• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling an AMD 1.2 GHZ cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monstaloc

Registered
I recently bought a HSF (gotta return it and buy a better one) and some thermal grease. A lot of my research only seems to explain how to apply this grease to Slot 1 CPUs. I have an AMD 1.2 GHz Slot A, I'm not exactly sure where to put the grease. Another question is, is all the grease the same? and if not, how much different can each be? Thanks.

actually a loaded a question, but here it goes. Ok, first, what fan are you using on that T-Bird. Hopefully you have a globalwin or an alpha to cool it. I would go with a PEP66 and a delta fan if you can stand the noise. If not then use the 80mm hack to attache a quieter fan. But this depends on your mobo. What mobo do you have?? Some mobos can fit the heatsinks, and some have capacitors that are in the way. Now for thermal grease. No, all thermal grease is not created equal. Arctic Silver II is the best, as it has silver in it for optimum conductence of heat. To apply the grease to the cpu just spread a thin layer over the core(it is the large chip in the center of the cpu), and then put your hsf on it. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply. I have a cooler master, but not sure what model because I'm at work and the HSF is at home. After articles from Tom's hardware and your forum, the global win sounds like the choice for me. I have an Asus A7M266 mother board. All the stuff is still in the boxes. One more question. If I have some cheap no name thermal grease, will that even help at all?

monstaloc (Apr 06, 2001 12:24 p.m.):
Thanks for the reply. I have a cooler master, but not sure what model because I'm at work and the HSF is at home. After articles from Tom's hardware and your forum, the global win sounds like the choice for me. I have an Asus A7M266 mother board. All the stuff is still in the boxes. One more question. If I have some cheap no name thermal grease, will that even help at all?

Thermal grease is important regardless of the brand. That said, some do better than others.

One more thing. Use a very small amount of thermal grease. A drop in the corner and then spread it out across using a razor. It should be papper thin.

Back