• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

experienced overclockers...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RaPiDfIrE

please can you help me i have (system spec below) and i have always overclocked my systems, but i don't seem to be able to clock this one very successfully, i can only get it up to around 1470 and then it all goes stop. is my chip clock-locked (and if so how do i unlock it?) i would appreciate any help given

the only thing i seem to be able to change is the system clock speed, of which i can get it from 133 up to 145Mhz anything above that doesn't boot properly, and even so, i wanna push this baby to the limit

Last edited:
Are you saying you can't adjust the multiplier at all? if so, the chip is locked and you'll need to reconnect the L1 bridges.

As far as I know, the 1.4 266FSB chips are unlocked and the 200FSB versions are locked.

Please remove the links to your site and forums from your signature.

I'll let you know now before a moderator comes along and tells you after making too many posts that you are no longer welcome.

If you need to know the forum rules of conduct, pm a mod and I'm sure they'll let you know all about the way we go about things in here.

It's a nice place - you'll enjoy it !!!

As Violator said - if you can't adjust the clock multiplier, then your L1 bridges must be cut and you will need to reconnect them. This is going to take some work. You're going to have to remove your heat sink and look carefully at the ceramic. There'll be a few pairs of little gold-ish colored "bridges" or lines. If you look closely on some, most notably the L7 bridges, then you'll notice that they appear to have tiny black scratches cutting across them. I believe this is done by laser (?). You'll need to reconnect the L1 bridges using either a conductive pen, a pencil, or one of those rear window defogger kits available from an auto shop (like NAPA). Then again, if you have a 1.4 it should already be unlocked. Please post with more info!

i'll take a good look at the chip and get back to you guys, btw i really appreciate the help here guys, i've also been looking at the mobo and there are dip switches to set the core voltage and frequency manually but the manual only takes it up to 1.2Ghz CPU dunno why cos the board supports 1.4 CPU strange, and light thrown on this matter would be nice also, i think this may be another way to up the speed of the system

The board was probably designed when there were no 1.4s on the market. This should be no problem if later BIOS have support. Sometimes predictions don't turn out as planned. ;)

checked the cpu

ok i've checked the cpu and it's NOT clock locked the L1 bridges ARE connected, so the problem seems to lie with the board, this is really bugging the hell outta me, can anyone pls help ?

Sorry to tell you this but the:

"Asus A7M266's mirage: The label indicating the individual settings for the clock multiplier means absolutely nothing. The board does not permit alteration of Athlon's clock multiplier - the required switches have not been integrated into the board.

Overclocking enthusiasts who refrain from soldering-work might as well forget about using these boards. None of the tested boards offered the possibility of modifying the clock multiplier. You can only overclock the processor slightly by increasing the front-side-bus, thus also changing the memory, PCI and AGP clock."

Copy and pasted from Tom's Hardware.

There is more about this board at http://www.tomshardware.com/ just do a search under articles for asus a7m266.

damn!

does this mean that there is no way that i can really up the speed of my CPU, i only bought this board cos i was told that it was fairly good for oc'ing :-(

From what I undrstand there is a mod you can do to the board that involves soldering the board but I'm not sure. Ask in AMD mobo forum. Someone will know.

Back