of 2.9v Vdimm , so I was thinking the 510 ohm or the 560 ohm resistor should get me pretty close.

jonspd said:
Yes smd grabber mod is working now and have had it up to 3.07 vddim so far.

I got mine from a member here. I think he got them from here

http://www.elexp.com/clp_5243.htm you have to buy 20$ min but I think you can get them from here also any color and in single's http://www.emulation.com/catalog/of...ies/smd_grippers/clip_to/do-it-yourself_clip/

Havn't played with doing a pencil mod sence I dont have a pencil that would work.

Jonspd
I though elec express only required a $10 minimum, anyways they have tons of cool stuff that one could add on. They even sell 80mm case fans! Anyhow I had to order some stuff for school from them, and shipping was very swift, great service.

Back