• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats the purpose of all this extreme cooling crap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, mostly is a hobby just to see if you can do it!!!, also BRAGGIN RIGHTS GALORE-not that i have any! But thats whatd i do it for. It be sweet to say "YA i got a 1.8 gig duron/tbird" custom i mean!!! and watch their mouths drop

I'm a #3 and #4, I do it because it's fun. It's my hobby and I enjoy doin things to my system to make it run a little faster, look a little cooler, and, to have somewhere to spend all my money. Sheesh, if I didnt spend all my money on my system, I'd have too much and then where would I be?

Well I got home from the sacred grounds of Joe Louis Arena tonite , after watching the Red Wings take apart the LA Kings in round 1 of the quest for the Stanley Cup. Had a few brews and a couple of cigars, my lady said she was going to bed and said she would see me in the AM. The reason, she knew I was going to mess w/ the puter' and check in at "THE FORUM" (for you LA fans its not the same as the one in la-la land.)
I what do I find, but a bunch testostersone filled puter' freaks trying to explain why they spend huge chunks of their salary, hours of their day and much of their remaining sanity overclocking a "perfectly good computer".
Man, I love you Guys!!!

im a mix of 1-4. i like to brag(why not?), im on a budget...so i need to skimp where i can, i like the challenge, and its a fun hobby. i certainly dont spend $200 on cooling, my whole watercooling setup cost me $30. couple that with my duron 700@1100 that cost me $50, ive got myself an $80 1.1ghz cpu that kicks the pants off a p3 1ghz. i think that justifies my efforts.

btw, why do these people who hate ocing come here anyways? are they trying to make us quit the habbit? reminds me of the jehovahs witnesses, knocking on yer door to try and change your way of thinking....

I am a #4. Just something to do to keep me occupied.

A quick point about cost... since you can reuse almost all the parts of a watercooling setup when you upgrade, the cost really gets dilluted after one or two upgrades. My $80 watercooling setup has run in 3 different computers over the past 28 months, K7, celeronII and a Duron system. I consider it money well spent.

I started out trying to build a new comp for cheap, now its turning in to a hobby, so i guess i would be a #3/ #2.

I don't understand the 4s. I have to make time for this. Define it as dedication or a serious sickness.

Back